Late registration vs Early registration

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You want to play hands with the fish, the fish are usually the first out in tourneys, if you register late the fish chips are already in the villans stacks.

X

Xcalibur

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I like to start over, you can earn chips from chips, as well as money in PKO tournaments

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I would choose an early check in. Very comfortable level of blinds and you can play more accurately.

Late registration is a very large variance for players :)

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
each person will have a different perspective and some may agree, but look in my case it depends on: is the tournament fast? or slow? If the tournament is fast, I register from the beginning because the blinds go by very quickly and it's more pressure. On the other hand, if the tournament is very slow and long in registration, I prefer to register when more than half of the registration has passed, so there isn't so much pressure and I will not be so tired from so many hours of play

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Sometimes I play early , when I am in the mood to play poker for hours . Other times I choose late registration . Some tourneys I prefer to play with 60-70 BB , other tourneys with few or very few blinds , it depends .

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I generally avoid late registration. I prefer to register before the start of the tournament. It seems to me that late registration requires the player to play more aggressively, and accordingly the risk increases, and extra risk usually leads to extra losses :)

W

wengz2002

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer late reg mainly to reduce the tournament playing time! :cool:

meagain00

meagain00

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I know that when you come earlier you can use all of your toolbox. But, I do prefer late register, sometimes on the last minute. And for me, it's not a big problem. I can start with 10bb and double up a few times.

There's no right or wrong, do what you think more comfortable to you.

GL

meagain00

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you don't want to have to transverse the minefield of rec and amateur players found at the beginning of the tournaments then late registration is best for you. On the other hand if you want to get some of the chips of those players and build your stack before the easy pickings are all on the rail then being there at the start is best. So it depends on your goals and style of play.

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the best thing is to register early, to have time to come to the good hands and get a double against a weaker player, in the late registration you will have to risk more and you will have few chips to get a significant double.

B

BlanTend

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PL
Chips
who knows the password to private tournament GG poker ?

GNuTTz

GNuTTz

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Early registration over late. I have more success when I start tournaments on time.

Zaner

Zaner

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hey!

Been indulging in poker a lot more as of recently, I'm 21 and hopefully a potential threat within the future poker community.
Was wondering what was better in terms of efficiency; joining a tournament towards the end of the registration times (20-30bb ss) or is it better to join tournaments earlier (100+ bb ss).
Been having a lot of success joining tournaments during the later period of the tournament, as players tend to be a little more restless during these times (imo atleast).
But was curious to hear other opinions on what period of registration makes the most sense, as although both have pros and cons, veterans of the poker world should know what is more efficient or could it all be dependent of individual playstyle?

Thanks in advance!
Tyreece
depends if the tournament is turbo or regular.but if you into in the tournament early you have more time to apply the technic

GERSteven

GERSteven

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Hello,
I definitely prefer early! because then the blinds are still small and you can get used to it.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in the long run it is usually better to register early because you will have more opportunities to build a big stack in medium and late stages of the tournament however late registration has the advantage that you wont be as tired as most of the other players however you will have a below average stack so you wont have that much time to build a stack.

Roobz75

Roobz75

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
From my own experience, in online poker tournaments, I prefer to join later and have had better payouts doing so. The bingo players and erratics are usually taken out within the first half hour. Always great to watch the tournament lobby info quickly whittle down big chunks of numbers. Then you can concentrate more on the table and the game.

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
As to anything there are more correct answers to this question and it comes down to different variables:
-What kind of tournament are you playing?
-How high is the buy-in?
-How experienced are you?
-How many players are expected to register for this tournament?
-What is your style of play before you hit the final tables?
-And many more...

Objectively looking at it, early register should be favourable approach as you can play maximum amount of hands that way and probability to play better cards is greater that way. At the same time it's also a safer way to build a decent stack of chips, but due to subjective nature of a human being that might not always be true.
As many already stated, most of the "fish" players that play erratic are knocked out within first hour of the tournament and knowing how to mingle with them could net you a very juicy stack, but you don't always know who they are and they can push you out of hands that you should be winning against "normal" opponents and even when you dominate hands, poker can still be poker and screw you with insane flop to river cards.

Personally I take the following approach:
-Knock out/bounty builder tournaments I register as soon as possible, as you can collect quite some funds within first hour of play, feasting on that delicious fish.
-Higher buy-in tournaments I register within 45 min after start of it as you don't meet so many erratic players there.
-Lower buy-in tournaments I register with around 20 bb, try to avoid as many donkies and just go for the gamble with the few good hands I get.

This approach usually works the best for me, but at the end of the day a lot comes up to every single person and what works best for them.

Tadi

Tadi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
Hello!
I like to play the most from the very beginning of the tournament, but I also manage late registration. If you have success in late registration, that's how it works, you save time and often money. Everything is relative. At the beginning of the tournament I make a big stack, sometimes I keep it until IMT, and sometimes I have as much left as if I registered late.

viniavelar2

viniavelar2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In numbers, you will win more if you start at the beginning because you will have a better chance of winning, but you have to have a good mind not to enter any hand

serj537

serj537

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MD
Chips
I've been playing for over 5 years. I prefer late check-in.

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As mentioned is relative, you can create a strategy for both options, I prefer to enter from the beginning for the greater number of BB's, that way, even taking a "blow", in most of the time I still have time/stake to get back on my feet, entering later the margin for this is smaller.

M

mcbeaker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
It has already been suggested here: in bounty tournaments it is a clear mathematical mistake to enter too late. This is due to the prize pool, half of which is on the players' heads. With each knockout, the total prize pool is reduced, since part of the money goes to the account of the respective winner. If you register one or even two hours after the start, a bunch of prize money is already no longer exisitent.