Late registration vs Early registration

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
This depends on the tourney structure for me, generally if it's a decent structure and the size of tourney I like I'll probably reg on time, if it's a rebuy, late entry, or I think it's going to be a longer game I reg later, it works out the same and I save time... time is money(y)

Xyro2

Xyro2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I prefer entering tournaments as soon as they start, given that the blinds are still low and I can manage my stack in a less risky way. On the other hand, the only time I actually won a tournament (I'm new to online poker) I had registered 20 minutes after it started, mainly because I was extremely lucky with my hands and won a ton of all-ins. Specially in tournaments in wich the blinds go up pretty quickly, late registration is much more a matter of luck.

T

Tuoppi76

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
FI
Chips
I dont remember whos (he was pro atleast) advice this was, but it makes sense to me: "If you have skill edge to the field, then register from the start and vice versa".. -why would I go deep stack battling postflop with better opponents? obviously not... (actually Iv got so conservative BRM so I usually start early and Im doing good those levels atm, and take some late reg stabs to bigger bins sometimes if field is small)

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think in late registration you lost a lot of time ,could have make some money in that time .and the small and big blind and ante will be big ,so if you want to call it will cost more money .so sure early registration

Dimidrol2

Dimidrol2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
When to start tournaments is a very difficult question. I like to play at the end of late registration with 8-10BB to start the game.
Starting the game early means more opportunities to get and play your best hands, but in one way it gives you opportunities to catch hurtful bad bids, and with additional registration, many do not consider their money to be loose.
Here is an example of an additional registration lasted 200 minutes. The tournament got through a satellite. At the start of the MTT, I went all-in and doubled my bankroll to 320BB, then played no cards almost until the end of the extra registrar. As a result, I got into ITM, but whether it was worth playing all 200 minutes of additional registration is a big question.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think both can work but it depends entirely on what type of player you are and what type of tournament it is. In some cases, it may make sense to go in later, but I politely consider it better to go in early. You have to pay attention to how fast the blinds rise and whether you can see how long it will take until the ITM will be. I can't say that everyone does that, but most people I know who go in later only play on ITM, and that's also quite possible, but if you're playing for a win to win the tournament then it's probably better to get in as early as possible. Although I used to go into tournaments very often later and still managed one or the other Ft. But the fact is that if you go in later that you have a lot more pressure when playing because the blinds are already higher than at the beginning of the game

heguli82

heguli82

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Well, i dont late reg later then 20bb starting stack, but i dont mind to do that. Early reg also (y)

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Some point in the middle. If the late registration period is more than an hour I wait till some point where the starting chips are not less than 30BB.
If the late reg. Period is short I play from the start.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hey!

Been indulging in poker a lot more as of recently, I'm 21 and hopefully a potential threat within the future poker community.
Was wondering what was better in terms of efficiency; joining a tournament towards the end of the registration times (20-30bb ss) or is it better to join tournaments earlier (100+ bb ss).
Been having a lot of success joining tournaments during the later period of the tournament, as players tend to be a little more restless during these times (imo atleast).
But was curious to hear other opinions on what period of registration makes the most sense, as although both have pros and cons, veterans of the poker world should know what is more efficient or could it all be dependent of individual playstyle?

Thanks in advance!
Tyreece
I'm against it when I've been playing from the beginning, and for when I lose my registration. In reality both are normal, but I prefer to start, I do not like late records of 2 hours, I consider it very long.

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I believe that you should only be able to register once in a tournament.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
The late registration it is efficient when the blinds are not big in combination with the starting chips. If the blinds are already high then you cannot have the time to react in the game and it becomes a lottery of all-in! So I think the best time is till the blinds are low, and usually till about the half time of late registration. It also depends from the tournament type and the site.

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
if you look at @jordanbillie results from late registration, you would find that make sense.
Both have pluses and minuses.
Try both and see for yourself, which one is better for you, which one suits you better, and stick to it.
:)

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey!

Been indulging in poker a lot more as of recently, I'm 21 and hopefully a potential threat within the future poker community.
Was wondering what was better in terms of efficiency; joining a tournament towards the end of the registration times (20-30bb ss) or is it better to join tournaments earlier (100+ bb ss).
Been having a lot of success joining tournaments during the later period of the tournament, as players tend to be a little more restless during these times (imo atleast).
But was curious to hear other opinions on what period of registration makes the most sense, as although both have pros and cons, veterans of the poker world should know what is more efficient or could it all be dependent of individual playstyle?

Thanks in advance!
Tyreece
It's your choice.. More variance when you register late and play with 20 - 30 BB stacks..

B

bidearm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i tend to register early to try and build up my pot, sometimes it works and other times not

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I always enter at the beginning of tournaments, but I also enter with tournaments going on, but I always prefer to enter tournaments early

"Not always winning. Not always losing, but... Always playing!"

O

oroochimaru

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depending on the blind levels and how much time remains until registration closes. Although I wouldn't deliberately register late, I never do so if it means having to start with a stack of fewer than 30 BBs, and most likely with a massive stack to your left. While I wouldn't recommend late registration past the blinds at 120/240 if you're playing in a typical Stars event with a 3000 stack. You maybe able to get away with it if you're playing in the micromillions with deeper stacks. Make an effort to maximize any advantages you may have. The more hands you play, the more EV you may grind, and in the beginning, the weakest players are still in the game.

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's better to play from the start, because you have a lot of chips and you can play a lot of hands.

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I have another wonderful example of how irrelevant the first blind levels are. They're just a waste of time basically. 🙊

I registered at the start of an MTT and had beautiful hands in the first two blind rounds. Won a lot of small pots but when the blinds rose, my hands were gone. I got blinded down.

Most of the tourney is decided when blinds are high and a lot of players short. Then it's relevant you know which hands to play and how. ☺️

At least that's my opinion.

I

IanP304

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it depends on the tournament, I don't have time to play long tournaments with long late reg periods. So I tend to late reg any tournament with a 2-3hr+ late reg period at around the 20-30bb mark. Tournaments that have a 1-1.5hr late reg period I will usually play from the start.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Argument for late registration: you enter the game fresh. Argument against late registration: fish are busted at early levels. Argument for late registration - the value of the starting stack in late registration is higher. The later you register in the tournament, the lower your ROI will be, which will be accompanied by a greater level of variance. This means that you will need a tighter approach to bankroll management.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey!

Thanks in advance!
Tyreece

if you look at @jordanbillie results from late registration, you would find that make sense.
Both have pluses and minuses.
Try both and see for yourself, which one is better for you, which one suits you better, and stick to it.
:)

Great topic to bring up and thanks @dino for mentioning me. :)

I have found good success with late regging all of my games, as time is a major factor for me (I have 4 young children at home and have practically no free time). I have found a way to cash in roughly 40% of my games, which is far better than most who start from the beginning. ;)

Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have regarding my style/what I do. ;) :)

andron205

andron205

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
in last-minute satellites with 10 bb

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I believe that you should only be able to register once in a tournament.
Can I assume you never enter rebuy tourneys?

To reply to original posters question: The higher your skill level the earlier you ought to enter.

Pabloro10321

Pabloro10321

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It will also depend on how lucky you are, but if you enter at the beginning of the tournament you will have more hands to see and choose, you will not have the obligation to play with few blinds, while if you enter late in the registry your BB will be counted, in a short period of time you must choose which hand to play and you must be lucky.