Late registration vs Early registration

T

Tyreece24

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey!

Been indulging in poker a lot more as of recently, I'm 21 and hopefully a potential threat within the future poker community.
Was wondering what was better in terms of efficiency; joining a tournament towards the end of the registration times (20-30bb ss) or is it better to join tournaments earlier (100+ bb ss).
Been having a lot of success joining tournaments during the later period of the tournament, as players tend to be a little more restless during these times (imo atleast).
But was curious to hear other opinions on what period of registration makes the most sense, as although both have pros and cons, veterans of the poker world should know what is more efficient or could it all be dependent of individual playstyle?

Thanks in advance!
Tyreece

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Both ways can work, and it is impossible to say which is more efficient. At least, late registration saves some time and the player is not as tired as having to play maybe two hours until the late registration ends. If you are a stack building machine then playing from the start is good thing, but nothing is certain in poker. We have people here on our site who have achieved good results with late registration so that is definitely an option!

Welcome to CardsChat Tyreece (y)

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tournaments are almost always better to start from the beginning. This will give you more opportunities to get and play your best hands. Of course, you can be a few minutes late if the check-in is long enough - an hour or two, this is not critical.
Unless it makes sense to play some freerolls by late registration, if it is very long and you just do not want to sit for a few extra hours. Then just come closer to the end of registration and hope for good luck. This is a good tactic to play more of these tournaments.

P

plusia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I registrate always early
I think this way I control my game better and limit the luck factor

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Hey!

Been indulging in poker a lot more as of recently, I'm 21 and hopefully a potential threat within the future poker community.
Was wondering what was better in terms of efficiency; joining a tournament towards the end of the registration times (20-30bb ss) or is it better to join tournaments earlier (100+ bb ss).
Been having a lot of success joining tournaments during the later period of the tournament, as players tend to be a little more restless during these times (imo atleast).
But was curious to hear other opinions on what period of registration makes the most sense, as although both have pros and cons, veterans of the poker world should know what is more efficient or could it all be dependent of individual playstyle?

Thanks in advance!
Tyreece
I'd also say both ways work .
I prefer early registration in bigger tournaments though. More time to go deep without stress .
In unlimited rebuy/re-entry tourneys I prefer joining right before late registration ends.
Usually saves you money on rebuys.
All the best to you and I wish you good fortune and success in poker for the years to come :)
And be welcomed and have fun in our community!

P

pokerD

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I always register early so I prefer to play.

Mimo..Mach

Mimo..Mach

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Sooner or later every poker player realizes this, that apparently most of the time it is good to enter at the end of the "late registration" but it is just as risky because there are players with high bankrolls and in the first play we can be left out . I would recommend entering at the beginning of the tournament every time. I can only say that in 'kill bounty' tournaments it's good to enter late if the starting chips are enough for several BB.

leoniq888

leoniq888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually, if the late registration in MTT goes for 2 hours, I register after the 1st hour. That seems to me to be the most efficient way to do it. But of course, that's just my opinion.

K

KING1805

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I usually join the game early, but if the late registration is super long, I do not join at the start.

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I prefer to register early, before the start of the tournament. I don't like to play with junk and registering before the start of the tournament allows me to play stronger hands. I believe that registering before the start of the tournament gives more advantages, at least for me.

badbanking79

badbanking79

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DK
Chips
I prefer when around 45 min are left of registration, but like in bigger tournaments, especially knockout I register from the start.

YevheniiKobliuk

YevheniiKobliuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hey!

Thanks in advance!
Tyreece
Hi!

Depends on the specific tournament, we can go into the freezeout at least 10bb, I know players who even won the tournament after that, at the same time it will be an error to enter the knockout in late registration, there is simply no time to unwind, and because of the knockout they will call you more often .

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
here is a controversial issue, my friend, sometimes it's more profitable earlier sometimes later depending on what situation you will play under your opponent's fatigue or you will have fun with amateur players who will come in very early and you will be able to score good chips with him, you just need to think about it

theoxy

theoxy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer register early and only to play.

Falzee

Falzee

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't like late registrations over 15 minutes. I once joined a tournament with 20 players, which is about the number of players I was looking for at that time. An hour later, there were over 90 players. Also don't think it fair to the people that were playing from the beginning.

mikiba11

mikiba11

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I prefer to sign up early so that I have more time to analyze my opponents and the style of play they are demonstrating

Gotmog1

Gotmog1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I am generally against late registration

Gotmog1

Gotmog1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
But the best option would be somewhere in the middle. You do not have to wait long for its completion and the blinds are not big yet.

ipagan

ipagan

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think that in knock-out tours you need to play from the start, in freeze outs you may go for some late registration. But in general, if you have this question, then I thinkg that it would not be a mistake just to play all tournaments from the start. And after a while you will see a window in some cases where it would be reasonable to start later. Anyway I think, that it would be the thing that gives you the money by itself.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Sometimes I late register the normal tournaments but I try to have at least 25-30 bbs. On the other hand I always register early the Bounty Tournaments in order to catch some gamblers and calling stations for the instant reward!

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
as early as possible especially if there a rebuys.....

Berandir

Berandir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I made a similar post some time ago, which said until that time it paid to enter the late record. But in response, I believe that early registering is the best option.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There are pros and cons either way you look at it. I prefer to sign up early. I belive its better for me long tern and I can grow my stack better this way. Also if you play to play live games in the future you really want to be a better player when stacks are deeper.

D

daibert murillo

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
70% of the late registration is good for me, but in the end it always levels out in the long run.