Late Registration in Tournaments

D

Denver225

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I logged in the tournaments always in the initial stage of the tournament.because more opportunities to increase your stack and more time for various maneuvers and suitable situation
the stage middle or late will play if the tournament structure with long time

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMO, it is better to enter deepstack MTTs in the beginning, you can afford to see more flops in the early stages, and if you are a good post-flop player, you can use that to your advantage. Also, if you see a deepstack tournament that is running for some time and is close to the end of late registration, it is fine to enter it. You will probably have somewhere over 20BB stack, which is playable, but doesn't have potential to get too far in the tournament, like final table.

Z

ZARGA123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are in the room since the very begining of the Tourney why do you late reg you are missing a part of the game then if you join at a late stage you will find yourself with few big blinds and short stack so you will take tough decisions you will make it harder to yourself to reach the ITM

SprMnd

SprMnd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually register in tourneys at the beginning when you have a deep stack and can play more hands and bulid a big stack till late registration is open. Then you can put pressure on opponents with small stacks.

H

Hellokeko

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From the get-go is more satisfying, but since blinds and action increase at the usual 5th level of play it isn't a bad idea to start then either but only in deep stack.

X

Xsss

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you guys for sharing your thoughts. I agree that starting from the very beginning is better in terms of collecting information about players and building your stack. But re-buy tournaments are quite tricky and hazardous in the early stage because lots of players who rely on re-buys prefer to go all-in with any Ace or pairs like 44 and even if you hit a good pocket you still can lose due to lack of luck. But I think players shouldn't be worried about bad luck.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I used to be able to deposit and play, about 50% of the time I would buy in at the last second. Here's the way I looked at it. It was better to have 3BB's an hour or two intot he tourny then to be out of the tourny with 0BBs at the same point in time. Not the best advice, but there's a reason I'm not allowed to deposit anymore.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the proper $ to chips vs luck even more so with crazy rebuy plays going on should be....if they have an addon wait till the last minute many sites have the addon being 5x that of the initial buyin .If the addon is equal to the original amount of chips then play the tournament without a addon or rebuy for maximum profit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
in most cases I start playing at the tournament from the very beginning !!! at the beginning of the tournament a lot of weak players, with whom it is not so difficult to play, and you can win chips from them! The further the tournament passes, the stronger the players, the more difficult it is to increase your bank!

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's easier to build your stack from the beginning than to wait late when blinds are bigger.

M

microse

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello guys ! Have a nice day !When do you usually enter a deep stack tournament ? Do you play it from the very beginning or you try to enter it as late as possible or at some specific time within late registration period ? If you're planning to play it with no re-buys (re-buys allowed), how is it gonna change your decision?
Please, share you thoughts.

If blinds start low, it is most beneficial to play more hands at lower blinds as you see more cards for cheaper. In addition, early on, people will be much looser in a rebuy. This means you can adopt a strict TAG philosophy early on and make good chips assuming most people are playing a wider range than expected. Later on, closer to late reg end, people will switch to a more TAG to preserve their stock and you can LAG it up and continuing making chips. No reason to come in late, decreasing your apparent starting stack (with respect to the # of BB with which you start).

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tournaments with a deep stack - nothing more, patience and the ability to timely start to the game. A deep stack allows you to continue to fold bad start cards when you really do not go. Then wait for cards of medium strength and try to squeeze out a maximum of them. There will always be those players who will believe that poker deep stack tournament is no different from the others, but the truth is that a huge difference.

Playing in tournaments deep, try to notice the players who play too fast, so they obviously will stand out from the crowd and is unlikely to play for any strategy.

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've always thought mtts should have a start time and a nominal late registration period. The extended late registration in place for so many mtts now opens it up for people to try to exploit the system. There should never be a situation where a player can late register into the money or even close to it.

A

Allanjyork

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to late register. Seems I do better. I can take advantage of weaker players because I start with more chips then them. But I mostly play free rolls

bkniefel

bkniefel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's a great question and I can see where this can come into a stall for people. It's my belief that the poker rooms allow late registration because it simply makes them more money (buyin fee). With that being said, I have friends that love to play late but then get down on themselves if they lose because of the blinds. I believe that is just a wrong way about going into a MTT. You must be ready for the time and commit every moment of it to try and win or place. Think about it, you want to see as many hands as possible before the final table. Even with the blinds being low, you may be able to pick off a fish or two before the 'late registrations' are even in the game. Just some food for thought.

deyvsonflp

deyvsonflp

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's a good strategy to enter the tournament after a start time, when the blinds are already 50/100. More or less on the 7th level. In this period the action is bigger and you can take advantage that many are already with few chips and will try to double the chips at any price.

D

discintildeath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freeroll warrior

I like to late register. Seems I do better. I can take advantage of weaker players because I start with more chips then them. But I mostly play free rolls

Most freerolls I play in either don't have late reg or it is a very short time period and I find that freerolls you tend to get more chips in the first 10 hands than most other times because the loose players are trying to double up easily. If it is one of the many MDS freerolls I've seen they do have late reg and I do enjoy getting into those late and doubling up a couple times or only having to play 2 or 3 hands before I'm done since it is a waste of time to sit for an hour and only get 20th place...

Grinding out those high person low payout freerolls wears down on my ability to enjoy the game. I am lucky recently I have been cashing in some freerolls lately and I can play some of the 50 cent tourneys on betonline or sports betting that dont have late reg because it gets to be a huge grind to get through those long late reg periods...

ssory83

ssory83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Frankly, always when I play a tournament with late enrollment, I try to get into the game when the blinds are somewhere at 100,200 and the antes also come in. So you can steal some chips. I really like tournaments with late registrations.

L

Leonardo Laquale

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late registration

I do not like to enter with 30 minutes of late registration, I will be at a disadvantage of chips and without information of the table

molodoi3000

molodoi3000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't understand people who are registered in one or two hours after the beginning of a tournament.
First, the average stack has increased at least twice
Secondly, you have missed about 40+- hands. And in the third, you could already lose everything to have a rest/game other tournament))

W

wakkalele

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it depends on how well u play. I know players who are playing better short stacked. But I think its smarter to start with early regging though. Not only do u have more information. U can have more chips by the time u would have late regged. It all depends on how comfortable u are with everything.

C

chicomarvo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
all depends on how the person plays ... in certain tournaments you enter then is who is playing, already be playing more safely since it made chips and you can explore it, or can exploit those who are already low on chips and they are looking to double the chips. I think if you enter at least 50bb is still a good situation

Egorov Alex

Egorov Alex

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is necessary to register after the start of the tournament, the more luck

Masi2197

Masi2197

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is good to start when the bets are in stages of 100 to 200 if they give 3000 starting chips and if they give 1500 better than you enter early so you can collect good chips for when it is already in final stages of registration

rsimms

rsimms

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not one to Late Reg. on purpose, although it is worth looking into if there are any positives of the Late Reg. Personally, I would like to see as many cards as I can when the blinds are cheap and antes are nil. Whether or not you can late reg. into the money is something I have never even considered. I have been looking into the problem of how cheaters can exploit Late Reg. in ACR, but I do not play ACR. I can see how registering a little late can be beneficial to avoid the inevitable first hand all-ins. I only play micro and lows, so I do not know how this applies to higher stake tournaments.

I have been in the situation where I was playing a satellite for a bigger tournament and won. However, it was ~1 hr into the tournament, and the starting stack of 3,000 was only enough to play a hand or 2 compared to the size of everyone else's stack at the table, so the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. Since then, before playing a satellite, I also check to see what the status of the main tournament is.