PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Late registering for a tournament should not be a strategy in my view. However sometimes because of time constraints it is necessary. You just should not make it a habit. I would say 40 BB is a reasonable stack to start with.

BubbleWizard

BubbleWizard

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like late register in tournaments. It's like being late for a party where everyone is already drunk.
It's like being late for dinner and you have to eat the leftovers.

I plan which tournament I join in advance and I'm always on time.

Padlington

Padlington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have always prefered to know how many players I am competing against never been a lover of late registration tournaments but it seems to becoming the norm nowadays

N

nevco

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The idea of late registration is to gather more prize pool but I think some people would use this as a strategy to get closer to the money. I played a lot of freerolls and to be honest late registration do add my chance of finishing ITM since you will most likely to be in the top half by the time you late register for the tourney. But I think this strategy may not work for the bigger tournaments and people tend to play much tighter.

rocknroll0

rocknroll0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
always checked in before the tournament

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not like the later registration and try to get into the game at the beginning. I then have a chance at a little bb wait for good cards. When bb has a high probability of catching a decent card is very low and you have to bluff but it is unnecessary risk.

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Most people expect that the big blind is high level depending on the time of the late and late enter and try luck with an all in but for me it is better to try to enter as soon as possible to be able to study your opponents or I do that and I'm doing quite well in these tournaments

Bogdan Pyts

Bogdan Pyts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is worth being registered in late registration when you are able to play with the short stack and more or less you represent the strategy of a push-fold if isn't present then it is senseless

SaintNick1968

SaintNick1968

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would be willing to late register a tournament with any amount of BB. I try to register them earlier so that I can play more complex pots and have more of a skill edge, but I sometimes register tournies at the very end of late reg. One reason for this is that I am exclusively a tourney player, so I am slightly better with a shorter stack, but this is mostly because a shorter stack is actually more profitable, because you have more of an overlay when you go all in, and more shoves are profitable when you have less BB. I know this may be counter-intuitive, but to take it it's extremes, imagine if you were down to 1 ante in a tourney. If you go all in, other people are likely to raise over the top, and if you win, you 9X up by risking only 1 ante. I think that there is no spot (except maybe in a bounty tourney or some other special format) where you should feel that it is not worth regging.

A

Agent Folder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont like late reg tournaments. You start with 1k players and hope to play 2 hours, and then finish playing 4-5 hours because of the late reg. Off course, if you are so good to get the last table :)

Ricey155

Ricey155

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not a fan, prefer a straight freeze out. They run for ages as it is without another load tagging on 2hrs into it :-(

A

Agent Folder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer not playing a late reg tournaments. You start with one number of players and then play for hours to get the last table. I like tournaments without late reg. If you didnt reg on time, wait the next tournament :D

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If live as early as possible. Online if a free roll at anytime. otherwise if I am paying I want to see a min of 5x the blind.

Clark Kent

Clark Kent

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late reg is good only if I am late for the tournament :D Just kidding... I dont like it.

D

Dingospo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont play tournaments with late reg. I like to play tournaments with small number of players.

A

amadeusace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
About 25bb is a good start. You can wait about 20 hands (2 rounds) until you get a hand to shove. That time you have about 20bb. If you double up you go to a playable M zone. If not.. you increase your stack at least 15%

Just don't forget that you can't play much poker before you double up.. So.. some valuable tips are.. if you shove 3 times and nobody calls you you increase your stack by 50% but blinds have been up so you stay in the same blind numbers. You are just in survive mode until you get lucky or unlucky. I usually dont call all in with less than 5% of top range but I go all in with up to 15% depends my position

A

Agent Folder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my friend, who is actually winning some local tournaments weekly, she usually join late because her strategy is to pick up small stack and stealing pot. Its a risky play but she did it and made quite a lot of money from that.

It is very good strategy. And your friend seems to be very lucky. I dont doubt she is a good poker player. Because of that kind of players I dont play late reg tournaments. :(

ubo

ubo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not like that.
Or when you later check the stack should be well, although b is equal to the average!
But if this is so, then the meaning is not very... since a lot of players will cease immediately and I will wait for the end of registration and then to join!

And so it makes no sense , especially when the late registration is very long more than 2 hours...
You go and we all have stacks of 5-10 times higher than yours ... And the blinds are great... and it just eats you...

M

MrMiyagi420

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that if I'm gonna be late I'd rather not be late for more the 2 or maybe 3 levels cause my chips go down in value cause of the blinds going up and you miss out on chipping up on the early donkey callers but if it a free roll or under 1$ I don't really care and will register up to the last minute

StArDemonn

StArDemonn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it is a deep mtts I like to have 30-40BB, I like to enter late....but if it is a turbo I register early

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its just useful in Freerolls against 1000+ players. But I prefer register in the start of the tournament.

mcgregor_415

mcgregor_415

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's ok if you enter late if the blinds are still low. There is always a chance to miss the monsters, but at the same time there is always a chance that those monster could be beaten.