Knockout Tournaments

bushy_lufc

bushy_lufc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your not putting your stack at risk so 30% or less of it you can make much wider calls early and mid stages to win bounties with hands like 78s for example. Unless its a PSKO though you will want to play a more standard game deeper ITM.

dgospa

dgospa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont like them much, cuz there is too much bingo player they go all in with trash hands to get bounty n i lose against 24,102,72, n i had some strong 3 of kind or top pair A with K kicker, its just anoing!:mad:

Lheticus

Lheticus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play differently in Knockouts, however I do view them favorably because at least in them, when the donks rebuy they're actually contributing something to the non donk players that are beating them.

demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
i have played few times knockouts there are like regular tournaments players dont act different except the fact that you win bounty that makes it interesting

MarceloMC

MarceloMC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that there are not much difference for the regular MTTs but considering that a good portion of the prize comes from the bounties so somes times it is interesting playing a little bit tighter than usual and with Strong hands where you can eliminate the opponents mainly against the short stacks when the blinds are in higher stage...

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try and play exactly the same. It's like an added bonus to pick up a KO as you work to the money, but I think tight play gives you the edge.

arbahool

arbahool

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the funniest is when short stack goes all in and there are 3 or 4 callers every time,just becouse of bounty lol

S

subdylzep

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well thats nice of everyone to say YES, but not tell the dude how lol. Anyways, Of course there is a difference. Best thing to do is actually get yourself in a decent chip lead above everyone else that way you have a chance of knocking others out. You can either get yourself in a flip situation early or play w some sense and slowly work your chips up. In either sense your goal is the same, you want to have way more chips than the other people pushing all in so that you can call their all ins and make yourself a knockout bounty. This may not happen until later in the tourney depending how much the buy in is for, but basically you want to open your range up preflop and try to put them on a standard raisable hand. Ie AK AQ QQ 1010 and so on, if you can catch 2 pair or a striaght or possible flush on the lower stack you want to push the action and try to get them all in with you having at the worst a 33% to hit on them or hold against them. If you can do that without risking more than 1/3 your stack you are looking at about an even trade since one of 3 times you'll get your stack back, but generally you can get yourself in a bit of a better % going into the flop or turn and river. So basically, get your chips up and open your range so that you can get yourself in a position to knock more and more people out without risking your entire stack, try to do this early so that you can obtain more chips for later in the tournament. If you can do so then around the bubble and afterwards you'll be in a great position to knock more and more players out. Good luck in the future.

S

Shiroslullaby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The bounty is definitely going to make a difference.
If you have a decent hand, and might make a huge bounty by knocking someone out,
you definitely have to consider that.
And if you have a big bounty you need to be careful, because you now have a target on your back! :)

Everybodylovesdeuces

Everybodylovesdeuces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It also depends on how much the bounty is. A black chip ($100) bounty makes knockouts much more important than a $10 or $25 bounty.

As several people have pointed out it will change the way many of your opponents play, making them much looser. How you handle that is up to you, but it's important to know it's happening.

If you can make it through the beginning (especially if it's a rebuy) then you should be willing to take some risk to collect bounties. I can remember a specific example of a bounty tournament I played where a short stack went in, I knew he was separate, several people flatted however they still had big stacks. I had A4o and rejammed over the top. Possibly a loose rejam in a regular tournament but I know I could make the bigger stacks fold and take a shot a the bounty. It's also not going to affect my image as badly because people will be more like to attribute my reshove to wanting the bounty than being a crazy LAG.

DanBilzerian

DanBilzerian

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in KO tournaments, You are doomed to lose to a table chip leader, even if you shove AK suited and he calls with J9 off...
Before U shove, make sure U got a pair or see the flop to atleast stack more chips then U can start playing loose too

W

wowasenotrusov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
any difference between the tournaments there . a final prize
Fund Shootout game will be much less . if you play conservatively it is better to play in simple tournaments

HAMC81

HAMC81

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love the progressive KO tourneys... but yeah... seem big stacks win more often than not :(

brno22

brno22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They are good tournaments as everyone tries to eliminate the other and is not so heavy in the sense of slow and becomes more dynamic

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the biggest difference between the MTT and ko , ko in games always find opponents willing to take risks in all-in with any hand

M

mastahbates

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
almost the same playing, but when very small stack player go to allin-I'm often calls, especially in more later position and not so important what hand I have, may be it's wrong)))

This is definitely the right way to play these tourneys.

exactly that,more bingo then poker

I found this also. I binked a micro stake KO on 888 and it was literally poker when it got down to the final 3.

H

Haemophile

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i'll always remember this hand because it's the hand that led to me winning this tourney it was a PSO play money bounty home game but when you play against PSO players its a good tourney no matter if its for real money or not.
nearing the final table i was in the SB and on this hand the BB had just been put all in through lack of chips the CO min raised and i had been dealt 36o but looking at the table i thought it was worth a call because of the BB's bounty I called and the flop came out 457 a perfect flop for me.
Admittedly the person in CO couldn't believe i called with that hand but i explained that the maths in my head said that the call was feasible due to the fact that the BB's bounty was in the hand so yes there are differences between normal and bounty tournaments and the bounties do affect your decisions that you make.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have not had to play on a knock-out tournament, but I think that the tactics of the game is the same as in ordinary tournaments. It makes no sense to push for everything for 25% refund. I watched the play at these tournaments. I noticed that they have more allin.

Lheticus

Lheticus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the biggest difference between the MTT and ko , ko in games always find opponents willing to take risks in all-in with any hand

Sorry, that's a difference? MMT microstakes is that too. Knockout or not.

E

erlanditas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes there is difference, call small stack size players all ins with big bounty, but only from good position and if you have a good stack size like 40bbs or more

VGShaa

VGShaa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you play PSKO or SKO we need to add the value of bounty to compete for a pot size. That bounty at stake does coinflip much more profitable. Consequently, the all-in at an early stage in the pursuit of even a bounty - is the norm. Even one bounty in this situation is more valuable than your entire stack. Therefore, the benefits of the aggressive drawing their hands are clear. But do not go too far: that is no reason to bluff and risking the entire stack, play only good and premium hands in all-ins. After all, you will call more often than usual, which means that you can and win less. PSKO and SKO - it is an extremely aggressive game.

aslanvanacha

aslanvanacha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
knockout

According to me such tournaments are very unpredictable.....you plays with luck....look poker is game 50/50, at that tournaments it is equal to 10/90 so how to play?:(

T

tcdukesdood

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love playing KO, at least if I knock out one or two people, I'm satisfied

Yermek

Yermek

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you play knockout tournaments? Is there difference in your play between knockouts and regular tourneys?

There is a difference. In a knockout tournament I play more aggressively. Often with pocket pairs I go to the all in

D

doctor zver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the difference is that your often all-in call. Therefore I try having a premium hand just to put all the chips in the center of the table. Someone will chase a reward I will double your stack.