Is it possible to win a tournament without luck?

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Greetings!
Do you think it is possible to win a tournament without a bit of luck, using only skill?

I think luck is an essential element in poker)

amonlima

amonlima

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Luck will never be a fundamental element in poker, because if you depend on it you will always lose in the long run. Winning a tournament does not mean being profitable, what really matters is, using the most profitable moves within your knowledge, and always playing where you are better than the other players, with that, in the long run you will always have the financial return, that is, the two most important things are: your technical level over the other players of the limit you play, and the amount of games you play (with quality), because the more you play the greater your roi.

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Greetings!
Do you think it is possible to win a tournament without a bit of luck, using only skill?
No, I believe that's impossible. Otherwise a really skilled player could easily become the richest person in the world.

rvnhss

rvnhss

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Hi there

There is an element of luck involved in poker. Sometimes to stay alive you just have to jam and hope. But a skilled player can read situations and players well enough that they can make great, profitable plays without risking their stack.

The type of tournament is also a huge factor. If the blinds are going up quickly then there's a lot of luck in getting the right cards at the right time. The longer the tournament, the more skill comes into play. There is a reason why the big money tournaments are over a few days and that the best players usually manage to do well in them.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that's right, it's impossible to win a tournament without luck, I say from my own observations it's not chess to win on one skill and double in poker takes a key role and not a few percent

gaarsiass

gaarsiass

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PL
Chips
luck is needed all the more when players with high game skills meet. However, I believe that when someone has a lot of skills, he will go further in the tournament than an amateur counting only on luck.

Highfish

Highfish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
The number of players especially in popular tournaments is usually huge. Luck helps considerably there, of course.
But I think a good player needs a little less of it than a bad one to get far.

hjuosh

hjuosh

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Absolutely not friend. Luck in poker is a mathematical factor. Implicit in the game. And in the study of poker it's known as variance. So if you put your money at stake. What you're really doing is putting your money to variance or properly speaking to luck. As long as you know how to manage that variance (luck) in your favor, you will succeed in this game called poker.

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The variance is so high in those tournaments that I think you need a bit of luck to be the winner.
But of course in the long run a skilled player can offset the variance... in the long run only.

DonSeppi

DonSeppi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
In the end it has everything to do with the variance. If you're just looking at a single tournament then a lot of luck is involved. But the larger the sample of your tournaments, the less luck has in it whether you are a long-term winner or a loser.

hjuosh

hjuosh

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Here's an excellent example from the CC course where you can better understand how variance works.

amatola

amatola

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
And the bigger the mtt, the more luck needed. Every time you enter a pot you are gambling, we to think that it's educated gambling , but its still gambling. Had a villain 3 bet then call my 4th bet. Him 37off vs my kk. Flop 456 :)

D

DrBadBeat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely not, tournaments have huge amounts of variance. Moreso than most variant of cash game poker.

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Greetings!

I think luck is an essential element in poker)
Even the most skilled poker player will not stand a chance against a lucky player any day in a gambling game. Bad beat all day long will be in the menu.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Luck favors the brave, the main thing is to make the right decisions and wait, but without mastery it is difficult to win.

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck is essential in poker. And knowledge about poker helps you, but so does luck.

szabbancsbet

szabbancsbet

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I've never made it to a final table without at least 1-2 players being knocked out by luck

X

Xcalibur

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Success “HERE” — Talent+Luck+Hard Work
At the end of the day, poker is all about the decisions you make. It's up to you to believe in luck or not. If it helps, yes, if not, what's the point? Does talent have a place in poker? Definitely. But in any case, hard work remains the main quality in 2023. And if you combine all 3 qualities, then you are guaranteed success.

BOXING71

BOXING71

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
world-class players say that in the tournament you still need luck. My AA opponent entered with 65s on the final table and the tournament ended. The more participants in the tournament, the more often this will happen.
Well, bad players will bring a lot of surprises. Knowledge is everything. But luck is also needed .

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's hard to measure the weight of luck in poker games.
But there are actually...
...may come to talk about making EV+ plays and over time that will make you profitable, but as we all know, even in spots EV+ plays are no guarantee of victory.
Also as players we should avoid some risky confrontations depending on the stack and stage of the tournament, of course.
There is no magic formula.
But simply ignoring the 'luck' factor, and thinking that poker is a game of skill only, doesn't seem very smart to me... it's like those people who got very, very rich believing that it was only the result of their work. LOL

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
of course, not everyone will depend to some extent on luck in the long run, since the game is very long and may be an equal game and someone will be a little more lucky here at least how much argue, but without luck, nowhere