Is it bad to register early in tournaments with late registration?

L

luk0123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
I think it's better to register early as you can slowly build your stack when the blinds are relatively low.

km1n

km1n

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I prefer to register early that enter with 15 blinds or less

Viparida

Viparida

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don´t get the logic behind your idea. Why would it be worse to register early in a tournament?

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Better than late registration most of the time. If it’s a long tournament than you can tire later in the match however.

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you think you are better than the average player in the field then you should enter at the start of the tourney. If you think you are the fish then enter at the last possible moment (that is if you have a free ticket-in this case if you do not have a free ticket-do not enter at all).

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I want yo register early , especially if it's a bounty tourney . Or even before the game starts . But if it has 4 hours of late registration , then I don't know .

M

moularaki

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
i prefer the early registration because you can follow and the blinds are still not high
you might build your stake earky and play as you wich later in the tournament

R

rufininha14

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I think it's good not to miss the tournament, because sometimes I'm playing other tables and I end up forgetting to register at the right time, so I prefer to register beforehand.

M

moriarty137

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
In tournaments with a small field it is good to enter early, but in tournaments with a large field I like to enter a little late.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The fish are usually the first out of a tourney, you want to play hands with the fish.

When you register late most of the fish have already been caught.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I doubt there is any disadvantage in registering early unless its a Deepstack Tourney and you cannot endure long hours

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is not bad to register so early, one of the advantages is that you get to know your rivals and you can also do many more things for the amount of cards you have.

Dimidrol2

Dimidrol2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It depends on how you're going to play. In general, I like to go in the middle of registration

L

Leroydubz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bounty tourneys im there right at the begining its way more profitable to be there at the start where as regular tourneys when the chips have have value in the later stages make more sense to late reg

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really like this feature on GG poker where you can get bubble protection when you register before the tournament starting time

louuu19

louuu19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sometimes when the tournament is deepstack registering a bit late is a good idea

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really like this feature on GG poker where you can get bubble protection when you register before the tournament starting time
Its just like paying 1 extra place. I like to enter very late , after a good percentage of the field has already busted out . Doing that will let you cash more often, but the downside is you dont go deep as much .

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It is neither bad nor good, each player has a game strategy, there are people who register at the last minute and play to put pressure on each play, there are people who register at the beginning but cannot resist 3-4 hours of registration plus what continue in the tournament because they feel exhausted, others resist well from the beginning, I think it all lies in having a clear strategy of how you are going to play from the moment you register, how strong you feel mentally to face more than 6-7 tournament hours

RonanPERNA

RonanPERNA

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
For me it depends on whether the tournament is fast or slow and how many blinds I enter at the end of late registration. I like to register late for some tournaments.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
For some the early registration is important and for others near the end of the late registration it is more interesting, I study some tables and playersand enter before the end of registration

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think registering early is not a good strategy because game is kinda slow and almost every one plays too tight.
In my opinion late registration carries more risks for the player as late registration requires more aggressive play and if aggressive play is not your style then late registration is not a very good idea.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
when we manage to accumulate chips, no.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think it's a valid strategy to enter with 20-30 minutes left before finishing the late registration, I've already tested and approved, I got much closer to ITM than starting at the beginning of the tournament...
but the objective when playing MTT's isn't to finish just ITM or close to ITM, it's to make a deep run and place in the top few spots as often as possible.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Shuem! There are no fixed rules, but the ICM (Independent Chip Model) says that it is better to late register a tournament because the chances of cashing are bigger. Also, it is a matter of volume: with late register you can play more games: if you are eliminated after 10 min played, you can load another tournament, different from playing for 2 hours, having the same initial stack and end up busting tragically. It is also great for REALLY SLOW tournaments (like the ones in ACR, for example) with a long late reg. period.

So should you start late registering? Not really. When should you early register?
  1. Specially when you have a good skill advantage over the field: weak players tend to bust early in tournaments. If you are there, you can get their chips.
  2. When your deep stack and post-flop skills are good: many players have some idea of how to play short to mid-stacks, specially when they can start shoving. But post-flop play is something most beginners struggle with, and in the early stages you will have more opportunity to use your post-flop skills.
  3. The earlier you enter, the more you can observe your opponents and collect information that can be useful later. This is important in regular slow tournaments where you stay on the same table for a long time.
  4. In KO and PKO tournaments: bounties are a good part of the prizepool, and the earlier you register, the more chances you have to start getting bounties.
Hopefully this can guide your decisions. Do what is best for you, based on your experience. If you are a beginner, maybe it is better to play from the beginning, and see all the stages of a tournament. When you get more experience, you can try some late regs. Good luck!
Completely agree with all of this and just want to add a few more points:

1. Late registration is a way to get a session up and running more quick, and therefore I often start a session by late regging a few regular (non PKO) MTTs. But if also want to play one, which will begin in 20 or 40 minutes, then I will enter ahead and play it from the start.

2. Some MTT players are incredibly bad at really deep stacked play. In MTTs on 888 Poker I have gotten people to stack off for 250BB with an overpair, when I had a set or straight.

3. In PKOs you not only miss out on bounties already collected, when you late register. You also come in as a below average stack, which makes it difficult to contend for the remaining bounties as well.