Is it bad to register early in tournaments with late registration?

olejean

olejean

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If you are sure that after late registration you should build a competitive stack in a short period of time, then you are welcome!

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on the ability to play with a big stack, plus you will collect information about your opponents, but if you just want to get into the prizes, I often see that people register in the late game, then you need to be able to play push-fold

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Much prefer to register on time. With the blinds low, means I can see way more flops, cannot do that a hour into the tournament with a starting stack, you are basically waiting for one hand to shove.

hamon08

hamon08

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion, in hyper-fast tournaments and tournaments with knockout awards, players should register before the start or in the first levels of the game. But in tournaments that have levels that last 15 minutes or more, you can skip the first hour and a half to two hours and reserve so that you have at least 40+ BBs

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
That depends on the tournament structure!

jproy444

jproy444

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
My best results are when I register late. I'm way more agressive and I'm not bored by a long stretch of unplayable hand.

mr.fers_one

mr.fers_one

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
earlier is better, the stacks are large, the cost of error is less, and you can win more. if it's too late to register, then the whole game boils down to luck, and one action is to go all in. and for people who sit at the beginning and develop the stack, it costs nothing but to call your push and pick up a couple more blinds.

M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In knockout tournaments it is better to register from the very beginning, but in other tournaments you can select a registration with a stack with which you are comfortable playing.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the format.In regular tournaments ,I tend to use the late reg while in KO or bounty games I try to register early.

G

greenlarrow

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
No, not bad. Because at the beginning of the tournament you will be able to find weak players and take away chips from them

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
you need to register at the very beginning of the tournament, so professional players do and they know why you need to do it because you can win chips against weak players and get ahead. It's also better to play with an initial stack of 100bb than then go to 50 bb, you will have a better chance of winning

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I think there are some advantages to registering late. Phil Hellmuth is known for showing up hours after the start of a tournament and it seems to work for him. Obviously the tournament structure matters. You have to be pretty deep stacked to blind off chips for a few levels. But I think it has to do with your style of play.
I myself prefer to play from the start or i don't play at all ,Honestly those first few levels will see the worst play of the tournament, very bad players will donk off early, and you miss your opportunity to build a good stack.

pep12343

pep12343

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
There are issues to consider. KO players always score before the start of the tournament, otherwise they will have a big advantage over you.
In other types of tournaments, you must take into account their importance and the number of BBs you start with. I have had to play minor free tournaments that start with more than 300 BB, which makes it very difficult to make a real difference. So it's up to you how many BBs you're comfortable with.

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think registering early is not a good strategy because game is kinda slow and almost every one plays too ti

I think registering early is not a good strategy because game is kinda slow and almost every one plays too tight.
I think registering early is not a good strategy because game is kinda slow and almost every one plays too tight.
I think that depends on your style of play. Of course tighter players have a tendency of taking care of their stakes but not that early in the game. Late registration you will find a lot of loose players trying to take advantage of this. Well good luck to you. I rather star in between I think its the best spot as not to get to bored.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Registration at the right time, that is, early in theory, has its advantages.
You enter in general with the full stack of blinds, that is, you can choose very well your hands to play almost without the possibility of being left out of the tournament early, and also with the possibility of increasing your stack according to the hands you get.
The problem for me with late registration is that in general you have to go all in right away with a decent hand.
In other words, in the first situation you have to explode the bomb.
Personally, I really like to register early.
Greetings:):):)

BOXING71

BOXING71

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
interesting topic. I have read comments from both sides, they all have valid arguments, but everyone is individual and everyone will choose the right solution for themselves. I personally like to get into the game later, but with the exception of the elimination game

Arthurinacio17a

Arthurinacio17a

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't like registering early in tournaments with very long registration

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very late registration is a big risk as you will not have enough chips to have a stack to play with. You can double up a few times early but the chances of this happening are slim.

Michel_11

Michel_11

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Two factors are very important to be analyzed.

The first factor would be your skill, ability to play deep stack, with more than 50 blinds. If you're good, it's worth registering at the start of the tournament.

The second factor would be how much better you are than your opponents. If you are much better, it is much more worth starting a tournament from the beginning to translate that advantage into increased ROI. The later you register for a tournament the higher the variance.

B

bababooey

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I once saw a professional who said that in K.O tournaments it is better to register from the beginning. But in regular tournaments it depends on how much BB you feel comfortable with.

I was watching Spraggy the other day and he said the same thing. Late register normal tournaments but never for the PKO as you lose a ton of value as half the prize pool is in knocking out players.

1mba

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
last time, when I join late, I only managed to bet BB

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t like to register early especially if the late registration is an hour to a few hours long. I do like to go in after a couple hours and then fire another bullet closer to late reg ending

Alexey Shley

Alexey Shley

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I remember asking this question on the forum, and someone wrote that if you register for tournaments late, you have about a 33% chance of winning prizes. But it all depends on the player's individual qualities.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, in this event, as early or late registration in the tournaments, impossible to say exactly: it's Bad or Good?..
By my private opinion: this is as game in Head and Tails... You can to register in any tournament at once and quickly to fly out,
and can to register in the last moment and win any tournament!.. The examples around are many, including and Me!
Because "It's a Poker, baby!"