Is it bad to register early in tournaments with late registration?

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Be careful of registration too late as you may not be able to get a stack built up. If you late register you can blind out in a jiffy.

CataRouillet

CataRouillet

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I once saw a professional who said that in K.O tournaments it is better to register from the beginning. But in regular tournaments it depends on how much BB you feel comfortable with.

S

Shuem

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
IN
Chips
Be careful of registration too late as you may not be able to get a stack built up. If you late register you can blind out in a jiffy.
That's so true, but I have a bad habit of registering really late sometimes even though I know it's kind of risky.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I like late registration in short tournaments, where the game is on a quiet wave and getting into the money is not at all difficult.

rhoudini

rhoudini

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hey Shuem! There are no fixed rules, but the ICM (Independent Chip Model) says that it is better to late register a tournament because the chances of cashing are bigger. Also, it is a matter of volume: with late register you can play more games: if you are eliminated after 10 min played, you can load another tournament, different from playing for 2 hours, having the same initial stack and end up busting tragically. It is also great for REALLY SLOW tournaments (like the ones in ACR, for example) with a long late reg. period.

So should you start late registering? Not really. When should you early register?
  1. Specially when you have a good skill advantage over the field: weak players tend to bust early in tournaments. If you are there, you can get their chips.
  2. When your deep stack and post-flop skills are good: many players have some idea of how to play short to mid-stacks, specially when they can start shoving. But post-flop play is something most beginners struggle with, and in the early stages you will have more opportunity to use your post-flop skills.
  3. The earlier you enter, the more you can observe your opponents and collect information that can be useful later. This is important in regular slow tournaments where you stay on the same table for a long time.
  4. In KO and PKO tournaments: bounties are a good part of the prizepool, and the earlier you register, the more chances you have to start getting bounties.
Hopefully this can guide your decisions. Do what is best for you, based on your experience. If you are a beginner, maybe it is better to play from the beginning, and see all the stages of a tournament. When you get more experience, you can try some late regs. Good luck!

bullkk

bullkk

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In such tournaments, I prefer to register at the end.

Flower2211

Flower2211

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to log in at the end of late registration, although I know that if you want to maximize your potential as a player, you need to log in right away and that's the right thing to do, but I don't adhere to this rule.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always prefer to register for tournaments with late registration at the beginning. This gives me the opportunity to enter the game more with small blinds and not risk a large part of my stack.

F

firerain

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PKO\Bounty MTT should be registered early to build the stack to give you the best chance to win the short stack's bounty. Non-Bounty MTT late registration should depend comfortable with deep or short stack play.

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why not . Play slowly and when late reg is ended you can be in good ranks

sibkaz

sibkaz

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I prefer the early one, you can safely take a closer look, raise the stack, more opportunities...

R.Melnyk77

R.Melnyk77

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think registering early is not a good strategy because game is kinda slow and almost every one plays too tight.
Quite an unusual thought. On the contrary, I believe that early registration is better than late. By registering early, you will have the opportunity to play more hands and your chances of increasing the stack increase. Although this is probably an individual issue that should depend on the player's game strategy. My strategy, with early registration, on the contrary, gives me advantages.

9peso

9peso

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't pay attention to registration time, cause for me it doesn't matter if I come in the beginning I can check my hands more often because of small blinds, however when I come later I can only check by all-in cause BB are as big as my starting stack. In both cases I can be eliminated quickly, because most players play aggressive at start of every freeroll.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
By the first level of the tournament, crazy satellites come into play, ready to give up their stack without a fight.You can derive a general rule for registering in tournaments: if your expectation in a tournament is near zero, it is better to register later. If the advantage over the field is high - as early as possible. This is because the value of the starting stack at the beginning of the tournament and at the end of the late registration are different.

ninocabral

ninocabral

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
games that take a long time to register, I like to enter after about 30 minutes of play

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There is no better or worse in this situation. It will depend on how you play at the beginning of the tournament and after late registration ends. You can sign up at the beginning and increase your chips but at the same time you can also run the risk of being eliminated.

A

ash190

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
MY
Chips
Totally get that. Early birds might face tight tables, but wait too long, and you risk getting blindsided without a decent stack. Timing's everything in that poker grind...

markdias

markdias

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think it's a valid strategy to enter with 20-30 minutes left before finishing the late registration, I've already tested and approved, I got much closer to ITM than starting at the beginning of the tournament...

Baoka

Baoka

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
Early registration gives us a better chip advantage over late subscribers

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
i find the earlier i'm in the more i can build or take advantage of reckless players

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
It's only infuriating when you've been sitting in for an hour, haven't had a winning hand yet (even looking back at the hands), and someone sits in and multiplies his chips in two minutes with two premium pairs in his hand.
That's why I don't usually enter late registration tourneys, or if I do, I only enter in the last minutes.

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Always early. Why would you wanna miss all them easy gained chips from guys just throwing them around trying build huge stacks early with meh hands? Early in MTT's is when you get rid of all the pretenders(I want their chips before someone else gets them). Never understood why guys wanna make it harder on them shelves and depend more on getting luck shoving all-in.

I guess in a way it's easier for players to remember just shoving ranges and re-raising shove ranges over actually knowing how to play a deep stack.

You late register you may only see/play 4-5 hands and maybe only 1 hand if it's a suck-out it's over. Sounds like bingo honestly.

EDIT: I guess it also makes they stats look good. I mean most MTT's online if you late register you usually already finish top half of the field. Basically that's a participation trophy.

Cheers!!!

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are arguments for both sides, so the best is to do the test and see which one best suits your type of game. If, on the one hand, you get less tired by joining later, when the action has already intensified, on the other, there is less margin to "work better" on the plays (BB's), it's relative, the results of your tests on both options will show you the way.