Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't play very many freerolls, and when I do I play them the same way that I would play any other tournament. Well, I've heard quite a bit of talk here about the players who go all in pre-flop all the time in the early rounds. Interesting strategy, and it got me thinking "Is it a good strategy or not?" So I decided to give it a try.

Now I'm positive that going all in pre-flop on every single hand is not likely to work. But how about if I played by going all in pre-flop on the normal hands in my range, except for the ones that I would fold if raised? That is the strategy I decided to try.

I've played the $50 guaranteed freeroll on ACR twice now. It is even more boring than watching paint dry, but I've made it through two games so far. It is probably just variance but my initial results have been exceptionally good. :) I'm going to stay at it and see how it goes for at least 20 attempts, and will update this thread as I go along.

Game 1 - ITM @ 69th of 931
Game 2 - ITM @ 29th of 994
Game 3 - TBA

**edited to add: "pre-flop"

Last edited:
YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Howdy! Interesting results so far. I'm assuming all-in PF? Until which level or until bust out? Idea on the all-in range - higher than TT pockets? suited connectot better than JT?

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Howdy! Interesting results so far. I'm assuming all-in PF? Until which level or until bust out? Idea on the all-in range - higher than TT pockets? suited connectot better than JT?
So far so good. :) Thank you for mentioning pre-flop, I've added that to the original post. All of them were pre-flop. I played until I was eliminated. I just played my normal range, but it would be fun to get more specific as you suggested. :)

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's an interesting strategy. It's based on the principle that if you go all in and lose, you leave quickly and don't waste time in a tournament that generally seems more like an endless shootout. And if you get it right and manage to triple or even quadruple your stack right from the start, you will have a comfortable situation and then start playing a more solid game and grind the table. But it is not viable to go all in with any hand. The ideal is to wait for strong hands up.
And it's not a good thing in freerolls here in our community, where the game is at a higher level. But in the shootouts we have at 888Poker and ACR it's a great option.
I will monitor your progress. Good luck and see you there.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
not sure why the goal wouldn't be to try to play each hand/ optimally under the particular conditions/circumstances. I'd think you'd be losing out on a lot of value by only open-shoving.

Ingryd

Ingryd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I just came out of a tournament where I used this strategy, I came in 7th place. But I was going all in with any card, I'll use your strategy now

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I just came out of a tournament where I used this strategy, I came in 7th place. But I was going all in with any card, I'll use your strategy now
God bless you. That is an impressive finish playing any hand. :)

One day when I was playing the $60 Sunday morning tournaments at Foxwoods a young man sat down at me table. These games would attract between 80-100 players. Not long after the start of the tourney he went all in with something like 85 offsuit. He was quickly eliminated and almost immediately back after re-entering.

Awhile later he did it again with the same kind of hand, and the result was the same as before. He didn't come back to our table but I saw him re-buy at least three more times. I have no idea what he might have been thinking other than he'd only played online freerolls or maybe watched too many poker games on television.

Whatever his reason was, I hope that he took some time over the next few weeks to read a little bit about the game. It actually made me sad to see him basically just throw his money away. :(

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I think looking to get a stack early in freerolls is not a bad strategy since you have nothing to lose... once you get the stack then you have something to work with so the strategy changes👍

Last edited:
dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
In freerolls, you need skill not so much in the game from a mathematical point of view, but much more from a psychological one. Only in freerolls can you conduct all sorts of experiments with winding up your hands and strange sizing for each type of player, if you previously threw even a minraise from the button - the main thing is not to overdo it with bluffs. The lower the bets, the more nutty the players are - not to be confused with preflop all-in crazies. Small bets are not so bad, and this must be taken into account when setting up networks for those who like to bet on hope.And only a freeroll will allow you to sit quietly in the downstreak and lose the money you made out of thin air thanks to your own efforts and skills, and start digging again from scratch if your premium cards streak for several days in a row.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not sure why the goal wouldn't be to try to play each hand/ optimally under the particular conditions/circumstances. I'd think you'd be losing out on a lot of value by only open-shoving.
Theoretically Emily is getting maximum value preflop - assuming Emily's ahead preflop.

Also - if you're ahead - you're getting your opponent to make the maximum error mathematically.

What I wonder is how often Emily is getting a better hand to fold. Sometimes I am sure.

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have had to apply the all-in or fold strategy numerous times over the years when I am busy doing other things. It has worked well a few times and I know I won at least one tourney doing that.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
As others have mentioned it's not as stupid as it first sounds if you do it with good hands, because:

1. People hate to fold pre-flop in freerolls and often call with any Ax for example.

2. You often need a big stack to get a good chance at "significant" money.

3. The game becomes so simple after you have eliminated post-flop so you can sit and watch TV while you play.

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
This sure sounds very perfect strategy for cardchat (platinum) games :unsure:
Yeah you should implement it.
Imagine the shock of people seeing you jamming AIPF with an actual hand 😊

Would be perfect at least for a while !
Nobody would put you on anything 🤣

emgesi

emgesi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
In my opinion, this all-in preflop strategy is massively used in tournaments by almost all players 🙂🙂🙂

I have no better strategy than that in which to learn how my opponent or opponents play all-in preflop is more of a decision when and not a strategy 🙂🙂🙂

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting results with that strategy but I guess it's only for short term

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Yeah you should implement it.
Imagine the shock of people seeing you jamming AIPF with an actual hand 😊
Now i know who's using 'surprised Pikachu face' the next time they're eliminated by me ... :unsure:

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Apparently I can no longer edit the original post so I am reposting with the Game #3 result.

I don't play very many freerolls, and when I do I play them the same way that I would play any other tournament. Well, I've heard quite a bit of talk here about the players who go all in pre-flop all the time in the early rounds. Interesting strategy, and it got me thinking "Is it a good strategy or not?" So I decided to give it a try.

Now I'm positive that going all in pre-flop on every single hand is not likely to work. But how about if I played by going all in pre-flop on the normal hands in my range, except for the ones that I would fold if raised? That is the strategy I decided to try.

I've played the $50 guaranteed freeroll on ACR twice now. It is even more boring than watching paint dry, but I've made it through two games so far. It is probably just variance but my initial results have been exceptionally good. :) I'm going to stay at it and see how it goes for at least 20 attempts, and will update this thread as I go along.

ITM = In The Money, OOM = Out Of the Money

Game 1 - ITM @ 69th of 931
Game 2 - ITM @ 29th of 994
Game 3 - OOM @ 199 of 1271 (one off ITM)
Game 4 - TBA

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Interesting results with that strategy but I guess it's only for short term
You never know, and that is why I am doing the experiment. I doubt that I would ever actually play that way, but I was just curious to see how it will turn out after twenty attempts. :)

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
All in prefloop doesn't seem to work for me , if I start shoving far too many blinds , even with very good hands like KK , a bad beat or bad luck hand is at the corner waiting for me , but anyway maybe it will be lucky for you .

rawbad

rawbad

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
before black friday on a site no longer active i tried what you are saying but went all-in on every hand in freerolls in 1 day and played in 8 games i only got in the money once and it was for like 1 dollar if i remember but as i always say POKER IS 50% LUCK AND 50% SKILL so anything can happen but i can't see going too far with that strategy!

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
before black friday on a site no longer active i tried what you are saying but went all-in on every hand in freerolls in 1 day and played in 8 games i only got in the money once and it was for like 1 dollar if i remember but as i always say POKER IS 50% LUCK AND 50% SKILL so anything can happen but i can't see going too far with that strategy!
It is only going to go the twenty games to see how things end up. I get curious about different things and will often test them. :)

Freeroll Passwords