I'm losing too many chips in the blinds.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Id be interested to see how they came up with that chart... a lot of the charts ive seen are oriented toward beginner level tight poker and assume you dont play well postflop. That chart honestly looks like my btn steal range.

I wish i would have saved my work when i did the math last time. Ill go back and examine the EV of stealing SB vs BB with 72o against a standard BB defend range and 3bet range and also vs a BB defend range and 3bet adjusted for a 100% steal from SB. I think when i did the math I also factored in for frequency of flops we can cbet bluff and fold equity otf + frequency of favorable flops. If I can show that stealing with 72o is profitable then any other 2 should be profitable as well.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you first need to see who and how to play, not flattery at once, imposing your bets

A

AlexTheOwl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I can show that stealing with 72o is profitable then any other 2 should be profitable as well.

Almost. 72o is not the weakest starting hand heads-up. Compare 72o and 32o separately against any 2 random cards in an equity calculator.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If there is a problem, it's that he is defending the blinds by calling. His fold BB to steal is on the low side:
Completely agree on this one. I might add that calling from the BB is, in my opinion, worth it only in SB vs BB situations.
Personally, I like to try and re-raise on the BB with some AT+, also some Axs, some Kxs or suited connectors 78+. However, I don't re-raise with low pocket pairs unless I have solid implied odds. What I am doing is not a rule, just some line I like to try from time to time, but as people are stating, do not bother defending too much, or raising from the SB if you are not familiar with playing out of position.

One more thing I forgot to mention is just calling from the SB being probably the worst option since calling gives even better pot odds for the player in the BB making it more likely you will have to play against at least 2 opponents out of position.

P.S. was that a word of appreciation as oppose to not giving me a break last time ? :)
Thanks for the clarifications Bozovicdj.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Almost. 72o is not the weakest starting hand heads-up. Compare 72o and 32o separately against any 2 random cards in an equity calculator.

Equity calculators are very good way to calculate EV but they arent perfect. They dont account for postflop playability. With 32o you can play postflop much better than 72o. Also im pretty sure vs ATC 32o and 72o are only seperated by a few percentage points

A

AlexTheOwl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Equity calculators are very good way to calculate EV but they arent perfect. They dont account for postflop playability. With 32o you can play postflop much better than 72o. Also im pretty sure vs ATC 32o and 72o are only seperated by a few percentage points

True on both counts. As long as the steal is not all-in I'd rather have 32o.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the input, gives me alot to think about.
My fear of defending when facing a steal is a problem for me, especially early in a tournament when I have no reads on opponents.

A

AlexTheOwl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the input, gives me alot to think about.
My fear of defending when facing a steal is a problem for me, especially early in a tournament when I have no reads on opponents.

I think what Bozovicdj and I are saying is that you are defending plenty, maybe even too much. Consider folding more. When you do choose to defend, call less and raise more.

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold the blinds if you have a weak hand, you are in early position which is a weak position. If you have a min call in the SB then call, in the BB if no one raises you get to see the flop for free. As your hands get stronger there, you will lose less chips

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play tight in the blinds, and mix in 3 betting the raises from the cutoff and button. Those 3bets are usually respected.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're trying to defend too often. Tighten up and throw it away. Garbage is still garbage no matter the pot odds. You defend your blind and you hit a piece, right? You think you're good but get burnt on the end. Happens a lot.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know players who always defend their big blinds as a matter of policy.
No matter what cards they hold.

Me I see my blinds as a tax that everybody pays.

Or better yet.....my blinds are chum in the water for the table to come after!

S

stamark

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As for sb you can play only top cards because you are out of position and most of times 3bet them especially when everyone folds and cutoff or btn bets. On bb don't defend every card you have. Defend cards that propably will give you straight or flush draws

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should play your blinds when you have a good hand. Other than that you might get taken for a lot more than just a blind. Plus as soon as the blinds pass you, you're gonna have the best position to get them back when you get the button.

DuffMcGruff

DuffMcGruff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off, you will lose money in the blinds overall. That is unavoidable. Your goal is to minimize your losses. Even the top pros will still lose money in the blinds.
Your strategy for the sb should be 3-bet or fold. Flatting raises from the SB gives the BB way to good of a price to call.
As for the BB, your are mostly going to call. You can defend your BB very wide. You already have a full blind in the pot and that gives you a much better price to call. You will have to tighten up more as the bets get bigger, but you’ll be surprised how wide you can defend. K6 off vs a 2.5x raise? Defend! 57s? Defend!
Now you still want to have a 3Bet range in the BB, just pick your best hands and some good bluffs.

(EDIT) the position of the raiser also will determine how wide you call. Your going to defend vs a button raise a lot wider than UTG.

Betmakers

Betmakers

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the reason is in protecting the blinds. When people in front of you make small raises, you think that you can cheaply go to the bank, but in fact you do not get anywhere.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should study more your defense range of SB and BB, there are many free articles, and videos on youtube.

A

AAbyss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in my opinion you just thought it does not matter

B

Barbarik

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, yes ... My most important problem. Since I play cautious poker, I always have a lot of chips left on the blade, so sorry.

M

MarineCJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats a rough question to answer. If you keep getting 72o or a non playable hand to a raise, really nothing you can do.

If not the case look at charts

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
What reasons could be costing me in the blinds?
Passive playing out of position against stronger range with way too wide range. Tighten up with calls and learn how to attack the stealers.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe this will help...& then, it may not

Good question about your losses in the blinds. I am assuming you mean preflop blind play against a raise. Three things have helped me. First, what kind of cards would I raise with in the position the raiser is in? Second, I log as much that I can about the players online in their notes. It helps me know what cards they play...sometimes. Third, Where does my card value lie? Is it a top 10, top qtr, top half? What are my chances.On top of that, I watch for folks who are in CO, BTN, and SB positions who consistently try to steal. Their position becomes like a Jacal. Those players will almost play anything and when I am in the blinds and run into that person, I find patience with a top 10-25% hand combined will fix the problem...not always, but should limit your losses.

The old Full Tilt Pros wrote a book called "Full Tilt poker strategy Guide". It was edited by Michael Craig. Twelve pros wrote a chapter or so in this book about strategies. Andy Bloch wrote a chapter on before the flop and Chris Ferguson on after the flop. The strategies include blind play specifics. Page 90 on may help. The book was published by Warner books and copyrighted June, 2007.It also has some articles on Pot-Limit, Limit, Omaha and Stud Poker. 208 pages are devoted to No-Limit. It's a green paperback book, and has a total of 438 pages.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your game!

Dan'O

Z

Zikasamaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have noticed that I have been losing too many chips when in the SB and BB.
I'm winning chips in all other positions.
What reasons could be costing me in the blinds?

If you defending a lot off blinds than you tight and reduce your calling range and if you are a tight on blinds then you loossa little you range from blinds.....

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the blinds, everyone loses at a distance. Our task is to minimize losses. Now there was a tendency to actively defend the big blind against late positions. We need to determine the range of the Call and the range of 3-Beting from the blinds, but much depends on the opponent who attacks our blinds

Poker Chips - History of Chips