If you won the WSOP Main Event, would you quit poker or raise the stakes?

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a great question, but I wouldn't do either option. I would still just play poker for fun, and probably wouldn't enter a tournament over $200. This would be the dream spot though.

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would buy a beautiful house because where I live I cannot say that it is a house.

I would continue to play but would leave only $ 100 in the account and I would not do like other players who go to bigger tournaments because I have read about many people who lost everything they had.:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Bugi

Bugi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I helped found a dog rescue operation some years ago. The first thing I would do is legally set up a proper charitable foundation and put most of the money in it. I would spend more time at the shelter where we have 200+ rescue dogs.

I would continue to play poker but my first priority would be the dogs.

I would next alert the media that hell had frozen over.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't quit. I would want to try to win another wsop title.

Johnny78B

Johnny78B

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Quit? No way, for sure I will start to play on high levels but according to BR management of course! If you won the Main Event it means you feeling pretty good in online poker so better to continue to run the show!

G

gonzalo1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the million dollar question hahaha I would leave a small part of the prize for future tournaments but not very expensive, and the rest for family and personal enjoyment

pribalt49

pribalt49

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I won it, I would continue to play poker in major tournaments and would try to play in a live tournament if I got there, but it takes a lot of luck and patience to achieve this, which is not given to many

Y

yabu77

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If i won wsop, I wouldn't quit my favorite game in the world.

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Based on a very interesting thread I decided to create this one. The original is 'If you won the lottery, would you quit your job??? Why or why not?'. Thanks to @RiverLord90 who made it.

My ideia with this thread is to understand the motivation of you guys when it comes to play the poker game. Is about passion? Is about fun? About some bucks?

So, If you beat the large Main Event field in the World Series of Poker and put 10 millions in your pocket (no stacking, no backing, just you receiving this incredible prize 100% yours)...

...Would you stop playing poker or raise the stakes?

In my case I have no doubt: raise the stakes every time. ;)

I would not raise the limit in any way. I play in my favorite tournaments if I feel like it ... and miss the time spent on the satellites. :)

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
???...of course you don't quit playing, you have to raise the stakes. If you won the WSOP there would be a bullseye on your head because everyone would be gunning for you. Everyone wants to take down the champ, you gotta raise the stakes!

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would quit my job if I won the WSOP main event. I would play the same stakes I play now I would just play more.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Quitting poker never made much sense to me? It's a source of income but it just needs to be better managed. I'd raise the Stakes! but BRM BRM BRM BRM BRM ...

K

Kenorgcom

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I won the WSOP main event I would raise the stakes because that’s what the winners do, so I would continue to play knowing that I did the ultimate.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would take at least half the winnings out of poker if not more. Save some, invest some, pay off my house, buy nice cars for wife and I, donate a bunch to charity. I'd keep enough in to comfortably play more tournies and less cash, maybe go on those poker tours.

I imagine though if you win the WSOP Main Event you're going to have a ticket to a real shot of being a pro. After all , you'd become a household name, you'd suddenly get sponsor offers, you'd have a chance to sign with a poker room or site who would likely pay you, send you on appearances, and pay for buy ins to big tournies.

But def take a huge chunk of winnings out. Worse thing one could do would be keep it all in poker....lots of luck. Just because you win the ME doesn't mean you're a good player enough to beat the biggest games.

Ironically you'd actually , if you wanted, be able to play much less poker than before. You'd be set. And the general public and many would consider you a pro simply from the ME win, sponsorships, and interviews.

D

ddsnoops

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would quit while I was ahead, Most of the WSOP winners end up losing most of their winning trying to win big again.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Keep playing of course just with a different set of people from time to time maybe. I prob would still play the same but keep grinding because practice makes perfect. Good luck and hope you crush it.

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
raise the stakes, let's go I want to win haha

G

Gusborgs22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would stay with the same stakes and use the money as i need to, pay for my college, and other things

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I wouldn't need to give up my day job, I did that 7 years ago, But if I was lucky enough to win big at Poker I would definitely raise my stakes, and start playing $10 buy-ins rather than the $3, I play now, :)
Poker for me is a hobby, and sure we all dream of hitting the big one, but I am not stupid and one big score would not make me a Poker Superstar, I would play like I normally do, but re-invest my winnings into something more Tangible like Rental properties or bullion, (Gold and Silver).
If I was to play big money games everyday, I would soon become broke.

When the fun Stops, STOP!:):)

hubcio96

hubcio96

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
raise the stakes for one year and see how it goes.

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would probably raise the stakes. I enjoy poker too much to quit it.

inox73

inox73

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont know exactly but i would be maybe raise the stakes cause i would have a huge amount of money now in the backdoor
:D

WSOP