Can i get in trouble for this

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're never "required" to play a hand, regardless of what odds, ev, etc, etc dictate. Fold all you want, for whatever reason you want, imo. Just don't announce your reasons to the table.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have to read all the comments, but I dont think anyone thnks you were cheating, but it could look that way to the site

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Well then you soft played him, which is a form of collusion , which is against a sites TOS.

Also originally you said it was because you didn't want to throw away 470 chips, now it's because of your relationship with a player (you didn't like one of them). The reason has completely changed since it has been pointed out folding to conserve chips makes absolutely no sense. Why wouldn't you say what you are now claiming to be the biggest motivating factor, that you folded because you were favouring a particular player? I think most people will know full well why you didn't give the true reason.

I honestly wouldn't think you were undeserving of a ban for this simply because you lied about your motivation for folding at first (which you wouldn't do if you thought your reason for folding was acceptable) which suggests to me you were trying to cover something up.

And to Blue...yeah ok, you have a point, perhaps you should consider that I was nervous about saying the real reason, and wanted opinions on whether id get a ban..

Yes, I folded because i wanted the other shortstack to get knocked out, instead of this particular one... & even verbalized it on table

I didnt collude or cheat, but I do accept that it was naive and silly.
I'd be disappointed if the site didn't give you a warning for this (if other player did in fact report it)... mainly because of the 'verbalizing' what your intentions were at the time.

There's a reason why some sites don't offer DoNs (ie. pokerstars no longer offering DoNs).... they are cesspools for collusion.

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're entitled to do whatever you like as long as your not actually colluding or breaching TOS. Some angle shoots are bad etiquette but accepted in the rules.

With the huge chipstack you had you could enjoy bullying the table anyway you liked. And chat and tell them how you were enjoying your moment of power over the minions.

If you like treading on ants or pulling the legs of spiders, or being a politician or lawyer, then there is nothing wrong with it.

You could shove everyhand or fold every hand or min raise, but sometimes messing about instead of focusing on the end result can end up badly with unexpected outcomes if someone manages to double thru you and become a real threat to your dominance.

If you had a good lawyer its easy to prove you did nothing wrong apart from enjoy your moment. But support is staffed by minions with keystroke powers and little time so anything could happen. You'll have to let us know if there is any further action.

S

stg1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dunno if these guys normally act quickly, its been 24 hrs and ive heard nothing....but i dunno if that means anything.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once here at this forum I was playing a team game. Had auto fold on. Got quads. Really didn't think I would get a river call and I wanted to show my quads to the (friendly) table, so I checked the river. Wasn't so friendly after that. Suddenly I was some sort of cheater. They couldn't figure out JUST what kind of cheater I was, but that didn't stop the beat down.

Moral: Sometimes stupid is just stupid.

-

Don't bring this up again dude, you just dig yourself a deeper hole. Obviously, if you wanted to show the hand, you just turn auto muck off.

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't bring this up again dude, you just dig yourself a deeper hole. Obviously, if you wanted to show the hand, you just turn auto muck off.

First. There's no digging. And I'm in no hole. You being one of the gang, it would offend you.

Second... show me how to turn auto fold off in two seconds.

The bit was pertinent to the OP. Sorry (not) if it reminded you of something you'd rather forget.

-

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First, I'm not offended.
Second, Ctrl + U.

cardriverx

cardriverx

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's soft-playing so it is 'cheating,' is it not? You can't make a play on whether you like someone or not, correct?

S

stg1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I once hacked someone down in the penalty box too.. (oh hang on, you probably dont know much about football, let me find another analogy)

Oh yeah, you obviously like baseball... "Intentional Walk" ? Your National sport has people that cheat every game then, soft play.

Big difference between cheating and unsporting...

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, it's cheating. And who the fk cares if one guy was a donk or sucked out on the other guy. At the end of the day they're both just names on a screen who mean nothing to you.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have to read all the comments, but I dont think anyone thnks you were cheating, but it could look that way to the site

Just took another look at the OP. It is intentional soft play, so, yea, it is cheating. You prolly didnt mean to but you did.... Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Lesson????? keep chat off or dont do anything but complement other players when they play bad. "NH" "WP" when they draw and hit with no odds to do so, along those lines.

You want socially friendly chat, go to a bar.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I once hacked someone down in the penalty box too.. (oh hang on, you probably dont know much about football, let me find another analogy)

Oh yeah, you obviously like baseball... "Intentional Walk" ? Your National sport has people that cheat every game then, soft play.

Big difference between cheating and unsporting...

Ok, not that I'm a huge fan of baseball, but unless you're talking about steroids here, you've got this bit all wrong. An intentional walk is anything but a "soft-play". Just the opposite, really. It's generally used when a team has one powerful hitter in the lineup, but they have failed to protect him properly by putting other competant hitters around him, or one of those other hitters is in a slump, etc.

In that case the opposing team sometimes will have no real reason to pitch to the guy in the lineup most likely to hurt you. Pitch to the easier outs, instead. Liken it to tournament poker..... Sometimes there's just no real reson to get involved in a hand you'd normally play if your opponent is the big stack at the table, wait for an easier spot against relatively weaker stacks.

Ok, just my baseball .02..... How that relates to anything in this thread, I have no idea.......

ckingriches

ckingriches

Lucky Multiple League MVP
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the guy in the BB was a cool dude and the other short stack was a jerk, then do what you want and keep the nice guy around. Sure, it's soft playing and, strictly speaking, against the rules. So what.

Just don't do it in a way that will get you in trouble. Certainly don't tell the table what you're doing. Just let it time out, and no one will know the difference. Maybe you did it on purpose, maybe you were taking a leak. Maybe your internet spazzed. The short-stacked jerk will be pissed off - maybe someone else will clue him in as to how karma works.

kmixer

kmixer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dumbest fold ive ever seen, i cant actually think of any reason to do this lol

Unless the BB has massive tits and says she'll rub her $$ on them if you let her stay in, in which case your colluding!

:D

Just took another look at the OP. It is intentional soft play, so, yea, it is cheating. You prolly didnt mean to but you did.... Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Lesson????? keep chat off or dont do anything but complement other players when they play bad. "NH" "WP" when they draw and hit with no odds to do so, along those lines.

You want socially friendly chat, go to a bar.

For sure.

I do like the intentional walk comparison from OP though. It makes most sense. I play the DoNs a lot and get accused of all kinds of stuff. Folding in lots of cases make more sense than in regular SnGs. I have to agree that what makes the msot sense is don't talk about it.

Last edited:
regd87

regd87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You might get a warning. You might get nothing... I wouldn't worry about being banned or anything, it was disrespectful to say but it's nothing major(especially if your account has a clean record.)

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Taking the high road is about doing the right thing. It's not about considering the likelihood of being punished, what such punishment might be, or that other people choose to adhere to a lower standard.

There's no question that the only high road action was to call.

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah it could be seen as collusion, although obviously not direct collusion or planned collusion or something like that.
i can agree with the comment directly above me, maybe not illegal, but definitely not sportsmanlike

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yep... Think SKYPE groups and their... Ummmmm... sweat sessions. :tee:

You can tell. I've seen it very close to home. ;) Coaching is rampant on SKYPE. RAMPANT.

This guy made a (not the right) decision. Stupid or not, it isn't/can't be collusion.

Once here at this forum I was playing a team game. Had auto fold on. Got quads. Really didn't think I would get a river call and I wanted to show my quads to the (friendly) table, so I checked the river. Wasn't so friendly after that. Suddenly I was some sort of cheater. They couldn't figure out JUST what kind of cheater I was, but that didn't stop the beat down.

Moral: Sometimes stupid is just stupid.

You can't collude with yourself. Wanna really put a dent in collusion? Ban SKYPE. There's your collusion pipe.

-

dont know about you but i dont know a single person on skye who has ever given me advice during a hand, discussing hands and ranges after the fact with others is a great way to learn and improve and adds a social aspect to the grind.

regarding the JJ you are either softplaying someone or played the hand terribly

Its also somewhat naive to think that banning skype would solve anything, scum is going to scum, its just not worth worrying about.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont know about you but i dont know a single person on skye who has ever given me advice during a hand, discussing hands and ranges after the fact with others is a great way to learn and improve and adds a social aspect to the grind.

I'll admit that I don't know you, don't know your ethics, etc, etc, but I am skeptical of this. Don't really care to get into a pissing war with you, but if you've never been given advice IRT while a hand is being played, then why is it so important to use skype in the first place? Couldn't you simply record a video of your session and have it critiqued after the fact.

Ok, even if I grant that in your particular case you simply use it to chat and what-not, you can certainly see how the possibility (and for many people the reality) of very, very easy cheating exists when 2 people have the ability to collaborate IRT to play a hand.

If you won't concede this, simply watch even the first 2 minutes of the session JSG just posted. Less than a minute or two in and I've already seen several spots where DW is coaching Jurn on how to play a hand, bet sizing, cb, etc etc, AS THE HAND IS BEING PLAYED. That, my friend, is cheating. And I fully believe that that is precisely what happens a great majority of the time on these skype "sweat sessions".

Now, I'll certainly grant that there are probably SOME people who won't do that. But, I think they are the vast, vast minority of people using Skype. It's simply too easy to cheat that way, there is little/no chance being caught let alone disciplined, and, tbh, too little case of ethics among the vast majority of players.

So, to sum all this up.... I'm just saying that if you don't believe that skype is primarily used for cheating purposes, then I think you are being more than a little naieve. It happens. It happens A LOT.