Hyper Turbo Tournament very hard?

S

samir77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys! I am new to poker and I joined some free roll tournaments. Most of them were hyper-turbo and rebuys were allowed.
I have to rely only on 1000 tournament chips that I get from the free roll without any rebuys.
Other players rebuy and increase their stack to 6000 chips right from the beginning.
With blinds and antes increasing rapidly and all players going all-ins almost every hand, I found it extremely hard to make it even to top 100s.
What strategies should I use to make it to final table?

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
In hyper turbo freerolls with just a small stack, that's what you're going to face all the time. Nothing to lose with no buy-in and people needing to double-up quick because of the blinds and format. No true way to be constantly successful in hyper turbo tournaments, just need a lot of luck on your side to make a final table.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to define a strategy, a game plan for your own style of play. It is impossible to ask the ideal strategy of the game. Each player conducts the tournament completely differently and too many situations occur, when you are at the table. You need to improve your playing experience, when you see a lot of hands and a lot of different situations at the table, you begin to understand how to act. Free tournaments with a very small initial pot and repeated entries are absolutely wrong tournaments for a beginner.. + I do not recommend playing knockout tournaments....

There are several basic and initial recommendations for playing poker. I advise you to proceed from them and continue to build plan for yourself, through mistakes and studying the game by the example of other players. After that, you will be able to build the necessary line for yourself and have a plan of action at the table.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hypers in general are extremely high variance simply because you will be on stack sizes where there will be alot of all in situations - so there won't be many hands where we can outplay villans pre and post flop as in a normal tournament.

Freerolls in general are also high variance due to the wild player pools and random all ins pre as well. So when we put these two elements together, just realize you will not be winning a hyper freeroll very often at all, even with a significant edge in the player pool just due to the variance involved.

Personally, I don't recommend playing hypers with the intent to generate long term wins and revenue, the variance is just overwhelming for most players (me included). Play them for fun and time management - your money is better spent playing normal MTTs and regular turbos.

willjosp

willjosp

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the hyper tournaments or turbos are very hard since the blinds increase very quickly and give you few chips, some hyper only give you 300 in chips and they go very fast:(

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The good ones are hyperturbo microbuyins. I often play these tornaments.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey guys! I am new to poker and I joined some free roll tournaments. Most of them were hyper-turbo and rebuys were allowed.
I have to rely only on 1000 tournament chips that I get from the free roll without any rebuys.
Other players rebuy and increase their stack to 6000 chips right from the beginning.
With blinds and antes increasing rapidly and all players going all-ins almost every hand, I found it extremely hard to make it even to top 100s.

The games you are talking about have no strategies at all. Those who can afford many buy-ins will reach almost every time the pay-outs because of the format and the huge variance.
I think you can just make an early big stack to be able to play a game afterwards, or push & fold strategy till you can't breathe. Take it as fun them, cause they are nothing more. :eek:

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Our good question Hyper Turbo tournaments are difficult as we don't have much time to choose the hole cards so there is more luck than skill involved in my opinion although there are people who will disagree.:):D

magister1

magister1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot more luck and a lot more variance in these.

If you're not adding on chips you're just going to have to hope to beat the odds.

Still can be very fun though, and still good for learning how to play small stacks and when to push/fold.

V

vladikov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

in hyper-turbo without using rebuy relies on luck. Each pair from 6 upwards is all in + each hand with A

ZPfBTNanAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hello. hyper turbos are a bit hard , you need a little luck and you will have to be very aggressive . i mean when you have a high cards you will have to go all in .don't have time to play slowly

daddybrooks

daddybrooks

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freeroll hypers have no risk (as long as you don't rebuy of course!) so the best you can really expect is to get your initial chips in as good as you can. If it gets to you in late position and you have a good hand, give it a go, just don't get all upset if some donkey snap calls you from the blinds/button with 8,4o and flops a straight and beats your A,K etc. Honestly, even in hypers, you want those donkeys to call with those shit hands. You'll win more of them than lose. It really does blow when you don't however. As long as I have chips, I prefer to shove with pockets at least in a hyper instead of gambling on spiking a flop etc.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Strategy in tournaments of this format does not matter. Your experience and skill also don't matter. These tournaments are a lottery where everything is decided by your luck.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Strategy in tournaments of this format does not matter. Your experience and skill also don't matter. These tournaments are a lottery where everything is decided by your luck.

I completely disagree with this statement on all levels. Playing good solid poker and knowing how to play all ins correctly will do much more for you than luck ever will. These tournaments are still extremely high variance, and you won't win them very often, but just relying on luck is asking to be a loser more often. Tools like icmizer are invaluable for a format like this - knowing when to call, push over the top, etc will net you a ton of EV while others relying on being lucky.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is not too much strategy here 99% luck. Go with hands with at least connectors with face cards or mid range cards.

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no strategy because you only have a few chips. Often your chip stack is not even enough for 10 big blinds. There is practically no post-flop game. If you have an ace then try your luck and move all-in. You need a lot of luck to win such a tournament. Because after you've survived your first all-in, you often have to go all-in again quickly because the blinds increase quickly. Play these tournaments for fun but there is no real strategy

blackknives

blackknives

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Stacks are too low, times are too fast, you have to adjust your strategy and put a lot of the result on showdowns and more luck. Just treat it as is and don't let your habits in these carry over to the regular games, and vice versa

VikyGia

VikyGia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi

Hello here I look ahead to be at my new friends to make gooder poker and english. I see goodest bestest poker players to learn from hell all have good fun and luck

C

Comboss599

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally i don't like hyperturbo play. To stay in a game You must go all in oftener then ussually which more depends on luck then skills. I prefer slow playing.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't take the hyper-turbo tournament too seriously. Doing a rebuy there is like throwing money away. I wouldn't play these tournaments if I was just starting to play poker. Because hyper-turbo is for lucky people who must constantly win all-in. Pay your attention to other freerolls.

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd recommend you describe the tournament not in starting chips, but in starting number of big blinds. So if the blinds start at 10/20 and you have 1000 chips you have a 50BB stack. If the blinds are 20/40 you have a 25BB stack, and if 25/50, a 20BB stack.

Proper play is determined by your (and opponents) stack size in BB and the amount of blinds and antes (the more the antes the looser your jamming range).

Hyper turbo's are all about ICM (Independent chip model - a method of determining optimal shoving and calling ranges based on the equity of your stack), and adjusting your ICM calling/jamming ranges based on reads on opponent's tightness and looseness both in their jams (most opponents jam too tight) and in their calls (most opponents call too wide).

When you are far from the money ICM is fairly close to nash equilibrium jamming and calling - so you can just train with SnapShove and use those ranges till you get near the bubble (about 2x as many people remain as places that pay). You should also do ICM training - you can get a subscription to ICMizer - they have a short trial (1 week?). There are other ICM trainers but ICMizer is the best known. There is a free older ICM trainer on PokerStrategy but it requires older libraries and so doesn't work on most current computers. There is also Sit N Go Wizard (cheap but not free) - not sure how good it is but it has a 30 day free trial.

Last edited:
nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Pushing (going all-in) from the small blind for almost 100% of hands with a stack of 10 BB or less. 2. Call from the big blind when the small blind shoves from 30% to 40% of hands. Remember that suited hands have an advantage. If calling with K2s (suited K2) in most cases against regulars is positive (in our conditions), then with K2o (offsuit) it is already slightly negative. Although if you look at player # 1 at the moment at the $ 2-5 limit, he will call more narrowly. There are not many kings in his stake range. 3. Call third (when someone has already called) is tighter. This is almost always a fold with hands 22-66, A2-A7o, any kings.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I have played some hyper-turbo, many times it is difficult for me to face that type of tournaments, but I think that many times it depends on how late you register, so it is more difficult to play, I have managed to go far in freerolls, but they have been very few times and I think luck was a lot on my side

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not consider that it is necessary to make an entry rebuy, however this type of tournaments requires a lot of luck, so if you want to win these tournaments you have to consider taking risks by shoving all in with strong preflop hands like ak aq, jj,qq, etc. when you build a big enough stack you can play more tight however in these tournament since blinds increase so fast, knowing when to steal blinds and when to shove all in is extremely important.