How would you play KQo UTG at final table ?

fernandovr

fernandovr

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, with 2.7bb there is not much to do is all in.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course I will play, but there are such players who will fold:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi, i think you should be call and see flop and evaluate the strong of your hand in this level and with information from your opponent, you can win good chips.

S

sumdumguy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How would you play this hand?
First-hand at the final table, you're UTG with a 2.7 BB stack and you get kQo. What would you do?
Give me more information: size of the blinds, SB stack and BB... so I can answer you more reasonably

PupsikCat

PupsikCat

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MD
Chips
in this case I think the shoving range is any pocket pair, suited connector, Ax, Kx...

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Assuming you are the shortest stack at the table, you have to just shove and hope here. KQo is in the top 8% of hands, so you're unlikely to get a better hand in the few hands and the blinds are about to eat you up. Get it in a pray.

Jason Bralli

Jason Bralli

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
if you don't go all in with that hand, the deck will punish you and you get a 72o in the BB.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I might open sometime. It's a raise fold hand from UTG.

ENRIQUE23977

ENRIQUE23977

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
With a 2.7BB stack and hitting the blind next hand, I do a fist pump and jam it in like i have pocket aces.
My God... That is not necessary to think about it. You don't even have 3 blinds. On the next big and small blind plus the antes, they eat up the rest of the stack. This is all inside, they are good KQ cards, these are high cards and you can hit top pair or two pair or a straight, it is even likely that you will hit a 4-card flush in ShowDown. Also with partner LuvePoker pointing, moving all in from UTG, you pretend to have something strong like TT+AQo+KQs+. and KQo is close to these ranges.

Tournaments are won by those who are brave, not going all in with those cards is being too cautious and losing the opportunity to win more chips and maybe with some luck until you get a better position or even win the tournament.

Attachments

• KQo Nice Push 3bb UTG.png
    KQo Nice Push 3bb UTG.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't know, everyone says you should go all-in, and I'm leaning towards that option as well. But if I were sitting behind players with fewer chips or the same number of chips, I would really think about throwing away the cards, because most likely your bet will be called by the big blind and you can lose and lose a lot of ICM value. In this case, you need to take everything into account. And the stacks of other players, and the jumps in money, but I would still go all-in)
2.7bb
If they fold and are in blinds next... & if there's antes in play, they'll be priced in to call with ATC.
I think they're far better of shoving... maybe someone calls.. and then maybe someone else RE-Shoves to iso.. and so we end up HeadsUp with some extra dead money in the middle with 'maybe' a chance to quadruple up (maybe).

OP, seriously though, you should be looking to get it in way before this situation (unless you already have and were unfortunate to lose an allin and were left with only a few bb's).

I've actually watched you play a fair amount and have notes on you. A tip for you that I think will benefit you far beyond any answer I can give you for this KQ hand is... PLAY FAR LESS HANDS!! AND.. STOP open-LIMPING! Your VPIP in one game I saw was close to 75%... and I'm not sure if I've seen you play lower than VPIP 40%. Tighten it up!

GNuTTz

GNuTTz

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Long story - short…. Very carefully. Too many factors to weigh.,. Every scenario will be different and hope luck is on your side. 🍀

serj537

serj537

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MD
Chips
With such a small stack. Definitely all-in.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I would just put all the chips on the table and hope for luck doubling to continue playing at the final table because you won't go far with such small chips and this hand is perfect for pushing

C

Clutchdenier

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well the thought process should be - What's the likelihood I get a better hand in the next 4-5 hands? Also your position - you'll be late position if nothing happens in the follow-up BB and SB, so maybe you see 3 all-ins and on the button with 1BB you get 78s which has good equity in a multiway pot. The 78 hand may avtually give you a bigger chip up than shoving UTG if you get the opportunity - essentially opportunity cost.

Though theoretically there is nothing wrong with going all in KQo UTG with such a small stack, you are VERY likely to run into Ax or a range of calling hands for such a small pot from a late position if everyone folds.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
How would you play this hand.
First hand at final table, you are UTG with a 2.7 BB stack and you get KQo. What would you do ?
Having such a low chip stack I would just play Shove or Fold Poker, For me if I managed to get to a FT and was in the money then any hand is good enough to just get it all-in with especially 2 high cards like KQo.
There really is no point in wasting your time trying to ladder up any higher as the only way to do that is by doubling up on every hand you choose to play.
You will almost always get calls from bigger stacks, hoping to knock you out of the game even with worse cards than yours. Why do you think Doyle Brunson won 2 World Series events with 10/2, not because he was a skilled player, but he had a bigger chip stack and knows any 2 cards can win in Texas Hold-em.
I once snap-called a player who went all-in without looking at my hand, but only because I had over 90% of the chips and when he turned over A/Ks and I showed a 6/2o He laughed until I spiked a pair of 2s on the River.

JeffSBrito

JeffSBrito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
When faced with the hand KQ UTG at the final table of a tournament, I take a careful and strategic approach. While KQ is a reasonably strong hand, it's important to consider the table dynamics, the opponents' chip stacks, and the information you gather during the tournament. First, we look at the size of my chips in relation to the blinds and the average stack. If I'm in a comfortable position, I can opt for a more aggressive approach, increasing the initial bet amount to try to steal the blinds. However, if my chips are a little more limited, I prefer to adopt a more cautious stance and opt for a more passive game, avoiding unnecessary risks. Also, consider the image that you build at the table throughout the tournament. If I'm viewed as an aggressive player, I can use that to my advantage by placing a bigger bet to represent an even stronger hand. On the other hand, if I am seen as more conservative, I can take advantage of the UTG position to place a lower bet and bring more players to the pot.

vladsink

vladsink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BY
Chips
it's all right and there's nothing to think about

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would shove without any hesitation

nelomec

nelomec

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
How would you play this hand.
First hand at final table, you are UTG with a 2.7 BB stack and you get KQo. What would you do ?
call ou raise and if i hit my hand ,in flop i can raise again this time 3x bb.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
you only have 2.7 bbs to start
With 3 months worth of debate on this spot, one that is obviously requiring some in-depth analysis, what would the general consensus be....
Is it
a) Shove all-in
b) Limp and see a flop... fold if we miss.. shove if we hit
c) Fold. quit poker and look to see if there's an x-box game on sale

It's a tough one for me between a, b & c

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
easy shove with less than 3 bb...

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd fold.

utg w/ < 3 bbs, you're getting called by numerous players and your equity to win by the river is very slim. not impossible, but you have better odds to bust than to win.

you're likely the shortest stack, so you get paid the same amount if you bust out now or if you blind out, right? so, just fold and blind yourself unless you pick up jj+, ak. with your stack size and assuming 10% antes, you can survive ~2 rotations until you blind out.

a lot can happen in those 2 rotation, especially if there are players who don't understand icm and stack off pre/post flop. basically, you're banking on bad players make big icm mistakes and busting out before you, so you can take the money jumps. and if it doesn't happen, you get paid the same amount for the position you in.

it seems a bit silly to nit fold when you're a super short stack, but you really don't have anywhere to go but up in the money ladder and you can use the mistakes of other players to go that. it's the strategy I apply as a severe short stack at the final table and I've taken many money jumps I shouldn't have, but bad players will make mistakes and i use it to my advantage. even starting with ~5 bbs and finishing in top 3. i finished 2nd with .12 bbs, in the bb, when btn raised and sb 3bet. I folded and it went aipf: aa vs ak.

my nit folding earned me an extra ~$18, between 8th and 2nd place.