How to play small stack against someone with a big stack?

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you have less than 10 bb your game choices are going to be most of the time going all in or fold, you should wait for a decent hand to shove all in. also position is key because you need to try to push all in and steal the blinds in late position against players with middle and bigger stacks. near the bubble try not to risk your stack except with a very good hand like ak, aq ,pocket tens or better, and as soon as the bubble burst take risks and shove all in with a good hand.

Lheticus

Lheticus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on who has the big stack. More specifically, it depends on how aggressive they are. Do what you can to study their behavior. How often have they defended their big blind? Are they calling smaller openings much more than big open raises, or are they calling indiscriminately in that spot? How often do they raise, limp, or call a raise in non blind positions? Are they closer to your direct left or right in position?

Basically all the time in poker, the answer to the question "what should I do?" relies on the answers to many other questions.

K

KaliganjaroM

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think theres no other strategy other than playing tight. patience for the right opportunity to strike and slowly build up ur stack. slow play preflop as good opportunities dont come that often.try to build up your stack rather than to double as you might as well get folded and end up with just blinds. better be patient and strike when appropriate.

H

heix24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
funny to see few agressors on one table, its not poker anymore

D

Dedulia

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In spite of that tournaments what stage of bubble or not and so on
For example I play in an open League from almost all hands are waiting for natz to fill the stack
and just played top pair or a premium hand in this tournament, it is important to go away and score more points in the standings
If I play MTT there with bonom from 30 - 100 $ and there I play will ranem step carefully and if visit to gain normal stack from 40-80бб then switch to aggression
We need to look at the field and it all depends on what you yourself hochish from the tournament:smile::deal:

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Sometimes I see certain players trying to constrain opponents with aggressive behavior each time they are raised or re-raised. The bet is part of the game: it is the only available instrument over which we have control and we can take advantage of trying to win. If it were not for the bet, just open the flop-turn-river and see who has the best hand. It is precisely because there is a bet that poker becomes a "game of skill". This kind of behavior is totally conflicting with our longings. And give smiles after a blef.

M

marinaki85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Small stacks are the bane of every cash-game pro's existence.Your chip stack is your life and you need to play the best poker you can with the chips you have. ... good luck//

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its kinda like that ole saying "the deeper the water the easier it is to swim"

if you are really short, icm becomes the driving factor, no fancy plays to worry about

yelmopoker01

yelmopoker01

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good reading of the opponent at the table helps. You have to realize that constantly bluffs and who always acts to steal stacks. I believe we must always be prudent in our actions, however we should not be afraid. If you want to win something, you have to be a little more daring. Then came the strong. Go inside. Without fear. After all, any winning play your stack increases double ne.

I believe that being with a few chips (less than 10 BBs), there is not much to do, all in direct or Raise - All in. Depending on whether the Blaides are down, they have time to wait for the best hands, but if the Blaides are tall, we have to go to the shove, preferably taking advantage of the position against a few players !!!

So that's it, GL on the tables !!!

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is nothing worse than the situation. In this position, you can rescue Allin with a good map. It is not always necessary to act in a poker pattern. Sometimes you pay attention to your second tells me.

vitja0101

vitja0101

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not a big stack going to the big only when certain

Socialpro29

Socialpro29

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I havent read every reply to this thread but the ones i did read most of them did not talk about push/fold ranges, some were hinting at the topic but most did not mention at all.

When you get to the point in a tournament where you have 20 BB or less, which happens quite often if you tend to play more mtts then anything else, then you need to have solid push/fold ranges for every position on the table. Granted you dont always have to be shoving pre flop if you have 20BB but with a low M, which is your stack in relation to the blinds & antes PF, you need to maximize your fold equity by open shoving, stealing, restealing, etc.

It is true that when called you have to have some luck and have your hand hold up or if calling a shove gaving your hand beat villans shove and many times will end with you busting out but if your goal is to win the tourney then this is the risk you have to take, a calculated risk any way. If your gial is just to make it ITM then you can sit araound and wait for premium hands to shove while the blinds steadily devour your stack.

Google push/fold ranges and you will find plenty of good information and how to develop your own based on your p5laying style. I will say that most of the push/fold charts out there are mathmatically proven for short stacks.

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The short stack player is likely to take less risk than other opponents as he will not play a series of bets at the same pace as his opponents, but for him every betting round may be the last. Therefore, he must first of all have experience and know how to play in such conditions so as not to be an easy prey for other competitors.
This player must be prepared and willing to go all-in whenever necessary.

martinlgs

martinlgs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
You have to analyze several points, the most important your position on the table in each respective hand ...
Then the quality and aggressiveness of your opponents, if there is someone steal many blinds ..
With a good hand, final position and if they have 1 - 2 players in the hand, you must go all in

martinlgs

martinlgs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
You should think very well if you are in the bubble, or at what stage of the tournament, of course if it is a tournament ...

shody

shody

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the big stack will raise every hand just to steal blinds because he has a big stack,i would raise all in with any pair,Ax and suited connectors.

KingSStone

KingSStone

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait for the best opportunity to pay a call poi he will certainly give 3 bets frequently and with bad cards make his game and not increase with a good game let him hang himself in his own tie

mm maksik

mm maksik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Phil Gordon "little green book" read the small, green book. there is an article, which I adhere. to play against the big stack, having a little - not worth it ... always at the table there is someone who has almost as many chips as you, at him and see. My advice to you: read books about poker

D

Daniljev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Gordon "little green book" read the small, green book. there is an article, which I adhere. to play against the big stack, having a little - not worth it ... always at the table there is someone who has almost as many chips as you, at him and see. My advice to you: read books about poker
And with a big stack, it is better to play against the little ones. Repeatedly I convinced of it.

AntonEast

AntonEast

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you only have 10 big blinds you would want to pick a good spot to get it all in. Don't call all in if you don't have a great hand, but you can raise all-in with a pretty big range to try steal the blinds. For example, if everyone hav efolded to you in dealer position you can go all-in with a lot of hands just to try steal the blinds. Sure it's a big risk but when you only have 10 BBs you need to play like this

strodawg

strodawg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not much u can do like that

Today playing a tournament followed the advice given to me here on the web. Accomplish go further than usual. What happened to me was that other players began to make his big stack and could no longer steal blinds or make folded. My stack was much reduced and only wait for a good hand to go all-in. Today my serious question, what strategy to use in cases where the opponents have more than 50 blind and I less than 10?

If the blinds are up high then u gotta pick a hand and position u feel most confident with and if the blinds are low Id try to make a hand cheap as possible with the hand and position I feel most confident with. AJ+ can get hurt often by 54 suited j10 even any pocket pair. so much can beat the good cards everyone loves to shove on. I consider everything 50/50 untill atleast the flop comes. That will tell u how close or far you got. I don't listen to ppl that get mad calling me a donk cause I beat them on pocket 7's againist AQ with a low draw. most the time they feeel like i shouldn't called 3xs bb to see a flop but if don't hurt my stack that isn't donking. I hope this helps