How to play small stack against someone with a big stack?

AKApokeruga

AKApokeruga

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Today playing a tournament followed the advice given to me here on the web. Accomplish go further than usual. What happened to me was that other players began to make his big stack and could no longer steal blinds or make folded. My stack was much reduced and only wait for a good hand to go all-in. Today my serious question, what strategy to use in cases where the opponents have more than 50 blind and I less than 10?

Do you meant heads-up? If you play with 5 or more players so you must play with all of them. Waiting for good hand is the best strategy in my opinion. Notjust cause of big stack player. But cause of all 5 players in game.

M

MrMiyagi420

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that if you are short stacked you should be more aggressive (all in or fold) then usual cause you don't have the luxury to play many hands sometimes you just have to take the leap of faith and hope for the best but i do try to have any suited connectors any face cards any ace and obviously any pairs but try not to be in a multi player pot if you have the lower range of the cards that is what i do

Bogdan Pyts

Bogdan Pyts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to play on the strategy of push fold
profit! :)

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Today playing a tournament followed the advice given to me here on the web. Accomplish go further than usual. What happened to me was that other players began to make his big stack and could no longer steal blinds or make folded. My stack was much reduced and only wait for a good hand to go all-in. Today my serious question, what strategy to use in cases where the opponents have more than 50 blind and I less than 10?

Because he was big stack!!! In this case BS could do everything he want, while trip over somebodies AA, KK !!! If you are able to cut him into the halves, then he often change his aggressive game style.

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playful would never fold AA to the Big Stack no matter what, what do you have to loose. If you make it to the turn depending on your position Playful would even check raise the BS with an allin. I wouldn't worry aboot any trips if so it would be a suckout. If you cant double up with AA you will knot have a butta chance!

Last edited:
AKApokeruga

AKApokeruga

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because he was big stack!!! In this case BS could do everything he want, while trip over somebodies AA, KK !!! If you are able to cut him into the halves, then he often change his aggressive game style.

Do you really think that big stack players will lose their hands if you will raise to any of their bet? At whih lomits you play? At micro limit as I see when you play agains big stack player you must play by card and try to win as much chips as possible but only when you have good hand. Cause of that players think "I have 5 times more chips than this guy so I could lose 3 all-in's before I will lose. And that gut can afford himself to lose just 1 of them.".

A

Agent Folder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends. In that case I usually go all in if I have good cards. If no, I dont know, call and wait what will do the opponent, hope he will give you the chance to see flop or simply fold and wait new opportunity.

AKApokeruga

AKApokeruga

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends. In that case I usually go all in if I have good cards. If no, I dont know, call and wait what will do the opponent, hope he will give you the chance to see flop or simply fold and wait new opportunity.

But in this game you will lose more chips that you can win in all-in situation if your opponent will not call. For example in heads-up situation your opponent will always raise to 2bb to steal your blind. If you will not call or re-raise so he will steal your blinds until you will lose.

E

esp7458

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
all in or fold with under 10 BBs.. with an ace go all in

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Big stack does not = good player. Often at micros it's someone with instanly good luck.
So read your op:
a. if he is shoving A2o wait for a good hand.
b. if he is TAG just fold(yes sometimes with AA too)
LOL, please explain your justification for ever folding AA with 10bbs in a non-satellite tourney.

Simple answer on how to play w/ 10bb. Shove nash ranges, call off tighter than you usually would, and look for +cEV shove spots vs opens. You shouldn't be messing around postflop, limping, or making standard raises.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes the hand you have doesn't matter. If you are in the SB and everyone in front of you folds, to me, that's an opportunity to steal a big blind even if he is likely to call at least you are only up against one hand. Alternatively, just because you are being pushed when in the small or big blind depending on how many blinds up the person is how they have been playing etc. an allin risk with something less than a premium can help you double up and if lucky be the beginning of a small rush. But table read is real important so you have to pick your battles carefully, though you don't have much time. IMO

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fff

Hello friend.A big stuck is trying to steal everything and pressure each round.so the best way to face that is check monster cards.Be sure a good player with stuck will always hit the flop .For example is you got a set on flop check .2nd check will make him raise at turn for sure ;).So passive play is the best way

AKApokeruga

AKApokeruga

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello friend.A big stuck is trying to steal everything and pressure each round.so the best way to face that is check monster cards.Be sure a good player with stuck will always hit the flop .For example is you got a set on flop check .2nd check will make him raise at turn for sure ;).So passive play is the best way
If the high stack player pushing to you so you also could just call his bets with waiting of some seconds. They love to feel that they pull out your chips slowly.

fantata666

fantata666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to wait to make a mistake and shoot with all available means :)

A

amadeusace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You just don't play... 😉😉😉
There is no play with 10bb, you just use push fold charts. I recommend jennifear.

G

Guiguero

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you only have to play the strong hands, but aggresive.

The people with big stacks raise all the time to steal your blinds, and if you are big blind sometimes you have to go all-in, because if they havent a strong hand they will fold, and you increase your stack.

And with your strong hands (like AK), you have to be aggresive: all-in or a big raise.

Also you have to raise if you are in the button and the other folds (usually), you will get the blinds

M

MrMiyagi420

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i say fold til you get any pocket pair any 2 face cards any suited connectors any one gapper then you push all in either way you will have to go all in eventualy cause you only have 10 bb:)

A

Agent Folder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But in this game you will lose more chips that you can win in all-in situation if your opponent will not call. For example in heads-up situation your opponent will always raise to 2bb to steal your blind. If you will not call or re-raise so he will steal your blinds until you will lose.

It is true but bluffing without any chance, it is very risky.

A

Agent Folder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And if he try to steal from you several times, one time you will get the good cards and he will lose completly.

P

paulsmall007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Push fold chart is there for a reason , don't get into making loose calls with subpar holdings looking to get lucky, a big stack will try to pot commit you and u don't need to get there with anything less that suited connectors and pocket pairs

ubo

ubo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, everything depends on the situation. If a player with a big stack is aggressive, I think it is necessary to turn its aggression.
I.e. to do a re-raise...
Well, if passive the most important thing is not to fall to his bait...

M

Mauno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait good hand and must have some luck on your side in this situation. Cant bluff but play solid.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
focus on position and the villans and try to take the path of least resistance

Snakmacher

Snakmacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends how the BS is playing if not carefully you can make couple traps with nuts like having KK and raise 4x bet .. and than after hitting K or getting two pairs check.. if fish will try to make you fold but after his reraise you can shove.. and in most cases they call it.. and than you double etc.. If the BS is tight you can be stealing pots without much effort.. however if they break pattern and shove or make big raise.. fold would be best :]

mcgregor_415

mcgregor_415

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, it depends very much of several factors like position and how much limps/raise you have behind you. With two high cards like KT or QJ you must go all in. A with something is also worth a try. If there isn't ante you may wait a little longer.