how to play AK in a tournament?

C

chemdawg42

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're pretty much always raising it preflop. Unless you're super deep stacked (150bb+) you should be prepared to get all-in with it pre.

Postflop I think betting on the flop when you miss is acceptable. The turn and the river are more situational, you need a read on what type of holdings your opponent will continue with before you can 2 or 3-barrel.

If you connect then bet pretty much every street for value unless the board is incredibly wet.

C

CristianoNgo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
one of the best hand to play in any tournament :)

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Everything is relative! You first observes how the table is going and then decide how will play.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
always keep in mind its a drawing hand..lol I mess up alot:p

pcgnome

pcgnome

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually play AK with the intention of folding when it misses the flop. You can lose a large portion of your stack if you go chasing. There have been times where I've regretted even playing AK when I'm to the bubble. It loses a lot to the pre-flop 3 outers. When there's two other callers in the hand. Be wary that there could be another player with an ace, and the other player with a pair. You don't want to overvalue big slick that's for sure. It's a great hand when there are only a few players left at the table. Remember that your at a 54/46 disadvantage against any pair, so I won't shove with it unless I am at < 15 BBs.

S

StarsLuckyAA

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion - IN position, namely: Cutt-off and Button

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
raise strong. dont shove unless short and never shove in early stages early

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I think AK especially offsuit is often over played too aggressively. Example you 3x -5x the preflop bet and get a caller who hits a mid range card on the flop. Depending on position and what's left in your stack you are potentially pot committed and can't walk away from a push by that player now even if they have J10 off (like what happened to my AKsuit a few weeks ago) guy hits a 10 goes all in and caught a runner runner flush on the river. On the one hand I played aggressively and correctly (at least in my mind) and called his push properly but even if he hit trips I am hard pressed to fold that hand now. Don't know the answer trying to figure it out myself.

But my undocumented memory tells me that if I play these hands without as much aggression I get further in the tourneys. Position for me is (as stated above) really key but you have to know your table. If a freeroll, figure anything goes and its a toss up regardless late in the game same thing. As nobody has skin in the game.

Another example late in a tourney I have 7k in chips and there was another 7k chip player on the table playing aggressively so I figured I would push him out preflop. I had been playing conservatively all game and nobody at this table caught me on a bluff. I knew he would call almost any mid range bet so I pushed all in preflop. He called with A6 off and hit a 6 on the turn knocking me out. We are going to lose even when we play correctly. But tournament play is all about getting to the money so it becomes a bit of an art to pick and choose when to push against someone that will call with an A trash hand. And being able to recognize those players and trap them becomes the real challenge IMO

Fenix7

Fenix7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a tricky hand. I play AK:
Bigstack I upload and if I connect I go All in
Short Stack I go All in Preflop
Medium Stack Rise or call depends on how you have acted before.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use this hand to force my opponents to give up on the flop, and if he calls, I have a lot of space to play post-flop, or (in most cases) we pull the coin. Sometimes i just fold this hand on preflop. Depending on the situation

I

I2jr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is not a bad hand depending on the blinds we have and the position, but I think that humbly as my opinion is a hand to play with caution, I think we have to seriously think the position and bets previous to us since we go all in pre -flop as eh seen many is not so good idea, sometimes folding those letters would not be a bad play but playing online, humble opinion nothing more, I hope to contribute something with this greetings to all community

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
raise-reraise or all in if it's less than 7-8 BBs

D3STR0Y3RaJ

D3STR0Y3RaJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3 bet on preflop ,cbet on flop,river and turn u need see what will make your opponent.
If u seat on BU and MP 3bet u need 4bet his 3bet.And u have 5-8 BB all in automatic

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't see a point of shoving until the final table or a short stack condition. No money to be made otherwise and a pair is good against you preflop.

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
overvalue cards, but can be strong against impatient tight players that can play agressive A whit low kicker. if you are in far position normally is a must fold, you can call or 2x bet only if you know that you won't receive a high 3bet and yes whit short stack is all-in.

J

Jacoval2010

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is very difficult to play AK in tournaments because players always bad damaging the play are.

MsNutHand

MsNutHand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the position in the table, number of players in the table and in the hand, and the size of my stack and from the opponents, stage of the tournament but normally play agressively in late position...

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hello

Hi all.Ak is a difficult card.It may made you king or leave the tournament
One good advice is a 3 bet pre-flop.Semi action and easy fold if the flop is bad.Also if you find an ace on flop or king,its good to check in order to see the reactions of opponents .Anyway Ak is not the best hand and should not be played like ACES

M

MEJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're first to act, or there's limpers in the pot, raise significantly to get weak hands out. If you get 3-bet then you have a decision to make. If you have one or two callers then you play according to what comes on the flop.

media

media

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me AK is difficult card too. I prefer open this hand with 4bb-5bb watch the flop , if board help me I make CB 4-5BB . I always play different this hand , depend from position and stack size.

Last edited:
PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
My general rules to AK:
Early to middle stage of tournaments (i.e. deep stacked) play it with caution. You don't need to raise and re-raise with it preflop it is a drawing hand and plays well postflop.
Late stages (i.e. short handed short stack) play it aggressive.

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends what kind of mtt u play in freerolls u can get beaten often especially in early stage of mtt. I just raise i dont want to go all in if i have decent stack cuz AK is a good card only when at least A or K comes on the flop

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on position but I don't trust to AK so I like to play it cautiously

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
protect your cards bigger raise and you want juse one or two players in hand....

M

MrMiyagi420

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i say be aggressive pre flop and play cautiously post folp as others have said position number of player etc play a factor in how you want to play your hand no shame to fold after you missed the flop