How important is luck to winning a tournament?

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Luck will always be important, of course, at some point luck has an influence, but it also requires a lot of skill and knowledge to keep moving forward. If we say that it is 100% luck or 100% skill, it would be a total lie.

C

Clutchdenier

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you answered the question yourself

luck plays a huge part

70/30 skill to luck ratio IMO

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck is very important to me. Without luck, if I don't have a good map, I'm helpless. bluffing alone can't increase the stack.

ztibor72

ztibor72

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
You need luck to win a tournament.
It's already lucky to win the coin flips, but you usually have to win hands from the bottom at least 1-2 times.
Of course, skill is more important, but you have to be lucky to win.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im gonna put it this way. I rather be lucky than being skilled. Ive won tournaments through pure luck.

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
I would say 39.73% luck, 60.27% skill. :giggle:

I like this quote from Jesse May.
"Poker is a combination of luck and skill. People think mastering the skill part is hard, but they’re wrong - The trick to poker is mastering the luck."

JetmirDulja

JetmirDulja

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I very much important because at some point you have to win your all ins and not only when you have the best hand… as patient as you may be or play the game perfectly at some point you need luck also .

JeffSBrito

JeffSBrito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Throughout my poker journey, I was lucky enough to experience moments when luck was on my side, leading me to final tables in tournaments and even winning on a few occasions. I recognize that luck plays a significant role in the game, especially at crucial moments when a crucial hand can determine the outcome. However, I also believe that luck favors the prepared. Behind these fortuitous opportunities was a constant effort to improve my skills, study strategies, and improve my reading of the game. Luck can open doors, but it's my ability to make intelligent decisions and seize opportunities that makes the difference. That's why, even when luck is on my side, I try to remain calm, stay focused, and continue applying the strategies learned over time. I recognize that not all results will depend solely on luck, but maintaining a positive mentality and learning from each experience allows me to grow as a player, regardless of the final result. In poker, luck can be a valuable ally, but it's my commitment to continuous evolution and dedication to the game that allow me to achieve consistent results.

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Luck is very important in life in general not just in poker. Of course in the tournament you have to make the right decisions accompanied by success and luck.

Poker is a long-term game, if we always make the same decisions, we would surely be lucky in one tournament or another. So, don't think too much about luck and try to think about the mathematical side and be objective.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I never rely on luck in poker by the simple fact that until that luck reaches me I won't have anything left to play with

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think luck is always needed because it's poker you need a share of a percentage of luck to win tournaments it's about 20% I think good luck is enough for you to win the tournament, but you need it right when the hand is very big and you have to win there, then you'll go far ahead

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to get very lucky to win a tournament, no doubt about it, even to FT you need a lot of luck.

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Short term somewhat important, long term meaningless/not important at all. If you ever feel like someone made a bad decision and 'sucked out' on you just check their Shark Scope graph. I've gone through literally 1000's of player graphs from GG over the past 3 months and can say 95% or more of the time a player who won because they 'got lucky' making a poor decision in the short term inevitably are down money lifetime on the site.

elchonga

elchonga

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It's fundamental
No matter how good a player you are, without luck you don't win a tournament

Berandir

Berandir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Some say that the luck factor in poker is very low! What really counts is the skill and knowledge of the player. finally, that minimum portion comes from luck, which does not cease to exist in any type of event.

A

AntoniodeLima0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
It is very important when we talk about pre-flop allins, in plays with many outs, in short, when all the chips are in one play. When we talk about every hand of the tournament, the importance is reduced, since you won't have it all the time, and you will need to adopt techniques other than simply turning cards to win the tournament, bluffs, strategies in positions, and everything else.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Luck is important if you're behind in a hand. Other than that, skill should get you through to the $ and then some. :cool:

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I believe that you can't force luck, you just take advantage of it🤔

MackemMan

MackemMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think that at some stage in a tournament you will need to rely on luck to win. I much prefer to catch a lucky streak towards the end of games rather than build up a mass of chips just to get stung by the chancers.

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say that it defines a part of the result and is one of the pillars to win in Poker.

ninpo

ninpo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
a LOT in my opinion you have to win the flip
and when you are behind you have to have luck to get there

A

AKampie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
NL
Chips
You need 1 or 2 hands of luck to win tournament

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
According to my experiences without luck you are not able to win a tourney. During every tourney there is min. 1 hand where you win with worse hand against the villain (for e.g. with a runner-runner).