How high must buy-in be before people stop playing bingo?

B

burba

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
AT
Chips
We all know that a freeroll is - at least at early stages - like a lottery.
It can easily happen that you go all in with KK, get 3 callers and you loose as someone makes a straight with 4/6 off suit.

From which buyin will this change to have players play with only what you're learning to be a good start hand?

I played some small live NLH turnaments with 5$ buyin and even there single players go all in first hand without even looking at their hole cards. (having the opertuinity for double rebuy if they loose)

rsparente

rsparente

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my experience it changed only 109+ buy-in, but, it's tricky as the higher the buy-in the more you're gonna be in 4 vetted hands.

Lucho.riv9

Lucho.riv9

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It can easily happen that you go all in with KK, get 3 callers and you loose as someone makes a straight with 4/6 off suit.

From which buyin will this change to have players play with only what you're learning to be a good start hand?

I played some small live NLH turnaments with 5$ buyin and even there single players go all in first hand without even looking at their hole cards. (having the opertuinity for double rebuy if they loose)
I understand you, freerolls with more than 2000 people playing are a lottery at the start, but I recommend you level up your CardsChat membership to play silver and platinum freerolls. There are fewer people, and they play safer and smarter, it's more enjoyable and competitive.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Premium freerolls could be exceptions. :)

There are decent players even at 1$ MTTs.
So no worries...

Gdefender

Gdefender

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Unfortunately, I also experienced Sit&Go mostly, but also in tournaments back when I was still playing with a (BIG) bet compared to myself, that even with a bet of $50, waste hands are pushed in... So it's no use going with KK, your opponent will simply give your allin J with 2....and unfortunately they often win with it preflop! So you can find a normal game for over $100,,,in most cases,,

markdias

markdias

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
No matter the buyin, no matter the prize pool, there will always be this type of player, of course at the highest buyin there are much fewer, but there will always be one or another player like that...

Silversurfer99

Silversurfer99

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
No matter the buyin, no matter the prize pool, there will always be this type of player, of course at the highest buyin there are much fewer, but there will always be one or another player like that...

I agree with you, it really boils down to what you consider is too much to throw away on a poker game, In some Countries buying in for $10 or $20 Dollars is comparable to a Weeks wage, But here in the UK it wouldn't pay for a night out, So the buy in is a limiting factor when it comes to which games you play.
Your bankroll is also a limiting factor, if like me you do not want to lose it all in one night and much rather prefer to follow a strict strategy that helps it to grow slowly over time.
I am not in any hurry to "Get Rich Quick" I have plenty of money already, but to me Poker is a Hobby, nothing more than a bit of Fun! and the best part is it has cost me nothing to play for the last 20 years.

When the fun Stops, STOP! (I will)

R.Melnyk77

R.Melnyk77

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

Players who play with junk have always been and will be. I've played in tournaments like the Sunday Million, but even there, in a $109 buy-in tournament, I've seen crazy people just playing with garbage. You probably won't do anything about it. Maybe in tournaments with a buy-in of 500 or 1000 dollars there are no such players, but still, one day you can meet an opponent who will play bingo, because this money simply does not matter to him.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to learn know how to deal with that because you're going to face that in every tournament you play.

What are you expecting at a final table when the blinds are at the nosebleed levels or near a bubble? You think folks aren't going to shove on you to take the blinds and antes?

You and only you have to find something that works with your game, style of play and your expectations.

If you don't like the all ins then see if you can find a limit game but again even in a limit game the blinds and antes like in a stud tourn will eventually destroy you.

Play hands without a lot of action in PLO omaha? or omaha8? perhaps that might be a better option but you can still run into bad holdem players trying to play PLO and jamming pots, lol. You have to learn how to deal with them.

Its part of your learning journey of determining what cards and when the risk is acceptable to YOU and not anyone else to jam with and when to avoid the shoves.

GL on your journey.

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
In Hight buy-in tournaments from 109$ and more the style of play will change and the number of lottery bingo players will be less and less.

B

burba

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
AT
Chips
ok. So 100$+ players will play more normal style with some exceptions depending on the player and for sure depending on the progress of the turnament.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think if you definitely want to play where there are no bad players, tournaments from $1000 start there you will definitely meet few people and there will be very few bad players. The rest of the limits are available to everyone even just rich people for them, it's not money so just play and have fun they say if you play well, winning won't keep you waiting

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that even on small buy ins it's not a completely bingo anymore, I usually play $3.30 buy ins tournaments and it's way different that when I play freerolls. But you're going to have crazy/fish/loose players at all levels, even on the higher levels. Occasionally I was able to play $110 tournaments (winning ticket through satellites) and I also saw these type of players.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You are going to find bad players at all levels. Even super high-rollers will attract the odd millionaire whale that just enjoys playing the game.

Remember though, it's those bingo players that help make the game profitable, so embrace playing against them and accept that even the worst players get lucky.

Silversurfer99

Silversurfer99

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
So have you played against rich millionaires :unsure:
i did...it was a 500 dollar sat for the gg PARADISE...i was the only non millionaire on the table..to my right sat brynn kenney..even ole Schemion was in the tourney, although not on my table..to sum it up..there were donks as well..because appearantly 500 $ is just peanuts for them.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it all depends on who you find yourself at the poker table with. Some people take freerolls quite seriously. Others will come in to play drunk and will not spare a few dollars for luck. They won't even notice that their pockets are empty.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You'll find whales at every buy-in level. Just fewer as the stakes increase.

Z

Zipptydoodah

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
I had the chance to play (Freerolled in) a $300 wsop seniors event in Rio De Janeiro in 2018. This event for the most part was played by very rich casual players. At a full table it was common for the "WHOLE" table to see the flop. There was a rebuy at my table about every 4 hands. One player felt bad whenever he did knock someone out that he would buy the player back in. Raising preflop at this table did nothing besides make a huge pot preflop. My most memorable hand was betting 1/2 my starting stack preflop with KK to get 5 callers. On a uncoordinated flop of J 8 3 I went all in after no one bet. Player 1 then called with nothing but just wanted to see what I had, Player 2 had a K rag suited and got runner runner to make a flush (he said he was beat but as the chip leader he just wanted to play). (Neither player touched the flop) That is probably the loosest game I have ever played in. After 4 hours there were less than 10 players knocked out.

GNuTTz

GNuTTz

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls are bingo halls!! So, I would say that a minimum buy-in of $10 keeps most of those annoying shove till you drop types out of sight 😂

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The most expensive tournament I played in was the $11 bull tournament on WPT Global? and there the player opened the previous one in 5bb, I put everything with a 19bb stack with an AA hand, the player who opened the call had 72 different ones, I definitely didn't expect to see such a hand with such an opening and position there

JasperDan1988

JasperDan1988

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips

I must admit that, this is one of the more annoying things about online poker! I don't see it that often in live games (I am a croupier) but in my experience around the £20 mark people play a little more Conservative!