How do you deal with someone who constantly over bets against you?

J

j t

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
go all in on him a few times. hes doing that because he knows you wont raise. he has bad hands more then good ones. show him up and he will stop!!

B

bigjay2007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just wait until they bust out (usually) or i get a premium hand and raise their ass. Most of these clowns are poor players who are playing for something to do, not because they care about winning.

Just my opinion of course.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes you have to make a stand and instead of folding when he raises, fire back at him, but don't move all in so you will have chips to make a continuation bet if he does call you, which I really doubt. You have to realize that he can't have a good hand every deal. just like you don't, The main thing we all have to get at the table is respect and all the advice in the world can't tell you how to get that. It's something you have to do on your own by making believers out of some players that already have respect and try to rule the table, Just my 2 cents GL to you

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Well , the answer is not always the same . It depends on the stack I have ,the blinds level , if it's the final table.
On a big stack , I prefer folding many times and waiting for the good hand that will make him lose eventually a big part of his chips . If he thinks that raising , reraising , 3 being, 4 beting all the time will make me fold because I'm a weaker player than him , he's going to pay this misjudgement , and this has happened some times .
But the problem is if my stack is low , then I start playing a wider range of cards as wide as the aggressiveness of my opponent is when my remain blinds is very low .So I'm ready to shove preflop if he doesn't fall back with not only high pairs or big Ax but with more cards as long as my situation gets worse and worse.I've seen many react to these LAG players immediately , even if they have big stacks , ythey fight fire with fire like someone above said ,this is a tactic I don't follow as I am not yet capable enough to outplay them , but hope in the future to be , cause these overaggressive LAG are really pain in the ass , sometimes they remind me of donkeys .
On a final table , well , it depends mainly on what position I have , the position of the others , the payments and on my stack.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just be careful and pay attention to villans that do that especially when you get around 18bbs

wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Usually are you waiting for a good map and try to beat or set a trap .

R

renatoAD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to play in position, hiding good hands like AA , KK ... and playing post flop if you do not come hand like AA , KK .... try to explore other players !

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Or does not respond to this man, just play your poker, I understand that if contact with an opponent it rarely ends well))

champyun

champyun

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are a few things you can do, but start with seeing what he shows down, and seeing how his aggression builds/levels off street for street. He may like to rep stuff and when he sees that you/whoever does not go away he only continues his aggression (OTT,OTR) with strong made hands/huge draws etc. or he plays bluffs and made hands the same and so on. Try to get a read on WHY he does what he does. AND how he continues street for street when he 3 bets or raises first etc. You kinda have to get to SD here for some reads, but some you can get without as well.

Is he ONLY like this vs you (sounded like that in your OP) then ask yourself why? Is he agro only IP, or does it matter? Once you narrow some points down (he is more agro IP, or from the blinds) or he is agro vs everyone, or vs you then you can start to ask questions as to why he does what he does.

If you pay attention to what he does and vs who, and (hopefully) get to see some SD hands, you should be able to start to try a counter strategy within a few orbits.

I couldn't have said it better. Only one thing to add ... pick your timing, but when in position, just call him on a few streets (if not all-in) to see what he does on the river. "How" you call makes a difference as well. (Example - Call on the flop after a bit of thought; Call on the turn quickly). If he gives up on it on the River, you may have him. If he fires at 3rd bullet (and you don't think you can call), tank and make him wait to get a fold. This sometimes sends a message, "Quit *&%$ing with me."

Bob McPherson

Bob McPherson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I know what you mean . . .

a maniac can kind of ruin the game for everyone. Of course these players usually appear mostly in freerolls or microstakes, where they don't have much on the line. I think all you can do is wait patiently for a monster to play against him, or wait for him to bust out. Players like this may get a stack early in the game, but it usually isn't long lived. Maybe try playing a little higher stake games. The higher the stakes, the more serious and dedicated the players. The better the players, the better the learning experience imho. Low stake maniacs tend to treat the poker table like a dice game with cards. Best of luck.

Jim Brown

Jim Brown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally do the opposite of what your opponents are doing, if they're too loose you play tighter for value, if they're too tight you loosen up on steals and resteals.

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that kind of constantly aggressive players in tournaments have short life in it, someone with a good hand wait and give him a quick exit ...
You should have patience and with a good hand like monster 3bet or 4bet or just go allin:D

P

PW300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This happened to me in an Omaha tournament the other day. This one guy was max raising every hand on every street and he had already eliminated about 6 players because he just kept catching whatever cards he needed to win. Nobody wanted to call against him because he was making it expensive to see the flop so he just kept stealing the blinds as well. I just kept folding until I had aajj, and thought this is my time to fire back. So I 3 bet him to try and get him to fold but he just reraised me again. We ended up going all in and he had terrible cards. Unfortunately for me, the board flopped low cards and he ended up hitting a straight on the turn and eliminated me. There's nothing worse than being eliminated by someone who plays like that. It's the kind of thing that puts me onto tilt.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Usually I wait a good hand and win more cheaps possible.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sitting before a LAG is the worst place at the table. Therefor playing very tight
is asked for.

I agree with the people saying loosen up. I think playing very tight is a loser. You are going to give up pot after pot that could be taken down, as your stacks shrinks, your premium hand is going to get cracked by 78os.

To win you need to have some gamble in you. If you could just wait till AA or KK why would people play?

T

Tobaer

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only way you can beat a bully is by understanding the reason why he does it. What is the strategy behind that, assuming that he’s not some agro dude gone creasy because he lost the tourney held before the one you are playing.
The strategy is simple and it has to do with observing the field. You have to seek for the tight players. The kind of players that play only premium hands, in other words the nits. Once you’ve spotted them you go and steal. If they’re in the blinds raise, if they raise, 3bet.
On the long run you can earn with the steals enough to fold when some of these players 4bet you. If you wake up with the hand then ship it in.
On the other hand, when you are been bullied you have to call more often with speculative hands and if you raise and get a 3bet then just call with the strong hands.
To the bullies applies the old saying “why do the pushin’ when the donkey will do the pullin”.
So to a 3bet pre flop you call and wait for the inevitable c-bet. Show a little weakness by tanking a little bit and just call. Wait the turn and if he is committed and the board isn’t scary, drop the bomb.
In my opinion this is the only way to outplay a bully.:cool:

J

jeesus

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just wait for a good hand and let him do the rest :D

rohankamble9

rohankamble9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i Hate this kind of players very much... i was playing 1.1$ phase 2 mini-wcoop...after around 1 hour of this tourney..i was shifted to another table with a stack of about 250k.. on this table everyone was playing a bizarre game..calling, limping raising with any hand and getting lucky.... within 15 min i was out of the tournament... man i was so frustrated

A

AsusTeam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For him to be so aggressive about you , he must have acquired some information about you , review your tournament and descuba which this tell that you pass to your opponent

B

boomeranged

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Although I partially agree to other people, I think you should be patient with such players and check out their hand ranges during showdowns and memorize how they play what they play. This way, you'd have a general idea of what is their typical range. Once you have a broad idea of their range, compare your hand with his average hand range and play back if his range is weaker than your holding. Do not call unless you have aces or Kings (You slow play in that case and just call them down PF and Flop and reraise the turn) and keep reraising whenever your range has his range beat. Aggression can only be dealt with aggression. Period.

A

Anna Nikolaeva

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, enrage maniacs. With these players very hard to play. Sometimes it seems to me that playing robots. Because they are lucky, how they map to the bank are not logged in. But to teach these players I have turned:)

A

AhiRaviv

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
play tight and shove against them

tight game shove to trap

D

Dan Lucas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are a few things you can do, but start with seeing what he shows down, and seeing how his aggression builds/levels off street for street. He may like to rep stuff and when he sees that you/whoever does not go away he only continues his aggression (OTT,OTR) with strong made hands/huge draws etc. or he plays bluffs and made hands the same and so on. Try to get a read on WHY he does what he does. AND how he continues street for street when he 3 bets or raises first etc. You kinda have to get to SD here for some reads, but some you can get without as well.

Is he ONLY like this vs you (sounded like that in your OP) then ask yourself why? Is he agro only IP, or does it matter? Once you narrow some points down (he is more agro IP, or from the blinds) or he is agro vs everyone, or vs you then you can start to ask questions as to why he does what he does.

If you pay attention to what he does and vs who, and (hopefully) get to see some SD hands, you should be able to start to try a counter strategy within a few orbits.

This advice is dead on the money. This kind of player is the classic table bully, and you have to determine whether he always has it or is just trying to get into your head and push you into making a frustration move. I love watching the best bluffs with Ike Haxton when he went against 8 high with 7 high, and neither player wanted to give in. Ike eventually won the hand pre-flop. He made the read that his opponent was weak, and just trying to get Ike to fold. If you don't want to play back, you have to let your emotions go and just wait for your spot. Or be prepared to play back and take your chances. Remember, poker is a jackass, and the donk with 2 7 off sometimes cracks the pocket AA.

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
juste wait real moment to go all in and take WINN IF Iam better

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait good cards and take him down.
I hate players who are too agresive,just wait good cards and show him exit door!