How do you deal with someone who constantly over bets against you?

yeezus

yeezus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely open up your range against him and fight fire with fire. Once you get a premium against this guy give him enough rope to hang himself with.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a strategy that I have had success with. Wait until you get a strong hand, of course. Limp into the pot by calling the BB and hope he raises. Then call his preflop raise. Check the flop, then call his C-bet (I am assuming you hit something on the flop). Then shove the turn. The turn bet usually scares them off. They are banking on you folding and will continue to bet, so if you just keep showing weakness (checking, limping, calling) you can induce them into betting. In other words, set him up for a ball, and avoid playing hands you are not comfortable with a re-raise (which is a good strategy any way).

B

bremensha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing LAG there are some advantages and some negatives.
+ = playig bigger pots vs the players in position
-= playing bigger pots vs players sitting oop
So sitting just before him you have a disadvantage in position. You need to select your playing hands and bet sizes to overcome this advantage.
Beeing agressive vs a player in position is the worst thing you can do.
Therefor you can only play very tight. E. g. if you have a big hand just call and if the LAG raises and get some callers you make a big 3-bet ready to go all in on the flop.

exer888

exer888

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
I got the same problem with overbeting against me . So very helpfull stuffs here, ty guys !

jedimindpicks

jedimindpicks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play tighter pre, play stronger range in general. I would check call a bit more and widen calling ranges post flop. Look for some decent re-shove spots, 4 bet wider with intention to get it in.

jedimindpicks

jedimindpicks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
becareful trapping this player type with medium type hands when it goes multi way. Very often other players have the same strat and start limping and checking sometimes with stronger hands.

2easy4ninja

2easy4ninja

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've come across this a handful of times and I have to admit, it's a hole in my game because I tend take it personally. I'm talking about the person who specifically plays back against you, either 3-betting you pre constantly, raising your c-bets and shoving or over betting the turn, or donk betting and 2-barreling.

I hate the situation because that one person, although he's not controlling the table since he's only playing against me most of the time, is keeping me from taking control. I can't seem to call him down on over bets without 2 pair+ cause it'll eventually lead to an all-in. Any mediocre hands doesn't seem worth it to call him down but waiting for a big hand against him limits you from chipping up.

What's the best way to handle this? Play passive until he's out or a table change, or play even more aggressively than he does knowing that your tourney is on the line?
i think we have anytime option "fold" and if you in position with premium hand (40bb+) u can all 3bet 4bet, but if you really need $ and dont much risk we have option "fold"
KJ AK QK hands in this situation lose much time 22 33 77 9T
captain obvious strikes again!))

D

Daveydocs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's just a waiting game with these type of people. It will help if you see them play a hand with someone else and it comes to showdown so you can see what they were over betting with. But really, you just have to let them dig their own grave when you're sitting on the nuts or second nuts. Those type of people always end up shooting themselves in the foot

L

laststand69

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on the situation tourney vs cash game. In tournament play I tend to play that much tighter, and then play passively when I hit a hand, and let him/her bet to me.....cash game I simply go to a different table no profit to be had fighting against uber agro players.

L

LukeSilver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on format stack levels etc. there is the reverse lag playback basically they play lag to provoke you to play lag back and then hang you.

at certain stack sizes this is not possible eg 20 or less blinds theres a lot of re raise shove spots which they cant exploit and will hammer the hell out of them.

100 blinds deep it can get a lot more ugly though. if you play tight they can recognize the range you playing and fight back the trick is to range merge eg you might re raise them with stuff like AJ A10s KQ KJs 88+ but also 76s 87s 98s 109s etc of couse if you go that route you have to play your draws very aggressively as if you have already made them.

if you also play made hands very aggressive it will put them in a world of pain. also bluff x% of the time but have it y% etc. when I was playing heads up hypers i got pretty good at fighting this type of player.

However I never did the math or worked on how to combat this deep stacked.

L

Lumpz72

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This type of player is especially annoying in STT's, where any reraise basically pot commits you. I must admit these players take me off my game, especially if they are on my left.

F

Finger5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tricky situation to deal with, probably one of my worse not withstanding donkeys constantly lucking out, but anyway. I tend to ease up on my game, be prepared to fold more often than usual. call where you would normally raise. Wait for your time, or wait for someone else to do the work for you. If everyone else fails to do it for you, just remember you can play the others not the villain. Try to work it so he alows you to see flops, chances are he will get bored. Hopefully it ties in with a nice hand working well and now its time to do the damage ;). Try to use it as an opportunity to work out his game. Chances are it's a standard 4xBB repeated over and over maybe varied to get a call. try and work out his reaction to others playing. There's more for you to learn from him than he from you if he doesn't change his game. GL

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
juste wait my hand and go all in......

ribaric

ribaric

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you dnt have good cards and you know he will over bet fold but if you have good cards raise and if he reraises you reraise or go all in

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Because I study child Players Playing mostly to luck, it's a hole in my game because I tend take it personally. I'm talking about the person who specifically plays back against you, either 3-betting you pre constantly, raising your c-bets and shoving or over betting the turn, or donk betting and 2-barreling.

vic88888

vic88888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess by playing with the cards you have and by having the confidence that you indeed win. It does seem frustrating as if it is directed at you. One does not know for sure. This person is probably reading that you will fold perhaps based on prior game analysis. Someone will eventually call as I am sure others would be noticing also.

7svetoslav

7svetoslav

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If im seeing that he cant handle some situations, ill be more likely to call his rise but on some good pairs or some highs with kicker. I have to be sure, but most of the times im calling his re-bet cause the bet isnt that bigger than mine.
If its bigger, i have to rethink his actions. Some players i think use it for strategy, i dont know how much it helps but ill read more here and will see. :D

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ZekeRam one thing you have realize is the fact that player or another can't have a great hand every round. So with that in mind, if you want to stop him or at least slow him,down, when you have a good starting hand that you believe you can call, raise, or even move all in with, and if you are first to act, make like a 3bet, and then when he re-raises you have to fire back no matter win or lose You have to get some respect at the table, or he will continue doing the same. Always know your position and know what you can and can't play in that position. And use it against moron players GL to you

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This seems to me not like a certain type of player but in fact a very specific player that you must deal with often. If that is the case you might need to bully the bully.

G

galojmi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing tight against such players are good
if he re raise your bet everytime than its better for you to control on yourself and when good cards comes on your hand than play against his raise

C

coachlary69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Recently I have encountered these types of players more often than usual at the microstakes level. I also encountered this type of player in a recent freeroll who seemed to go all-in every time I was on the button. Luckily somene else picked up a hand and knocked him out of the tournament. My strategy is to just sit tight and wait for a hand good enough to call. Short term I may feel like I'm losing against this player, but I know that in order to be successful in this game it's all about the long term. If I can leave the table and return with a better position against this player then so be it. Otherwise, I'm going to sit back and wait or leave the table all together, which I have been doing, especially against some of these players from brazil and one in particular from Israel.

qkamara6ina

qkamara6ina

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say if he overbet me i will reraise to all-in with a medium hand, just for the lolz, and to beat him of course :D

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i was playing last night and against a good player seen him at plenty of final tables well he got about 16k early in this event i had like 4500 I woul with decent cards and position call with no raisers well he would reraise after about ten minutes i caught him for a couple k so was like 6800 to his 13500 say. At that point he went all in over and over and over where had to wait till got a hand to play against him think was 1010 that time. Well he went all in when i limped and i called and caught him with 87. That was like at half hour so I had the chip lead now like 16k and he was shorted he continued to go all in 5-6 times in a row. I got nines called him and took him out. Had like a king 2 if remember right. It took a long time to miss hand after hand after hand. Yet end of that first hour I was in chip lead and finished at a final table.

Patience and perseverance are my keys to this game i say it to self all the time. Cant win every event and cant win in the first hour if isnt an sng lol. So patience is the first key waiting for some quality in order to make a move on the guy causing me an headache lol. Perseverance is next and thats when this yahoo catches on the jack two to my aces and ruins my day:) Yet its about having short term memory and moving on to the next mission:)

Hope advice helps a bit we all run into these guys. Sometimes they burn us. Sad thing is this is a good player who was drunk or in some type of mood lol:)

J

jerohit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wait for good spot and good cards in that spot to take revange.. I reraise him when he commited to pot or open the pot.. and if he reraise my raise then snap all in..

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think double his bet or All-in is the best way, but i will consider it over and over when the tournament is in bubble period.