How to deal with limpers?

H

Houdini9

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
odds will make you the favorite but play [passive small ball until you have the Nuts then Jam.

GL GL,

HOUDINI9

M

MakTrue

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday I had a freaking bad beat after bad beat after a limper, he would always limp, AA/QQ/58o or whatsofrigging ever, he was a calling station. u could never put him on a range or nothing. Although I tried to modify my strategy, I eventually lost chips and got mad after two bad beats in a row and went full tilt. How do you manage this kind of situation with loose passive calling station players?

Good day!
I think the best strategy would be to catch them with a good hand, they will be playing at a distance.
Good luck!

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think Dusty Schmidt put it best "punish the limpers". If they call too much -value own them, if they fold too much - cbet them to death.

OMG, A+ for a Leatherass quote!! I wonder how Dusty is doing these days, is he still playing at all? I think the answer is no, pretty sure he left the game quite some time ago... but I remember the good old days very well indeed, and Leatherass was a big part back then...

Edit to add: his twitter account is marked "suspended", so that's good news. :) It means he's still alive and still the same outspoken person obv, love it!!!!!!!!!! I also see he does have a twitch stream, but he only made two videos and that was 5 years ago.

Last edited:
P

pcurley17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When people always limp I find myself becoming aggresive
however not sure if this is right and feed back would be great !!
Thanks

lovemiscou

lovemiscou

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Odds will make you the favorite but play [passive small ball until you have the Nuts then Jam.

GL GL,

HOUDINI9

I think he sums it up right. I am playing in home games live for the past 2 years, at the beginning i had a lot of trouble adjusting to all the limping going on at the beginning of tourney and adapt. So i tried to keep pots small, unless i flopped monsters, then i made them pay and hoped my hand won, played only good playable hands, like pockets in hope to make a set, suited connectors, suited aces and the premiums i tried to raise to filter the playing field.
But when the blinds get bigger where it costs them a lot to limp or chase, i start playing my
raising and re raising with good and marginal hands in position.

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limpers

Yesterday I had a freaking bad beat after bad beat after a limper, he would always limp, AA/QQ/58o or whatsofrigging ever, he was a calling station. u could never put him on a range or nothing. Although I tried to modify my strategy, I eventually lost chips and got mad after two bad beats in a row and went full tilt. How do you manage this kind of situation with loose passive calling station players?

I have regularly ran into these types -Limpers- even in Play Money Card Chat League, strange how they limp AA,AK etc and of course. garbage Limps, I guess the strategy that I have found that works most of the time is PATIENCE,,,eventually you'll catch your Premium hand and their limp will cost them big time. other than that its hard to play aggressive when you can't put opp on a range..:):):)

Pawlowski

Pawlowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Force him to change it - increase the pot every time he do it and see his reaction.
On keep in same strategy as he is - it will be also hard for him to understand...

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would tighten my range and bet bigger and more aggressively when you have a good hand. Let your opponent pay you off, if you make your flush or boat you'll be happy you have a calling station on the other end of it. The tilt part is hard, nothing worse when you outplay your opponent and get it all in way ahead and then they hit their long shot on the river. It sucks but that's poker and it happens to everyone. GL

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
:D lol, that's one of the best strategies you can lose against. The truth is that you still sound angry and let me tell you that that was precisely the reason why you lost, a person who limps aces or QQ or KK must know well when to do it, it is like a reverse bluff with a great hand, you have to play really careful against someone like that and what's more, also being very patient and calm, apparently you lack the last two. Successes in everything in the future and remember if you get angry you lose for sure. Regards.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of all calm down and understand, that even you have a slightly stronger starting hand on average, you are not supposed to win every single pot. So isolate the limper preflop, and then postflop simply play poker. Classify your own hand strenght correctly and dont overplay, just because you feel, the opponent is bad. If he flopped bottom pair, and you have K high, he has the best hand, and there is nothing wrong with simply taking free cards and giving up, if you dont improve.