How to get a good run in long tournaments ?

A

alex_Romejz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play tight to start the tournament just premium hands when mtt´s going older change your style to agressive.

D

Danc1u

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way to make this is to play only premium hands....u have chips to way,it happend to me:) not to play a hand for 1,3 hours...not even 1,and still managed to get deep ITM,at the start u need to avoid some all`ins especialy at low stakes like 0,50cents,1-2-3 $..tight is good :) in poker:D

Bogdan Pyts

Bogdan Pyts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tight style it's very nice strategy.
it allows you to make fewer mistakes.
because the key to success in poker is the formula more win - lose less

migesan

migesan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in each game in a poker game, it is more important to be patient and wait for the right cards results will be visible ;)

Jim Brown

Jim Brown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Early Stages
2. Mid Stages
3. Bubble Approaches
4. Final 2 tables / Closing it out

1. Early Stages . I think you have the right idea playing premium hands in early stages. However I would add that you should look to play pots multi-way with big suited cards, suited connectors, pairs, and big broadway hands. Stealing blinds at this level doesn't give you much value, however if your table is playing way to tight, I'd open 50% of hands in late position to 2, 2.5, or 3bb. Even if called, you get to almost always play in position (unless you raise CO or HJ and get called by button) Your image will be loose / aggro but you know that isn't the truth and can induce some people to play big pots with you WHEN YOU HAVE IT. One other person is correct, look to play pots in position against weak players early. They will stack off with Top pair top kicker on any board.

2. Mid Stages. When blinds are increasing and antes come into play, stealing blinds and antes is important. You still want to focus on playing in position. You should have a decent idea of your table (unless your table broke several times) and you should raise in Late Position with a big % of your hands. When you get to 25-35 bbs, you need to use your chips while you have them. If you dwindle down to under 15-20 you will have a shoving stack or a re-shove stack at best. This is where you want to apply some real aggression and not be afraid to play pots. Keep your stack at 30-50 because you want to have some ammo when the bubble approaches.

3. Bubble. When the bubble nears, you need to be ready to attack medium stacks. You can attack short stacks too, just know you will have to call a lot when they play back at you and shove their 10-15 bb's. Keep in mind your steals don't have to work even half the time for it to be profitable. With all the dead money in the pot you will be making money. If you are the short stack 15-20bb's, then you won't be doing much stealing. You'll be waiting for spots to shove or to re-shove the initial raiser.

4. Final Two Tables. This is what separates the great from the good. This is where you'll set yourself up to be able to close out the tournaments. You will get into short handed play and the aggressive players will have the advantage. Don't raise all your hands, but 75% in position is about right when it's 5, 6 or 7 handed.
When you reach the final table you'll have a big stack and be able to control the table if you'd like or you can sit back for a bit before you use your stack to your advantage.

With all this said. Tournament poker boils down to a couple things for me. 1. Pick your spots 2. Be aggressive, but know why you are doing what you are doing. 3. Win the 60/40s and 50/50s you will have to get a little lucky to win a tournament or go deep. Good luck at the tables.

- This is my first post/reply besides my intro, I know it was long but I wanted to help if I could.

Good luck,
stokedog

Good post, especially the bolded. I have been practicing this, but at the expense of losing my 80/20s more often, like KK<99 all in pre to flopped quads. 99 is the best hand, I cannot beat it.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just played my first long multi day tourney and found in the early stages I was raising 3BB with premium hands like KK and AA and getting 5-6 callers. Not good as one flopped a flush on my KK hand and also got outdrawn on AA. Has anyone else had that experience? In the early stages when blinds are low should you be raising more like 5-7 times BB pre flop with premium hands to limit callers? I mean you want someone to call but not 6 people. :)

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to play rly agresive.later you can calm down,but in the start of tourney try agresive,try bluff try all in!

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pick your spots and be patient. Also the variance in MTT's is going to test your will power within the game.

D

dfastest4444

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Tourney Play

I joined this site to find excellent tips just like yours. I was just recently about to make it in the money. I got bused out by about 10 places. I was playing really well but I kept raising towards the end to flush the players out. I got called and caught a few times. That's when I lost.

playing only premium hands isn't the greatest stratagy cause people will stop calling you. (early stage micros it works) when you get near the bubble you need to open your range and start 3 betting mid suited connectors and your smaller pairs. Don't be a calling station trying to set traps 3 bet your small to mid pairs and steal when you have position.

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
A long tournament, usually lasting more than 10 hours, never give up or get discouraged just because you have few chips or lost a big pot. Most people who win a tournament that lasts so long were left with few chips at some point in the event. But with the right combination of patience, strategy and luck will make a difference for you.

D3STR0Y3RaJ

D3STR0Y3RaJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try to play rly agresive.later you can calm down,but in the start of tourney try agresive,try bluff try all in!
Not good idea to start tournament with agressive style cuz u can beaten by other players who can play better than u.
On early stage of tournament play very tight cuz u dont need to lose your chips.

D

Danc1u

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its worst ideea evver:) try to wait good cards and "steal" chips from ppl like him,who play very agresive and all in:)

D

Dedulia

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do not forget that there is such a thing as does not go hand
It's the best time to sit out
Will tell you one tournament I immediately stuffed a stack of about 100бб but then began to pour stupid pereezdy my AA with 99 and flush in full house etc
Then I just about an hour just prokticheski not played so a couple of small banks I already had about 15 BB passed the break and pasda map this tournament though I'm not won but placed in the top 6 at atamu sometimes you have to wait to sit but if you can not see the movie yet:)

yelmopoker01

yelmopoker01

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My question is about the long tournaments. The problem I have is continuity. At first only play premium hands and do well, I manage a good stack, but to spend time I begin to stagnate and I have to play more hands. After that I start to lose too fast and not get to the later stages of the tournament. My serious question that should be done to not stagnate and continue the run of the first hands of the tournament?

There are some tournaments that allow for late 30 or 60 minute entries, and many players prefer to enter near the end of the entrances, thus decreasing the total tournament time and decreasing the number of players, so their wear will be much less, as you stagnate In the tournament, I believe that you should not give a view on the table to play very few hands because the opponents will quickly classify their range of hands played, so you should work the best opportunities to steal the blaides and not just limp and Yes give more and more raises to increase your stack of chips.

So that's it, GL on the tables !!!
Yelmopoker01:)

H

heix24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for me it looks like there is so much to do with luck how the system is giving you the cards... happened several times already while playing two tournaments in one time, have same hands on both tables at same time, what are the odds to get that...

mcgregor_415

mcgregor_415

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The key is to switch your game in the different part of the tournament. The way you use your hands must depend on your opponents. There are a lot of great poker books that explains the basics of the decent play. The focus and composure for a long period is essential if you want to hit the money.

Tanvir Mahmud

Tanvir Mahmud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tournaments are all about waiting for the right hand and play you have to be fully chilled and not calling all the hands so there might be a change of winning :)

I joined this site to find excellent tips just like yours. I was just recently about to make it in the money. I got bused out by about 10 places. I was playing really well but I kept raising towards the end to flush the players out. I got called and caught a few times. That's when I lost.

Tanvir Mahmud

Tanvir Mahmud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you help me with some names please ??:deal:

The key is to switch your game in the different part of the tournament. The way you use your hands must depend on your opponents. There are a lot of great poker books that explains the basics of the decent play. The focus and composure for a long period is essential if you want to hit the money.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
At the beggining of the tournament play more hands , see more flops when the blinds are low and it doesn't cost you much to see a flop with suites connectors ,small pairs ormore hands in position . When the blinds rise , play more tight , but if you have enough/more than medium stack keepon the same gameplay .
On the bubble play aggressive against weak players and low stacks at the most , but not only , play your small pairs etc . Don't be afraid to play , I 've seen that the blinds you leave folding on the bubble are very important for ITM play .
When ITM keep on playing aggressive , dependingly what stack you have , big/very small=loose aggressive , all others= aggressive .

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
in Early stages try to play as many hands as possible (no tribets, etc) . Later on be more selective and bet only in position and with best odds.

At the Final Table play to go as high as possible where the Big money is. :deal:

M

marinaki85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is everything in poker,you have to otimize yoyr goal and wait..

Svyat66556

Svyat66556

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try to play not less than 8-10 distribution of, initially, a lot of people do or Razz and Allyn, the worst hand you can get into is not a pleasant situation, it is better either to wait, or who often makes a bet to kill only bet with a good hand.

CriesuaID

CriesuaID

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. Win some hands playing tight;
2. Close the Poker App;
3. Go to the Gym;
4. Go back to the table and play more aggressively.