• Start date
milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To some extent you are right. You should understand that on freerolls players give free rein to their weaknesses and do not bother with the consequences of the game. This can affect your level of play.

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends.If you are not a tight player who already had success in the buy-in tournaments you should definitely avoid freerols. The reason for that is quite simple it will make you even more loose than you were and that will of course cost you money.So it is really up to you, i don't mind to face one more opponent in 10000 seated freeroll.

X

xbursonicx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lately I've been feeling like the play is so wild and random

This is true for a certain kind of freerolls - the ones which has no restrictions on participants and hence have huge player fields. But I don't see how participation in such tourneys can hurt you as they require quite specific approaches not applicable in "normal" tourneys; I'm pretty sure that you won't forget to adjust your play when you get back to latter.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think its good to experience all kinds of play to improve your game.

vapandrei

vapandrei

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've recently been playing more poker online and usually like to get back in to the swing of things by playing a couple of freerolls. Lately I've been feeling like the play is so wild and random that the variance from bad players making horrible plays just makes it feel like adjusting to such "wild-style play" will over all hurt my game once I get back into playing micro and mid stakes tourneys. Am I right or just over analyzing??..

You have a point and an interesting, but once you realized that it can hurt your play in that way, you can stop it. The problem is when you don't see it in time.

J

jones278

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll Winner

I use the freeroll tournaments to learn the different styles of poker that can be played.
I didn't have any money in my account until last night when I won the Thursday cardschat free roll tournament, now I have 19.19 bankroll..its a start..
Thanks Cardschat for allowing me the chance to play in the tournament, also thanks to pokerstars for hosting the tournament.
Good luck today guys!

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I don't feel that freerolls can hurt your poker game as fr as you keep studying and evolving as a player.

I can tell for sure that you need to play more abc and be ready for some questionable calls but this is what is happening if the participants have nothing to lose :)

O

OwnedbyCow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use freerolls for warmups and to try out new strategies. In general I think more players play like maniacs and calling stations in the freerolls for the first level or two.

I usually try to find these players first then go for them so I can have a bit of a chip lead before I try to do anything new. It will give me some padding if I make a mistake.

I have asked myself the same question as well. Plus most freerolls seem like they have the longest duration compared to the other tournaments. 5 hours to win $2.50 in the $10 freerolls. If you don't have any bankroll, it could be a great way to get started.

C

chnkcntry

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ying and Yang of freerolls

I find them terribly frustrating as your AA gets cracked by garbage all the time. But I find I win the PS freeroll %75 (at least the 10 c) and have some money to get into satellites. Freeroll and paid tourneys I play completely different. I wait til I get a premium hand go all in and hope for the best in freerolls til I triple my stack and just play very patiently til I get to the money.

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've recently been playing more poker online and usually like to get back in to the swing of things by playing a couple of freerolls. Lately I've been feeling like the play is so wild and random that the variance from bad players making horrible plays just makes it feel like adjusting to such "wild-style play" will over all hurt my game once I get back into playing micro and mid stakes tourneys. Am I right or just over analyzing??..

I agree, so you can disaccustom yourself to do the analysis and make the right decisions in the game!:laugh::icon_shak

On freerolls with no limits, with 10,000 or more participants, especially at first there is a game of luck! No time to think - everyone is all-in!
That's why I like playing CC freerolls more! There is a real intellectual game, there is a certainty that all participants are real people, not bots!
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

B

Barbarik

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is necessary to understand that freerolls are mainly for pleasure, not for the sake of earning. There are also small sums for prizes, generally pennies. Personally, I play there to test myself, train my game and pump my skills in poker.:wavey:

jappchop

jappchop

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls are awsome some times you can make some great money or tournys tickets

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all, I don't think you have to change your game at all (of course depends how good your game is to begin with) haha , part of the experience is free learning, how to play different players , different plays, get a feel for the game, practice Making mental notes etc, everything you'd do in a paid tournament, and in any event you may still meet "donk" or loose players in a paid tourney anyway, so knowing how to navigate them is an advantage, also consistency is best, if you can manage 70% or more in top 15 or so, even if out of the money, i think you'll be getting quite consistent, and don't forget that good players still play freerolls, so some tables will be extra tough at some points with not all tough players making it to final 10, consistency, enjoy the battle, and practice winning, these are keys to any form of poker in my opinion, (practice winning is a thing to me anyway, once you've "learnt how to win" it seems to come easier and also you know what it takes)

K

Kiritoe

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
my opinion is that here's a difference in gameplays in terms of tournament and cash games. So you might want to determine the appropriate range, position and playing hands in particular blinds/time into the tournament for e.g. In certain situation, given the hands and position, you might want to go all in to snatch the blinds etc.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I do not agree with you. For example, in Cards Chat, freerolls people play adequately, and they do not differ much from tournaments with money buyin. Of course, if we consider freerolls in which 9000-10000 people participate and in which prizes are very small, people play in these freerolls inadequately. I think there is no interest in taking part in such freerolls. The best are Freerolls Cards Chat, they are very nice to play.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Depends on where you gonna be playing after freerolls. In micro stakes alot of players are just like in freerolls, basically no difference, while in my opinion freerolls will definitely change your game for worse if you usually play midstakes.

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be the best ... play with the best

When I was younger I wanted to be the best pool player so when I could get my hands on 25 cents I went straight to the pool hall and played against the best guy in town. I learned so much and eventually got to the point where later in life I won quite a few tournaments. Playing with poor players could definitely hurt your game, be careful.

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I was younger I wanted to be the best pool player so when I could get my hands on 25 cents I went straight to the pool hall and played against the best guy in town. I learned so much and eventually got to the point where later in life I won quite a few tournaments. Playing with poor players could definitely hurt your game, be careful.

Very nice , as much i said that play your best etc, i gave advice in this forum of getting better by playing stronger players, shades of what you're saying about pool, so I feel you're right, it's easier for some of us who think we're good at poker (myself mainly lol) and then it's easy to give advice to someone else saying "play weaker players , it's a blessing" , well easy for us to say that because we "know" our game, our strengths, the difference of tourney format affecting play,range, mental prep, we may know these things and more, and therefore play these "weaker " players (weaker poker) and not learn bad habits etc, but may not be easy for newer players learning the game..... thoughts to consider in my opinion, i have a friend who shoves AQ preflop while being high up in a tourney, just to start getting beaten and out say 30mins later, and in my mind I'm thinking "guy if that was me i would've kept my big stack and at least cashed before taking risks " ,
Bottom line - if new to poker , maybe find stronger games to play in somehow, or read books (i haven't done that enough ) but have the knowledge (warning ) to take advantage of freeroll players/style rather than take bad habits ....

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
... and by the time your down in the 30's-50's people left it starts getting more quality play[/QUOTE]

:hmmmm2: Why? I do not understand! Do you think that middle-aged people play worse?:damnmate:

ninjareal

ninjareal

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
... and by the time your down in the 30's-50's people left it starts getting more quality play

:hmmmm2: Why? I do not understand! Do you think that middle-aged people play worse?:damnmate:[/QUOTE]
Hi, I think they meant that number of the people left in the tournament, if say 500 people started and only 30 or so are remaining, usually these remaining ones are pretty good

blanktheman

blanktheman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

you not wrong in what you say. So many people take risks that they wouldn't do in cash games. It messes up the game for everyone. Only way to overcome it is to be patient. Wait for good cards and play properly.

Freerolls are extremely good practice for learning about poker. I've spent few years playing freerolls and I've learnt a lot more about poker than i ever thought i would.

P

Pwohar43

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are stil good practice. Picking cards to play. Play or fold, all the same decisions you would normally make.
It sounds to me like u just have to figure out when the refresher course is over. GL

Ross McCollum

Ross McCollum

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played many free rolls, and in my experience you get all kinds of players. Sometimes your table is full of donkeys. Sometimes its filled with tightwads. Sometimes you are surrounded by players better than you. Just try to adapt your strategy to the table and stage of tournament you are in at any given time. Good poker strategies work even if the buy in is free.

P

portystars

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
that diversity (esa es la diversidada

sometimes we get bored players playing frerrolls where we lose so many players lose patience and knowledge as a player involved is why sometimes we fall into bankruptcy and we have to start again from 0 for not having patience in the game, I like it more than anything, playing tournaments is where the money really is, since many more strange things happen at the table, many bad bets

Last edited:
Freeroll Passwords