Are freerolls even worth it?

T

time2tell

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just spent 4 hours to win $20. It doesn't even seem freerolls are worth it most of the time. You grind for hours to maybe place top 5 out of 500 people and win 10 bucks. Thoughts?

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They are worth it, if you have the time and patience.

For killing time, or getting even with the MTT world after just finishing OTM, free-rolls are worth it. But going into one, you know the odds or ITM, the time required.
Most days, a player doesn't have the time to put into a free-roll, in that case, it's not worth it.

But when you get super close to the money, and lose, free-rolls can help you decompress, in a game you're not risking anything. The answer in this case is, free-rolls are worth it.

M

marcopolo12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd like to start out with Freerolls and use any winnings to play increasingly bigger money tournaments. It's a challenge.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think its worth it. Think of it not just for money but to craft your poker skills.

K

kobra80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing freerolls is worth the time because you can test your skills on the final table for free

J

jeffman123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're a professional (or even just a decent winning player) then I would personally say that no, freerolls aren't worth your time. However, they can be invaluable if you're a beginner who is trying to build a bankroll without making a deposit, as well as if you're just trying to learn the game and don't have the funds to make mistakes that would cost you money if they were to be made in a cash game or paid tournament.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Free rolls are worth it. Where else can you learn the game grow your skill and bankroll so you can win more money. They are not meant to play forever but they are a great start. There are also players who just play for the enjoyment of the game. Remember that is why we started playing this game.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In life it don't matter how much money you make at a job its what you do with the money you make. Same thing with freerolls!

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No rake or buy ins but you can win something = worth it in my opinion.
Very easy to lose money with group 1 hands preflop and coolers any stage of the hand all day long after buying in to excessive rake and vicious variance at least in freerolls you lose nothing I reckon except time.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Just spent 4 hours to win $20. It doesn't even seem freerolls are worth it most of the time. You grind for hours to maybe place top 5 out of 500 people and win 10 bucks. Thoughts?

You can play freerolls and occasionally get paid for your entertainment. Alternatively you can play real money tournaments and pay for your education. It's a no-brainer.

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would love to have a free $20 in the next 4 hours. The freeroll I play I'm usually only getting $3 after 3 hours of play. It's time consuming for very little money but it's free. If you already have a decent bankroll then just skip the freerolls and play something else.

blackclover

blackclover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll are worth it, specially for beginners who are trying to build their bankroll without depositing real money.

C

ChinoBl1ng

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It’s all depends what your goals are and what your trying to accomplish. Short term you can make a little money but if your trying to make some real
money I would say no.

Playing these free rolls it’s a about discipline bc you can play so long but u won’t make a lot of money if u don’t get too 3 etc.

If you have small hopes the you should be okays

wrzlbrnft

wrzlbrnft

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips

$20 in freeroll, you reached FT, not bad..., without any risk. I think freeroll is worth if you are playing for leisure. For improving the skills you should also play some buyins
Now take this freeroll earnings and invest in a buyin MTT, if you reach there also top 5 under 500, well done...

inox73

inox73

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for sure they are worth something sometimes it is not easy and hard when many players play in the freerolls but some freerolls are great also the CC freerolls thumbs up and good luck to all

filippfilm

filippfilm

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Over the years of playing, I've learned that if you learn, you definitely shouldn't use freerolls for this . You can play them when you don't have a bankroll , but the game is completely different because the players don't appreciate their stack because they got it for free . That's why there are a lot of crossings on ridiculous maps and a large variance that affects psychology:jd4::jd4:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Its not a popular thing to say here in CC forum, but you absolutely have a point. If you have the required bankroll or budget to play even just something like a 2,2$-5,5$ small field tournament, its a much more rewarding feeling to reach the final table and compete for some 3-figure prices on top rather than just 20$. Its obviously also more risky, since you can lose money. But if you are serious about online poker, you dont want to be forever spinning your wheel in freerolls or for that matter pennygames, where, as you say, even the top 1% of the field is only guarantied 10 bucks. So if you dont have that starting MTT bankroll of say 500$ yet, then find a way to get it and leave the freerolls and pennygames behind.

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm fine with everything. But I don't use my money. If you have a good financial situation, then of course there is no point in sitting in freerolls. When my bankroll reached 2-3 thousand dollars, I did not play in more than one freeroll. Now the situation has changed. That's why it's normal for me.

Z

zeist2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I only play freerolls with turbo or super turbo format. I donot have the time to spent hours to win a few $. And i donot like freerolls with hours of late registration.

Z

Zirkzee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If playing poker is fun, why not? You can also build a solid bankroll with freerolls. Then you can play cash games with the bankroll you have built up or take part in tournaments with higher buy-ins. You can also learn poker in freerolls. It doesn't always depend on your mere hourly wage. Have fun, build a bankroll and try to improve your game ...

CylleP

CylleP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it all depends on what means you use. If you have the opportunity to play MTT, there is no point in wasting time on freerolls. It's another matter if you don't have enough funds to afford to play in paid tournaments on a weekly basis - then you can safely play in freerolls.
Also if you are a beginner or just want to improve your skills or test yourself. I think freerolls are fine for this - as a workout

P

pokerplayer1919

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yes and no

If your poor and don't have a bankroll then yes freerolls are worth it, plus you prevent your skills from eroding. But if you have money then freerolls aren't worth it!

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think freerolls are a great way to build your bankroll.
It costs nothing and gives you a good bankroll building opportunity.
You may have to sit for a longer time for a smaller prize, but the variance doesn’t cause you a loss, ergo the freeroll can only be won.
If that’s inappropriate and someone wants an instant prize, there’s the lottery or scratch card (although a couple of decades can be there for some prize :D).

R

Royal9012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play another game with the prize to try win more.

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
20 bucks from a freeroll is really good for 4 hours, I dont know what you are talking about because playing tournaments can make you down-swing real quick. 20 usd playing micro tourneys with your own money would be pretty nice profit.

Freeroll Passwords