Are freerolls a realistic way to learn Tournament poker?

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good to learn tourney basics, freebies are own beast..

freerolls are good, a no-lose way to learn the basics. After the basics, you learn strategy, timing, when to make the killer move, etc.

Bad part of freebies is no "skin in the game", other players not serious, auto-shoving way too much. And a lot of donkeys; they have nothing to lose.
The hard thing is to find freerolls without the same tough opponents, who you run into at every freebie tournament.
If you hate the hours it takes freerolls to get ITM, joing Carschat Freeroll Club.
Learn what you can, and you will transfer your skills to tourneys, cash, sit n go's; with experience you will find your level. Best of luck.

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes, they are. the problem is when some platforms like 888 use crazy structures where in less than 10 minutes you are obligated to shove.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, NeoBandit! I think, construction own bankroll with freerolls is normal idea, but is a very difficult... In this case will very important your patience, because, if You are a patience man, than this experiment with freerolls maybe a successful! Therefore, I can wish only You a patience and Good Luck, of course! Anyway, You are not lose anything, but get an one the Poker experience else...:cool:

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am struggling with tilt, I am spewing away my money every month and I just don't want to do that anymore. So, I was wanting to know is are free rolls a good way to learn to control tilt before using your own hard earned money or is that just a waste of time. I want to learn poker and get better at it but i continue to waste my money. Would like to know what you think thanks
the structure even of freerolls will be different - how to study the game - will not work, only as training your tilt resistance and identifying different types of maniacs

gravac

gravac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are in position of losing 10-50-300 $ sure you don't be throwing away your chips with 5 8 off, like in freeroll. You can build your bankroll from 0 which I find it very helping for starting players. Tell me where you get ex. 30$ from scratch...You can't learn poker in fr because players have nothing to lose and they are playing with anything that comes. They get bored fast and lose their cool, but if you have a little luck you can place yourself in ITM. As buy-ins are getting higher the poker gets harder too, so if you are unable to win at least something in freeroll, don't expect to win in a reg 16.50$ there will be a lot of hungry dogs waiting for your bones. Get familiar with the game and slowly start with 0.50 or 1$.
Don't forget one of the most important rule in poker. Your buy in should be X100 times lower then your whole balance.
If you have 100$ you should play at max 1$ buyin. So if you lose, you are in position of playing a lot more times again. Don't wanna lose 100$ buy-in from 100$ bank from that 8 who came on river and bubbled you with the str8.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls are played different because they don't have nothing to lose. People all in every hand jus because they can. They are good to help learn but not the best teacher. But if you build a bankroll up from freerolls, then it dont matter if you lose it all.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am struggling with tilt, I am spewing away my money every month and I just don't want to do that anymore. So, I was wanting to know is are free rolls a good way to learn to control tilt before using your own hard earned money or is that just a waste of time. I want to learn poker and get better at it but i continue to waste my money. Would like to know what you think thanks

Freerolls are a fine way to PRACTICE tournament poker & tournament strategy. When you play with solid fundamentals you'll tend to do just fine in freerolls.

As for LEARNING tournament poker, you're best off investing in a training program (some cost money and some cost you nothing but your time). Once armed with this knowledge you'll see your confidence rise along with your results.

Here's a great place to get started for free https://www.gripsed.com/how-to-win-poker-tournaments

And if you'd like a more complete program check out the 'free poker training' package which is on the site navigation. It includes a 10 part guide, and e-book, and some more information on helping you select the best tournaments to play.

Good luck on the tables, and here's to your opponents wasting their money to your bankroll instead of vice versa!

WhiskeyFix

WhiskeyFix

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You learn the structure of the tournaments playing freerolls, can build a bankroll, practice different strategies with different hands.

There's Good/Bad to only playing Freerolls.

balo

balo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
I play better when I play $5 to $10 tournaments. Your'e up against more serious players than in freerolls.

So I would start with $100 in bankroll and play $1 to $5 MTTs. Then move on from there.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, if you can't beat a freeroll, how do you expect to do it in higher stacks, where opponents are more difficult?

A

Arthur ZM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think freerolls are a realistic way to learn about tournament poker. At such tournaments you can practice playing, trying to use different poker priyoms about which you read in books or watched in a video about poker. In any case, playing freerolls you gain at least some experience.

C

Chachaboy1975

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way to learn is freerolls. I suggest making final table at least three times in freerolls before you deposit and play for real cash. Learning for free with a potential prize to get you started is extremely helpful indeed

C

Chachaboy1975

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are a fine way to PRACTICE tournament poker & tournament strategy. When you play with solid fundamentals you'll tend to do just fine in freerolls.

As for LEARNING tournament poker, you're best off investing in a training program (some cost money and some cost you nothing but your time). Once armed with this knowledge you'll see your confidence rise along with your results.

Here's a great place to get started for free https://www.gripsed.com/how-to-win-poker-tournaments

And if you'd like a more complete program check out the 'free poker training' package which is on the site navigation. It includes a 10 part guide, and e-book, and some more information on helping you select the best tournaments to play.

Good luck on the tables, and here's to your opponents wasting their money to your bankroll instead of vice versa!

I have heard of Apps that will guide you with the best mathimatical odds for the hands you play? Is this true?

C

Chachaboy1975

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whatever is free is good.

Best food I ever ate was free. Best drink I ever drank was free. I like free

jesuisjesus

jesuisjesus

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls most likely will teach you how to not play, how to control emotions and you can learn from other people's mistake.

B

BasTid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are BR builders, however they are a donk fest at the start, I tend to join them late as to avoid the complete maniacs, though its fair to say some of them will get lucky and you will have to identify these player mid game in order to double up on them.

Later on in the tournament as they are turbo's you'll learn when it is advantageous to push and when not to based on position, also during this time I use it to practice tournament management.

S

snaiper82

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion is no.I try not to play freerolls with + balance .When you play freerolls you start playing often make mistakes well, maybe because the prizes are small I do not know.It's hard to learn how to play there .This is my opinion

S

Stoun3417

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
On freerolls, you can fill in the starting capital to start playing in larger tournaments. They do not teach a special game, because the players there make a lot of moves that a good player would not do

Alekxandrovi3

Alekxandrovi3

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing in freerolls is like a play on small and medium-Bains. Play freerolls. Read poker literature. Build your bankroll.

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course not. And good that you mentioned their freeroll which is the best there is now, not many players and most of them serious

S

Svetlana1527

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The main thing is not to give in to emotions

Personally, I believe that the freeroll - it is an excellent school, because this game teaches endurance, not to succumb to emotions, you always have to watch the players to see the player, fish, maniac, and so on. Of course, this is not a real tournament with serious players, but a good school for beginners.

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I still only play freerolls and micro stakes cash. The best freerolls are private games with less players who are more likely to take it seriously. Most regular freerolls with get 1000+ players depending on the site. Also the more players enter generally the more places are paid, but the payouts are heavily biased towards the top 3 players, so a min cash can be a waste of time, playing 2 hours or more for a few cents. Having said all that, it is how I started and all my bankroll has been funded from freeroll winnings, and I'm not a good player

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if it is about controlling tilt then there are no better tourneys than freerolls.
With very much bad and very loose play you will surely suffer more bad beats
in them than in any other tourney... So you get plenty of opportunities to try and
keep calm and continue your a-game...

If you play serious you can even increase your bankroll with the freeroll prize money
that you make. And if you plan on playing micro stakes than the play in freerolls is not
so much different then in the cheapest buy-in tourneys.

1slsick

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are not a realistic simulation of real tournament play. Oftentimes players just try and double up in the very beginning. They'd rather not invest the time if they can't double up early on because there are so many players and so little prizes. Also, nobody really has skin in the game, so it's a different mindset. You still can learn some things, but be careful not to pick up bad habits in freerolls.

Freeroll Passwords