folding pairs in early stages

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on stack size (implied odds) and position. Generally yes in the early stage of the tournament from middle or late position. Not when effective stacks fall below about 45 BB.

M

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
For me it depends on the reading you have of your opponents, your stack and obviously the position at the table, although I must confess I am not very good at the latter, but I think that a good reading can help a lot.

S

SharkFinn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without having a specific situation, I think the short answer is yes, 77 is good enough to see a flop the majority of the time. In some situations I will fold though, say if a tight player has opened from early position or if there has been a 3bet. I'm surprised by how many people are saying they fold, you don't need to hit a set for 77 to be the best hand post-flop...

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to play them to see a flop if don t cost you much.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually that's when you can risk to see flops with even 22 if its low blinds to see a set depending on the situation. When blinds go up and up you should start folding pairs more and more.

rafcio20p

rafcio20p

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think very much like you, actually I usually play exactly the same way, but in the later stages of the tournament I still play too carefully and that is probably a mistake.How should low pairs be played later in the tournament in your opinion?
Actually that's when you can risk to see flops with even 22 if its low blinds to see a set depending on the situation. When blinds go up and up you should start folding pairs more and more.

G

Gusborgs22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on your position, from UTG i think its okay, but MP+ in early stages i think that is better for you to play the hand, the chances of hitting a set is 12%, so every 10 times you play 1 time you will hit. In early stages you have 100bbs, if you invest 2bbs i think it worths. And there is the chance of a low boad, that is good for you two

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
is folding pocket pairs 77+ in early stages too tight ?

maybe you mean 77 below

55 below early position I might fold it early stages but not 66+, yeah for me it's too tight to fold 66 and 77 early stages, but of course it's about you not about me, if you want to fold 77 it's fine it's early stages anyway

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes! You should play with them. of course it depends on a lot of things, but if you can watch a flop cheaply even with small pairs it’s worth it. You can win big with it. or you can win even if you haven’t become three of kind. If there is a problem, it can be easily let go.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
As said above, that would depend on your position, your stack size, the dynamic of the table and the action been taken before you.
In ideal conditions, and as cheap as possible, getting involved with small pairs in early stages is a great way to chip up when you hit that set.

V

vanish123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
YES! a pair at least u limp in EP. never fold. or u must have shortstack and it is shove or fold

rafcio20p

rafcio20p

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with you, there is always a chance to win a large pot. Especially when we play with a deep stack.
You need to know when to fold.
maybe you mean 77 below

55 below early position I might fold it early stages but not 66+, yeah for me it's too tight to fold 66 and 77 early stages, but of course it's about you not about me, if you want to fold 77 it's fine it's early stages anyway

W

Wiflopper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to to play these in good set mining positions.
VR a raise make sure he has 20x his raise.
I'll open all pairs when deeper stacked.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it would depend on your position i think, i dont like limping 66's and lower with a lot of people still behind me with a raise before me. i usually fold those hands then

if i have more blinds i dont might calling it via a lose player but really depends if you have notes on some players? tight players i fold them from time to time

people who keep betting every time i would call them sometime if i feel like it.

dont know if its the correct play but it works for me.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Depends.

Personally, if I can see a flop cheaply, then great. Hit the set and print money. Miss and be prepared to fold.

Early position, rather than early game, you'll need to consider the table you're at. Some games can expect to be three-bet every time...in which case, 77 can be uncomfortable.

From SB, I even shove 'em some portion of the time if it has folded around to me.

A marginal, made-hand for sure...but I suppose I play wider than most TAGs.

Cheers
ObbleeXY

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are some great answers so far in this thread. I would add that one excellent piece of advice I picked up from a poker coach concerned pocket pairs. It's easy to justify getting into a hand with a pair to set mine. But, if you can't find it within yourself to fold that pair post flop when you don't improve, and your opponent hammers the pot, then you will find success in mtts difficult to achieve.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you want to have at least 30bbs effective stack sizes if you are set mining, otherwise you wont get payed enough to make it worth it when you hit.

P

pepomjp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pocket pairs

Pocket pairs can be profitable if you see the flop cheap. But if it is raised strong pre-flop its better to fold.

F

fegyo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pocket pairs are ideal for limping

P

pepomjp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are some great answers so far in this thread. I would add that one excellent piece of advice I picked up from a poker coach concerned pocket pairs. It's easy to justify getting into a hand with a pair to set mine. But, if you can't find it within yourself to fold that pair post flop when you don't improve, and your opponent hammers the pot, then you will find success in mtts difficult to achieve.

Thats the key. Knowing when to fold it.

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the earlier the stages the more pocket pairs you should call. If you hit a set you can get a huge part of his stack and just calling pre flop won't hurt your stack.

psycodelic1

psycodelic1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i theres a 3 bet of course easy folding if some buddy raises and you called in mp and sb or BB shoves of course another easy fold .... you cant risk more than 10% of youre stack preflop with middle pairs less if youre big stack..... like 100bb the villain shoves 18bb or 20 may you call ....

D

dnadeau1989

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
always folding pair like 2 or 3 preflop unless its final 3

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Your decision depends more on how aggressive the table is, rather than what stage the tournament is in. If you are allowed to see the flop and make a set for cheap, you can easily recoup the costs of previous unfortunate events.

Folding in Poker