Fold quad 7s? what do you think?

P

paulsmall007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think I would ever fold quads and that would just have to be a cooler for me to feel bad about it, in any tournament how often u hit quads. Not even once a handful of tournaments. Even in plo it's rare, so I would not be folding there.

Jim Brown

Jim Brown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Terrible fold bet-folding the river with the second nuts to a single combo. JJ is at least slightly possible or maybe 99 if no bluffs or crazy flush/str8 (but not both) bets. The pot odds are plenty and a loss is not crippling.
Showing it is even worse.

neontuning

neontuning

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think very hard this opponent have straight flush, the all-in was only for you fold, I bet call in that hand!

A

AshTheGreat

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WOW.... just ****ing WOW... I have to say, im super awesome at reading people and cards and in this case, it looks like he definitely made the correct lay down. Could i make that lay down? doubtful, but maybe. If you put everything together, with the bets and the size of the pot almost nothing else makes sense. First off, you are playing against someone who has just won a bracelet, so you know they aren't ****ing around and they aren't going to pot the river w anything under boat w that board, maybe nut flush, but doubtful. Secondly, w 3 to the flop nobody is letting that happen w KK or JJ preflop, its just a bad play and he stated the kid he was playing wasn't bad, he's on day 3 of the Main Event. Lastly, board reading like that the only possible other hand you are going to come over the top with is KK, Nothing else absolutely makes sense, and with the betting the way it went there is only 1 hand that could be possible. He flats, flats, He's not doing that w KK, any good player knows to get paid on a cooler u have to raise, which is why you raise and bet your flopped sets. The kid is going to reraise preflop w KK. He's going to raise the flop or turn w a flopped set and turned boat w 99 or JJ, because its very possible the man making the bets is actually holding KK. If you tank on this and think about it there is absolutely no way he's shoving everything w a nut flush, he would just flat. There is only one option he can come over the top with and that Qs10s. I agree its crazy af, but if you think about it and the way the preflop, flop, turn, and river went down it had to be Qs10s. Impossibly crazy fold, I hope one day I am able to make the kind of lay down, if i had it though i would definitely show it. And the ONLY way you don't show that bluff is if you had the nutz, any other time, any other cards you are going to want to make sure your opponent knows they made a bad fold!

I'm so glad I read your post. I was starting to feel like I was the only one who thought the fold was good. I think the problem is most people don't get the pot/overbet value dynamic that exists in the semi-pro and pro level of the game. If you understand those, then it's obvious that a straight flush is AT LEAST 80% likely in theory, and a near psychologically impossible bluff (because you just expect to be called repping such a ridiculous hand), meaning the straight flush is the overwhelming majority of his range, realistically about 95-100% of the time, making the 3:1 call unprofitable as the only hand you beat is a weirdly played KK which shows up 5% of the time.

YoSoyMarce

YoSoyMarce

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you fold quads you are crazy or you are a very fearful person, thats really man? are you kidding me LOL

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Of course YOU'D say that. You're one of the worst maniacs on this site! :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

:D

It is Quads after all.

That's just my freeroll style, Cashing in CC freerolls while nice, it isn't the only reason I play them, I enjoy playing with friends while playing a game I love, that's why I'm always chatting.

Temp7

widron2s

widron2s

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can never lay down quads unless quads are showing. The odds of him having a straight flush is ridiculous and I would say that based on this piece of information: NEVER. If you get beat, you get beat, but never laying down quads.

D

demacedo6

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it was a very bad fold. the villain can have a full house, flush, straight ...

B

Blazed101

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why Fold? call and take the chance its poker!

7svetoslav

7svetoslav

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on situations, for some will be good to fold them, for others will be not. Position, stacks opponents playstyles also takes a part here i think.
You gave as example one of the pro plays, those guys probably had played outnumbered pocket 77's through their careеr. The instinct they have and the information they took about their opponents make the things almost perfect.

From my view, i love the pocket 77s and i play them more often.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you fold quads, not sure why you are even playing.

Tinfoilchef

Tinfoilchef

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Folding quads?!? Can't see myself doing that but even if the situation made me think it was the correct move, I'd certainly never show.

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
personally i dont think this is a good fold. there is 1 hand that beats you(QTs) + this is poker you will catch a cooler sometimes, but folding such strong hands.... well I couldn't do it for sure =)
+ you have vary of sets, streets, fushes that will put YOU on a set or butsted dro, or K high ... something like that. And folding quads agains the chance of Qts...
but maybe it's one the best fold you can imagine

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Professionals, playing the wrong hands, have the complete picture of what they will do in any situation and on any board. If you try to play the same hands, then you must have answers to the following questions:
When you need to limp with these hands?
When these hands need to improve?
When these hands must be 3-beted?
What to do if you see the flop cards XXX?
etc...

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great time to bump this thread since the 2016 wsop starts broadcasting today. Do anyone know if this happened on the main table or one of the side tables?

It is obviously a very, very bad fold. I don't know the betting action, but there is only one combo that beats quads. The play is to ship it in, and if God hates you that much for V to have that one combo, then you should be rethinking your life.

R

Ranny

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It was barely more than a min raise?

helpspb

helpspb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't imagine what made him fold that hand ... I mean, ofc, there's always a chance the opponent would have straight flush, but tbh what are the chances?! I'm not gonna do the math right now, but I know I wouldn't fold quads whether it's wsop or not

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I could never fold that. Of course you're opponent could have the nuts, but what are the chances?

J

jeesus

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
T

theresets

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think folding quads is ever justifiable. Even if this guy made the correct lay down, we are being completely results oriented. The only way I can see quads being laid down is if the other guy flips his hand up and shows you the straight flush.

R

rupa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think very hard this opponent have straight flush.

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does anyone know what day of the Main this happened on, or if it was broadcast yet?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I get crushed by a SF, so be it, but I am NEVER! EVER folding quads.

O

oksanamk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you are bed player,never fold quads

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I would never lay down quads , I just cannot imagine it , I read the article of the link , he took 7 min to decide and fold the 77 , I would make a snap call in one sec , if it was to lose, well ok , it wasn't my day , by all means my quads to lose to straight flush , even if it's main event . I would just either bet more on the flop or on the turn or less on the river because it's main event and you never know , but if he shoved as it happened, snap call , no think , no sweat , no anything else. .

Folding in Poker