Final Table with 99

D

Daithi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Odds Calculator says that even if the villain QJo your chances of preflop are about equal. Why risk half the stack?

4878539915.jpg

For several reasons. 1# Dead money. The payout isnt 1:1 but probably something like like 1.7:1 depending on the Ante. 2# Although they both get 50/50, villain gambles entire lifeline while Hero gets to survive.

Your selection of QJ actually fares out stronger against 99 than AK, as they both are still overcards but QJ has more chances to combine (though the 99 block 2 outs). For example have a look at 99 vs A7 which likely would be in his range too. Hero holds 70% equity.
3# Might slightly psychologically affect stealers against him for next few rounds.

D

Daithi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold.
Your stack is not so large that losing 9 BB will not worsen your position. And 99 is not the strongest hand in this situation. If we assume a typical range for such an all-in, then this will be the finished pair 99+ or A10 +. This makes your chances of winning 50/50.

Would have called with AKo?

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In second position for almost half my stack I fold the 9's and wait it out.

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, I would match if in previous hands the adversary was being aggressive, and also because it has 9BB and you have 19BB more with a pair of 9s because he would have a wider range of hands. Now if he was expecting was not playing aggressive and not equal because from the position where he is playing at the opponent possibly with stronger hands than your 9s. Greetings.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would have called with AKo?

Yes. In the above example, the calculator is QJo. AK is much stronger, because we beat almost all the aces from the villain's range, although the chances against the pocket pair are almost the same - we'll either get an over-pair or not.

Hi, I would match if in previous hands the adversary was being aggressive, and also because it has 9BB and you have 19BB more with a pair of 9s because he would have a wider range of hands. Now if he was expecting was not playing aggressive and not equal because from the position where he is playing at the opponent possibly with stronger hands than your 9s. Greetings.

I agree, I would look at the aggressiveness of the villain in previous hands.

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would find it hard to fold 99 in this spot but with the payjumps it could be correct. A big chunk of the time you would be up against AK/AQ and will have a small edge.

D

Daithi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes. In the above example, the calculator is QJo. AK is much stronger, because we beat almost all the aces from the villain's range, although the chances against the pocket pair are almost the same - we'll either get an over-pair or not.

AKo has 56% equity against the range you specified. In a few posts back you said that 55% equity isnt worth the risk. I'd be grateful if you could elaborate on this. Thanks.

Last edited:
Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AKo has 56% equity against the range you specified. In a few posts back you said that 55% equity isnt worth the risk. I'd be grateful if you could elaborate on this. Thanks.

The odds calculator does not show our equity against the range. 55% we have only when calculating for a particular hand. If we knew the hand of the villain beforehand, it would make sense. Speaking of the range, we must also take into account there pocket pairs 10+ which cost much better.

To calculate the equity for the range, we need to imagine with which range the villain will do the All-In from the early position.

D

Daithi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The odds calculator does not show our equity against the range. 55% we have only when calculating for a particular hand.

See attachment please..

Attachments

• IMG_20180625_214151.jpg
    IMG_20180625_214151.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 35
R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Instead of an odds of winning the hand calculation you need to do an ICM win/lose/draw evaluation. The coin flip loss hurts more than the win benefits. Why take the chance?

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it would depend on the stack size of the blinds that didn't act yet . If they are bigger than him I would definetly fold . If they were smaller and likely to fold I probably would take a chance and call , thinking that I am probably ahead .

M

masha535

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
watching him play throughout the game, but I would call

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
99 think calling is right, if the villain has AX, often would be earning, and the risk is worth it, because if you win the prize could you get fatter.

Miketheman190

Miketheman190

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold. Best case scenario would be a flip. If he is shoving that much someone will have a hand to call soon n one more player will be gone. The chips potentially lost at this point are worth more than the chips potentially gained

Clowntown

Clowntown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you could play this either way but it definitely isn't that loose of a call. Chances are he may have something like A-8 which you're pretty far ahead of but he could also have overcards, KQ, KJ , A-10 etc and then you're only a slight favorite.

Folding and waiting for a better spot is not a bad choice especially considering you're already second in chips and the pressure is on the other players to survive and get some chips.

Pocket 9s aren't super strong especially considering the raise is from UTG player so I think I would fold here pretty often.

A

AAbyss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If opp play aggressively call, if opp play tightly fold

T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Re-Jam sounds good in here you isolate the AggroManiac and you take all his chips

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chances are you have 70% or more equity against him without getting busted out. I would definitely call. Unless someone reshoves over the top before that. 99 are usually the best hand given that info his shoving range is huge.

F

fievr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
UTG shoves all-in with 9BBs,( he's been shoving since we were at 35 people left, 14 or 16 times or so, without being called once ), and you're on the button with 19BBs, pocket 9s, in second place with 7 people left. The payouts go up dramatically starting at 5th place. What do y'all do ?

If he comes calling constantly, It does not matter where he pushes them from, apart from only 9bb, that is, his range is very open, I would not even think it's easy call

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
quite a good place in the ranking, so I would raise to 2.5 ВB.

L

LuigiBros03

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call. Since he only has 9BB, his range is pretty wide. Plus with all the shoving he was doing, I would definitely have the best hand here. Call and move into the chip lead.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
UTG shoves all-in with 9BBs,( he's been shoving since we were at 35 people left, 14 or 16 times or so, without being called once ), and you're on the button with 19BBs, pocket 9s, in second place with 7 people left. The payouts go up dramatically starting at 5th place. What do y'all do ?

In second place you only have 19BBs ? So basically, everybody except for maybe the chip leader is shorted stacked at this table. It's going to become a shove-fest soon if it hasn't already started. How much does the chip leader have ? That factors in to the decision too. 99 isn't a super strong hand to call with here since you are flipping against all the broadway hands and only crushing 22-88. If the chip leader has significantly more chips than you, it might be worth calling here and take a chance at going up to 29.5BB. Worst case is you go down to 10BB and have to go into push-or-fold mode.

R

reggie_g

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for 9bb its a call,play to win all the marbles:)

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Instead of an odds of winning the hand calculation you need to do an ICM win/lose/draw evaluation. The coin flip loss hurts more than the win benefits. Why take the chance?
+1, the first that mentiones ICM
Without ICM it's likely a coin flip
With ICM it's likely a fold

someone that can shine more light on the ICM stuff (I have very little clue)

Z

Zikasamaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably call ,because you have more than him chips,and everyone folds to you and you have 99,a lot of heands can shove,broadvay,A6+,88,so call you go to win tournament not to enter in price....