fighting the boredom of long tournaments

vadimknyshov

vadimknyshov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely play only one tournament, and when I play 4 or more tournaments at the same time it is not necessary to get bored) But if I happen to play only one tournament I usually watch news or some interesting programs

B

Brandom1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes long tournaments are not easy to get through. However, getting bored is not a good thing. Need to pay attention or add more games (mtts, sngs, cash games) whatever it is to help you maintain focus. Make yourself some small goals to achieve each hour... Like get to 100bbs before the next break... or 3bet an opponent from the blinds that has been getting out of line.
Keep building your stack and playing well.. It's a grind but that's part of it.

good luck

stoke
This is some of the best advice Ive seen along with making notes on all of your opponents. couple these together and you should never get too bored. but as long as you're playing online you can also do what I'm doing now. During the break I take the opportunity to come on here and make a post or to read some great information.

Best of luck at the tables,
Brandon M.

koisug

koisug

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always have something to look at in parallel, often either humorous sketch shows or sitcoms. Not distracting, but if it starts tense situation requires careful dive, you can always put on pause.

A

Athopkinson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I generally play on my tablet with the TV on.

M

muunas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes im getting bored also of tournements when you have to sit or lie on sofa for 3 or 4 hours almost without any physical moves. but im fighting with that. i go to drink some tea, i do physical exercises, i do some breaks.

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you understand that there are no easy and comfortable way to win. without some boring moments, your on your way to winning at poker....
Besides, why are you playing? Are you there to win, to learn the game, and progress?
Or is it just another distraction in your day?

G

Gnikace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tv is okay, but when things begin to get serious, i prefer to turn it off and concentrate on the tournament. Also find good reading a good poker book like David Sklansky's.

G

Gnikace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some good tips on this topic, though. Like taking notes on the opponents. Thanks

F

fraggy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
noob xperience

in fact im just doing nothing.
either i chill out on the balcony and smoke some cigarrettes while playing or i just play 2 or 3 tables at the same time. im just not good enough or rather saying patient enough to fold every second hand. also i play focused so i can learn from my mistakes, especially when i forget 1 or 2 hand combs that make me out .

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use my old friend named Netflix to these ends.

A

Aglarion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm currently watching the European Poker Tour playlists on you tube, I suppose I should be paying more attention to the game but then I'm only playing freerolls at the moment.

dominiq

dominiq

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play two or three tournamenst at the same time, so it is hard to be bored.

deform fedot

deform fedot

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And I play calmly with music, or roulette in another window. So do not be bored and you should accidentally forget about the tournament))

tilan501

tilan501

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really just stay on facebook or something like that, but always trying to watch people moves, how they bluff, play somehands, play on some positions.
Try learning something that might help me winning.

trippin

trippin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really just stay on facebook or something like that, but always trying to watch people moves, how they bluff, play somehands, play on some positions.
Try learning something that might help me winning.
👍👍 , just watch people bust, and study. Then wake up with a big hand!

S

Samuel Kollapso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are bored while playing, better not to play, you must always be very attentive to the game.

R

rob feugill

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I listen to music helps relax and passes time.

M

myuk1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if im playing online, just one game, i will typically also have a youtube video or twitch stream or tv show playing concurrently. I dont see every single thing that happens on the table and probably miss some important information, but it helps me from limping weak hands out of boredom

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually if you are bored during a tournament... that means you are playing correctly. Tight is right at the beginning when stacks are deep and there are no antes involved. Resist the urge to play sub-par hands and get full value from the looser weaker players.

Once you start having antes and build up a big stack you can put pressure on the smaller stacks on the bubble with a looser range and build a path to a 1st place finish. It can be very boring at the beginning of a tournament, but think of the end game which is the final table. All the hard work and discipline will pay off towards the end of the tournament where the real money is at.

K

KarlAbbott01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find one game at a time amusing enough, I might listen to music or the tv bug I won't stop watching. When i get bored of watching I'd sit out and go for a cigarette.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I usually listen to music or I stay on Instagram so I concentrate on good hands!

Andrei Lisovets

Andrei Lisovets

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone struggles with boredom in their own way, someone watches TV, someone listens to music, someone plays several tables, I personally watch TV, I tried to play several tables, it does not work out until I have enough experience.