Entering unfamiliar tournament formats?

Pavel1203733

Pavel1203733

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to analyze such factors before starting the play. It happened with me much before and it was not good idea.

Luka22guro

Luka22guro

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is your reaction when you enter a tournament in a modality that you are not used to playing.
If I understood your question correctly, you are writing that how do I play a different tournament structure that I am not used to?
Before the start of the tournament, I look at what is special about it, let's say I like the longer structure of the tournament when the blinds grow slowly. And if it is a fast structure, I understand that here it will be necessary to open a worse hand and enter more often, since there is not much time.

GarotoMaroto

GarotoMaroto

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I try to understand my goals in the tourney,few days ago i played my first sit and go,and i understood that i wall kinda in the ''end'' of a regular turney because there was only around 28 players,i just did my best,and thanks God it was enough.
I won in 1st place,i overcame the number 1,received AK,shoved,he called,i won XD
Its was pretty awesome XD
God bless

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
When you start playing in a tournament, none of the conditions will come as a surprise to you. After all, you make the decision to register based on something)
If you are not satisfied with the structure of the tournament - do not register in it :)

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You can prepare all day long though it's not possible to make a plan for everything, life is too complex and wouldn't be worth it anyway. I prefer to go with the flow after general preparation and correct the course realtime. It's also more fun to learn from practice aka active learning, level black belt.
I'm used to various things, because of this, going out of the comfort zone doesn't bother me that much.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I'm used to all games but there's nothing worse than when you think you're playing hilo and you're nottttttt:eek:!

IRINA70

IRINA70

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Wonderful! This is a chance to try something new and gain some experience. Sometimes the new is the well-forgotten old.
I had the same experience with SCOOP this year.
I signed up for the HORSE satellite and won a ticket to the $11 tournament. I had to play it ..))
I got into the prize money, although I played this type of tournament a very long time ago, at the very beginning of my poker hobby.

A

allfarewells

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
When I satellite into a tourney I really have no interest in playing or I’m unsure how to play but some how get stuck playing it I quickly open google and scan through the rules and what all the hand values are and play 🤦‍♂️😂😂😂 it’s not the greatest of ideas but in truth I have done this on a few occasions and even made the money 😉😂😂

Much love
Danny
🙏❤️

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
my God!!!!
got me out of here!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I never play in tournaments that have an unfamiliar format or structure to me. But sometimes, when I win a ticket in a satellite, I am forced to play. In such cases, I closely monitor the game of my opponents and adjust my strategy and tactics to the game in such a way as to be as effective as possible.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
There's no reaction.

heguli82

heguli82

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Playing mainly texas holdem, and i think i have played every kind of tournament and every kind of stakes, when it comes to that game, holdem. Even so, it was cash games what i prefered, and where i made my profits som like 10+ year ago,

Friend of mine plays first time online poker, few times he said that he had played, register right away accidently to wrong tournament (Pot limit Omaha :) ) and won it. So do not lose your hope when it is poker what we are talking about, theres always possibility :)

Tournaments are just fun. Much funnier if you happend to win a couple.

Last edited:
TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont really like to mix formats in my session, it usually leads to me playing PLO8 like its PLO.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I'm not sure I like the sound of this at all. Sounds like stress and confusion.
I don't mind trying something new...but I want to know what I'm doing before I start. That might mean reading some articles, books, web pages, watching videos or streams.
But no way would I jump into it cold -- unless it was a freeroll (or reaalllly cheap entry).
What is the benefit of playing a game you are unfamiliar with? Is it just for fun? I find winning quite fun, and that takes some effort even when I think I know the game.
I guess it just depends on why you're playing card games in the first place.
I would have thought that you're trying to get good enough at poker to make a little side income...or at least win enough to pay for the poker itself. I mean, you're on Cards Chat because you want access to freeroll passwords initially. That may not be why you stay...but it is what brings most people in through the door.
Best of luck with it. I suspect there is more room to become a top player in a game other than no-limit hold 'em.
Cheers,
JT

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It is an exploration of a new area of the game. Especially when each site invents a new poker game to attract players and has new prices and bonus.

Svetluj

Svetluj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
read the information about the structure of the tournament before starting

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I don't play what I don't know first I study then watch after I decide to play I go in to play

B

benitwapasu

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is hard to play a new poker variant when you have other tables on the go esp things like stud or razz that require constant action

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I make sure I'm making the right adjustments during the tournament.

I remember playing a boost ante up MTT one night, where it became obvious the average person did not understand how to properly adjust to the format (players were folding way too often preflop). This quirk in the game allowed me to easily final table as only a handful of players where playing "properly."

J

jazux48

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I play in the same style of poker-holdem, I tried Omaha, I don't like it

P

PokerMaria

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
HU
Chips
What is your reaction when you enter a tournament in a modality that you are not used to playing.
it can happen with me because of several reasons. miss-click, tilt, poor tourney offer in given time or i really want to try. pretty much all cases i know, admit, more likely i won't reach money.

offeron

offeron

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's necessary to start sometime, but it shouldn't be a surprise🙂

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
It happened to me a few times that I had a wrong click and then I got into the wrong tournament and then I usually have a short OMG moment and then I just play as best I can. I like variety in the game and that's why I like to play other formats or something, but I like it when I did it on purpose lol. If I accidentally slide into a wrong tournament then that's not the end of the world either, but it wasn't intentional and therefore my OMG moment.

Zaner

Zaner

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
just player the basics, works to me.