Do you play the first hand of a tournament?

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I only play the first hand if I have good cards, and if it's AA, AK or KK I still play all-in. but most of the time no one has the courage to go all in.

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I don't understand, could you rephrase?
Sure buddy

With regard to do you play the first hand in a tourney?

You said "It depends solely and exclusively on the cards!"

This isn't true

It depends on where you are seated and how many are contesting the pot.

How about 99 or AKo on the button facing six all ins ...do you shove first round?

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I only play the first hand if I have good cards, and if it's AA, AK or KK I still play all-in. but most of the time no one has the courage to go all in.
Yeah right...first hand in any freeroll is like dropping a bag of chips on the sidewalk and being mugged by a flock of seagulls.

romerim

romerim

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me there are no rules or superstitions in the first hands of poker, I play like all other hands, it all depends on the cards and positions.

meagain00

meagain00

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
No problem to play the first hand. It depends on your cards and, specially, the field. On the Cardchat's Platinum games, I can play every hand I want, our community plays poker instead bingo, so we can go with no fear.

But, in a regular tournament, I reccomend a big portion of caution.

meagain00

TaNIAnT

TaNIAnT

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
There are a lot of guys just messing going all in on the first hand, so I usually muck, but when I have a good hand I`m just pushing all-in on luck if it`s not an important tournament.

R

Rmi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
All hands throughout the tournament must be played in the same way, respecting that each moment of the tournament is different from another in the same tournament, but always with criteria. In short, not because it is the first folding hand AA

J

James2023

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
I always like playing the first hand of a tournament.

You can't win every hand if you don't win the first one!

But I have a friend who is superstitious and mucks the first hand without looking at the cards.

He says that he can't bet enough to motivate folds from players during the very first hand. Everybody wants to play.

And sometimes he doesn't even play one hand until after the first break.

What do you think?

Does it bother you that there are so many limpers the first hand?

Do you adjust your game? How?
Dude your the same no way! thought that was just me. Between the first hand being to worst hand, and every second hand after a winning hand being a loser... no joke lost with pocket aces all in on the preflop to a 84 off suit today...the funny thing is I knew it was going to happen, I just had to verify I wasn't losing my mind.

thetaxman1

thetaxman1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play the first table like you play the Final table. That is my theory and I am sticking to it.

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to play the first hand, but I have noticed that if I go all-in, I usually lose. So I will call or play a raise :)

ledsmith

ledsmith

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Personally, I don't see any difference between the first hand and the subsequent ones. If I have a strong card, of course I will play.

V

valanddon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If I have a good hand I will play it anytime.

T

Tomiveres

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually I like to late register to a tournament , I don't know why but I don't have to much patience and when I see those small blinds I want to play every hand .
It's only me ?

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never thought about this. Is it some kind of superstition?

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands