Do you play the first hand of a tournament?

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Only ''playable'' hands in tournament start, and many factors, like vs who you is playing, the limit, many factors to consider..

offeron

offeron

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes in freerolls I go all-in with any pocket pair, especially if it's the first hand.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I always like playing the first hand of a tournament.
I always play the last hand:ROFLMAO:, because the others I can't, the villains always clean, or another 3bets and the last one goes all-in, how do you play that way, especially in CC frerolls.:ROFLMAO:

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

You can't win every hand if you don't win the first one!

But I have a friend who is superstitious and mucks the first hand without looking at the cards.

He says that he can't bet enough to motivate folds from players during the very first hand. Everybody wants to play.

And sometimes he doesn't even play one hand until after the first break.

What do you think?

Does it bother you that there are so many limpers the first hand?

Do you adjust your game? How?
that was shocking o_O you have a friend :ROFLMAO:
happy to hear my notes were correct, they say "tries to win every hand" :ROFLMAO:

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that was shocking o_O you have a friend :ROFLMAO:
happy to hear my notes were correct, they say "tries to win every hand" :ROFLMAO:
This post is a great Xmas gift!

Thanks Jay.

Or are you really Tammy with a hat and beard? :unsure::giggle::geek:

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
I play ALMOST always first hand of tournaments. Only if someone bet all-in or very huge and my pocket cards are bad, than I pass.

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is funny you ask that, coz many time it happends that I have a premium hand like AA or AK and call an all in and I lose all in te first hand lol

C

CHSV7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
UA
Chips

But I have a friend who is superstitious and mucks the first hand without looking at the cards.

He says that he can't bet enough to motivate folds from players during the very first hand. Everybody wants to play.

And sometimes he doesn't even play one hand until after the first break.

What do you think?

Does it bother you that there are so many limpers the first hand?

In my opinion, superstitions affect only those who believe in them. ;)
When a player thinks about a solution in each individual situation, there is no time to take into account superstitions, such things seem to me only distracting.

Jardel Barros

Jardel Barros

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always like to play the first hand of a tournament.

But I have a friend who is superstitious and loses his first hand without looking at the cards.

He says he can't bet enough to motivate players to drop out in the first leg. Everyone wants to play.

And sometimes he doesn't even play a hand until after the first break.

What do you think?

Does it bother you that there are so many limpers on the first hand?

It depends on the cards I'm going to have. At the beginning of the tournament I became more conservative, I don't insist on playing the first hand. No superstitions and more strategic planning to get to the end

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if the first hand and I have a good hand, I play, if it's bad, I fold, everything is very simple, without superstitions, because the guide if there are superstitions in the game of poker, this will not be logical as it arises, because if anyone is possible he deliberately loses the first hand of the tournament and was dealt A A, it would be strange if he did not play this hand due to superstition,

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe in this superstition of each one. I usually play if I find a good opportunity.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
only if the cards dictate!

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do I play the first hand of a tournament?!. Hm, if honestly, this is a few strange question... Yes, I can play the first hand of a tournament...
Why not?!. Especially, if this is a good hand: AA, or KK, and etc... That's all!

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
It depends. So funny 😆 you brought up ⬆️ this cause I was in a tournament 🏟 last night and in the first hand 🤚 I got pocket KK s in the co I just limped the sb fold and the bb moved all in first hand wow 🤩 anyway I called and lost 😡.and I would do it again.

Djon25

Djon25

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
On small blinds, you can collect a beautiful combination.

J

JCSmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play the first hand like any other. But there is certainly an argument to be made for being more active early in a tournament. The blinds are lower, allowing you more opportunities to play more speculative hands in the hopes of flopping big.

fadred719

fadred719

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BY
Chips
  • Until I saw this post, I didn't even think about such a question. for me, the first hand, as well as the subsequent ones, is an opportunity to take chips from other players. I'm not superstitious, but I try not to play in red things)))

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you lose the last hand in the tournament?:D

cracker

cracker

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I play the first hand just like any other hand unless it is a large freeroll then I play like everyone else, all-in pre-flop with any two good cards.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i would absolutely play the first hand of a tournament if i have a strong hand, because it wouldnt make any sense to fold a hand like aces or kings just because its the first hand of the tournament.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well some people also pray to god during each hand they're playing, others keep fingers crossed and so on... it's all good if it helps these people to get rid of their unwanted chips or money because of such "smart" decisions...

You want to win the first hand - that's fine, cause I want to win the last hand of the tournament.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
It depends on the hand, obviously. Letting superstition drive your game is not good.

miziel

miziel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some don't play the first hand ever, some just shove first hand every time. For every "strategy" there is a counter - but it has to be based on logic/math/tell, not on superstition 🧐

Pulse_69

Pulse_69

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Very often in the first hand players go all-in with a very weak card, why not take the player's stack

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands