Do you have time for satellites?

F

Fair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
from satellite to main event, average 6 or 7 hours. How often do you register in satellite tour. Is this worth?
If we think in different way, the time spend for satellite should be used to make money with job and go straight to main event like a boss

Swat1197

Swat1197

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play sat and take tour cash for it, than you can play any time

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on your skill set - some people are really good at satellites. If you are going to invest time and money in them you should first do some studying to learn how to play them.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
from satellite to main event, average 6 or 7 hours. How often do you register in satellite tour. Is this worth?

I pretty much register to whatever satellite whenever i have tickets to these games and/or just free money to burn lol ...
Guess everything is worth in the end - for example even here are (atleast) some dudes who for example in unibet started from tuesday 0.01€ cardchat centroll and ended up in 1100€ main event - still i am not sure how well they did in that main event though :dontknow:

Z

zeist2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I pretty much register to whatever satellite whenever i have tickets to these games and/or just free money to burn lol ...
Guess everything is worth in the end - for example even here are (atleast) some dudes who for example in unibet started from tuesday 0.01€ cardchat centroll and ended up in 1100€ main event - still i am not sure how well they did in that main event though :dontknow:

I made it from 0,01 ct to $50 ticket.....now preparing for last step to main event :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are also satellites, which reward tickets rather than entry to a particular tournament. This allow much more flexibility, because you can then play the satellite, when you have a few hours to spend but postpone the main tournament to a potentially more convenient time. I used to avoid satellites, but lately I have begun working a small amount of satellites into my MTT sessions. I see it as a way to take "shots" at higher buyins in a more gradual way and also to play more hands per hour in situations, where I only have 1-3 "normal" MTTs running. The latter point has become more important on 888 Poker after they redesigned their MTT schedule to have less tournaments but larger pricepools.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The CC partypoker $1 buy ins on sat and sun are essentially a satellite as the prizes are tourney tickets. These are great games, take around 4 hours, but the overlay is usually huge. You are getting great value for your time spent.

I now only try and play satellites that have tickets to win, as you can then enter the main event when you are ready.

Personally I'm not going to be entering a $22 tourney with my bankroll, so I will enter if I win a satellite.

If you are happy to work a bit more to pay for your poker games, there's nothing at all wrong with that. Its your personal choice what you do with your money, and how you do or don't employ any bankroll management.:)

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Satellites are a good chance to get your lucky ticket. You can earn it on your job. But will you be sorry for this money after losing? This is the main question. Therefore, many players choose a satellite. It's like the beginning of a journey before you climb a big mountain.

papapokera85

papapokera85

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
There is a lot of time if, why not! I often go to satellites. It is cheap)

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like satellites very much.

My best result was on PS were I got a $50 ticket for a $ 0,50 buy in.

But as soon we got started on the tournament i realized that I in deep water.

It was a 8 mix game and I was out of the game with a blink of an eye. :)

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If there is an opportunity and funds, it is better to enter the tournament directly.It's hard for me to get comfortable in the main tournament after the satellites,after turbo in normal format, the game is hard.Although I sometimes play satellites, if the main tournament is expensive for me

darthjewel

darthjewel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some of the games are called a satellite , but when a thousand of players compete for one ticket it is not very serious.
Otherwise, during a satellite you play against your final game opponents (well, some of them ) and you can check their skills.
If you are able win satellites and get the ticket to the main event then you could decide whether it is worth to skip them and pay straight the entry fee.

TerryBLE

TerryBLE

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Undoubtedly, the return/investment is usually generous, not to mention that many end up playing "more hands" for being a "satellite" (always welcome)

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Very interesting question , this is so much time consuming indeed. I have done it in the past but I know that it will potentially be a long session.
I prefer the satellites which give tournament money or tickets instead of the instant registration to the target tournament!

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally don't register in a lot of satellites unless it is for a grand huge prize. Other than that I feel it takes too long to complete.

N

natelearnspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we think in different way, the time spend for satellite should be used to make money with job and go straight to main event like a boss

I generally don't do satellites unless the odds are larger than 50%. For instance if there are 20 seats and 40 entrants, I'll do a satellite because I'm fairly confident I can beat most people. Otherwise, I focus on massive MTTs because that's a more steady source of winnings and bigger in size too.

B

bioman420

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not much of a satellite player, I prefer freerol and low buy-in tournament

J

jonnybegoode

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I won't play satellites unless it is for a tournament buy in that I am uncomfortable buying into (usually $100 and up, sometimes I will try to satellite into a $50 tournament). Since I have trouble taking smaller tournaments seriously at times, the same goes for satellites. It has to be worth your while, or I won't play my best game.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not everyone can afford to register for more expensive tournaments.And sometimes you just want to participate in this significant event.So people go into battle no matter what.And yes, as a rule, the time spent on the satellite can affect your fatigue.It all depends on you, on your preparation for the fight.There are great victories and defeats.This is a game-and you need to consider any options.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it takes time to warm up so to speak so for me participation in the satellite gives you the settings before the game in the tournament itself for me this option is suitable but how for you only you decide

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've asked ACR to reduce their satty duration. It grinds me that they are as long as a standard MTT 12 minute blinds 15 levels of late registration.

I get it - from the business side - they have to make it +EV for them - to recoup the cost of the tickets the top 5-6 players earn, but they are making that hand over fist, with the number of entries, and re-entries.
8 minute blinds 10 levels of late registration is a happy medium.

For me - I don't play any satellites - unless they are freerolls, solely because they are time consuming and I have full schedule during the days I can play tourneys all day. If they reduced the blind times and late registration levels, I would definitely play in them more often.

As it happens - I just recently won a ticket into one single tourney the Sunday 50k. Wish me luck with my one bullet! :)

cdntyler87

cdntyler87

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If I’m playing a satellite I prefer the stars version with 16 players not a fan of a satellite that seems to play as long as the tournament itself

Poker Tells