elchonga

elchonga

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Obviously all the tactics are part of the game which makes them valid and each one chooses their game.
If you are a good player you use everything you have at hand and if you know how to read the opponent, which for me is essential, you can use his game to your advantage.
Regards

A

Ac156519

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fair Play of course! Using the time out button during play is all within your rights, though players will get upset. I think this strategy should be used when you are considering a play before calling, when you are low in chips during the bubble and when you are at the final table maximizing pay jumps. Some people abuse this strategy and it may be looked at as dirty tactics but it is all fair play and within your rights.

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well, at one side you can do it and be fine with it, you are playing for the money
on the other side I`d rather to be a decent human and don't do it, but it up to you

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not against the rules to use your time bank. However, I hate with a passion...the people who use the disconnect trick to slow the game down beyond their given time bank. I quit playing at Bovada because of this.

LitPavel

LitPavel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have the time to do with as you will. I’ll sometimes use the timer if we’re close to the money and I’m short and just had the bb hoping to knock others out and get the blinds up. Other times I play fast hoping to see more hands if I got an average stack.
On the contrary, I try to play as many hands as possible in this situation. If the tournament is for a cash fee, the last places are almost always less than the fee, it is better to play more hands and try to take higher places than to play for the sake of getting at least some money. Therefore, I believe that slowing down time in this situation does not help much.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I was at the final table and at the same time I was multi tabling. I was in no rush to go anywhere. So instead of playing my hands normally I just slow roll every hand with all my timer.

By the time we went down to 3 player, 1 of them I know was in a rush to go. He had 30BB, vs me 40BB and a small stack 8BB, and he was just shove or fold, with a shove or reshove rate of 70%. Since he was in a rush and I was not I just milked the timer to the max each hand to slow the game down.

From my perspective I have no reason to speed up the game, I am already playing in 2 other tournaments.

As a winning player, we want to see as many hands as possible. Anything that slows down the number of hands we see should cut down on our profit as we stand to profit on every hand in the long run. Additionally it’s frustrating for other players, so it seems that it’s in everyone’s best interest to only take the time we need in order to act :)

94EXPOS

94EXPOS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1st of all, obviously the other player that was in a hurry to leave, told you that he was in a hurry. Therefore all you did was use the information that he gave you to your advantage and you did it legally. He was not very smart in telling you that he was in a hurry, so that is his fault. The timer is there to be used and you have the right to use it to its full extent or not as you wish. Even if you were not multi tabling, based on the information that this player gave you, you should have done exactly what you did, hoping that he left the table sooner rather than later and then you could take out the low stack and then just take him out easy as a "sitout". Of course if you were to get some premium hands like AA, KK or QQ it would be very tempting to call his All In. ;-)

After reading many of the replies, so many people do not seem to have read the posters original post. He is at the Final Table with only 2 other players! The short stack has 8 BBs and the person who is playing fast all ins has 30 BB to the poster's 40 BB. The poster was 100% correct in using the timer to his maximum benefit. Why give the Fast All Inner who needs to leave soon, a chance to double up and take 1st place???

Last edited:
gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a dirty game..

B

Brainy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When my opinion raises all the time to me, then i let the timer Go den sometimes.
I think he is often bluffing with nothing, ans when i use zur timebank he is a little Bit shocked ans is hoping that i dont Call or reraise.
Next Time he is thinking twice if he should raise against me.

Sorry for my Bad english.
I hope u unterstand what i mean

pothead2012

pothead2012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I was at the final table and at the same time I was multi tabling. I was in no rush to go anywhere. So instead of playing my hands normally I just slow roll every hand with all my timer.

By the time we went down to 3 player, 1 of them I know was in a rush to go. He had 30BB, vs me 40BB and a small stack 8BB, and he was just shove or fold, with a shove or reshove rate of 70%. Since he was in a rush and I was not I just milked the timer to the max each hand to slow the game down.

From my perspective I have no reason to speed up the game, I am already playing in 2 other tournaments.

Using the TimeBank and slowrolling are 2 different pair of shoes. Slowrolling means you have the nuts on the River your opponent bets into you and you wait and do some Hollywood acting as if you`re Hand may be bad and your opponent can think he`s holding the winner just to show him the stonecold Nuts that is a slowroll and i despise ppl who do that shit. Using the TimeBank online is totally fine the pokerroom gives you a certain amount of time for your actions why should you not use that time to think about what you are going to do or just take a breath that time is yours to do with as you please ;)

pothead2012

pothead2012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Using the TimeBank and slowrolling are 2 different pair of shoes. Slowrolling means you have the nuts on the River your opponent bets into you and you wait and do some Hollywood acting as if you`re Hand may be bad and your opponent can think he`s holding the winner just to show him the stonecold Nuts that is a slowroll and i despise ppl who do that shit. Using the TimeBank online is totally fine the pokerroom gives you a certain amount of time for your actions why should you not use that time to think about what you are going to do or just take a breath that time is yours to do with as you please ;)

That ofcourse doesn`t mean ppl wont get frustrated especially in Tournaments you are hurting yourself and everyone elses Stack by timing down every hand since the Blinds go up every few Minutes which will only be in your favour if you have a massive Chiplead. I often see ppl timing down their Hands in Hyper-Turbos which to be honest seems almost stupid to me you`re allready seeing far less Hands because of the crazy short Blind-Levels so why limit that number even more by waisting time

C

chs2051

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like playing hands at a fast pace during most of tournament , but don't see a problem using the clock when short stacked and close to bubble.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
maybe he should not play if he can't devote the time needed. Just saying, if i join a tournament i make sure i have the time to play.

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
poker tactics

poker is not meant to be fair game

its about being able to get your opponents chip and making it your own
when i play mtts i make sure when am deep i mark players for information
thus being able to put them on ranges and i take advantage of that. some players annot handle pressure thus they break. its all about strats:D

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most sites give you a time bank to use through out the tournament, and it's as much yours to use as the chips in front of you. If you feel that using time banks is a bad thing you probably shouldn't play live games as the amount of stalling at the bubble/pay jumps live is significantly worse than any stalling online.

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

In the game and love anything goes, never feel bad about taking advantage of this type of tactics, it is your time and you spend it as you like.:captain:

C

chinito2410

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whenever I can I prefer fair play, but if I am close to entering the bubble, a little time may be allowed to even charge the entrance to the tournament

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
texugly style, starve, there is such a tactic, yes, but against this tactic I can find a strategy, you do not write about what you are not in a hurry, but about how you can slowly use the nit style to get deep, I prefer a fast game, and if you can choose, I will always choose turbo

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I agree with most replies above saying that it's your right to use the available time as you would, but at a FT, with 3 players remaining, wasting time could (rightly) be considered against poker etiquette. Still your choice though.

P

PivoPoderji

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
what is fair play if you can won money "AIRWISBTS"

Split

Split

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why such confidence that the opponent was in a hurry?
but in general "all means are good in war"
what is not prohibited is permitted!

DaaBee

DaaBee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You have managed to spot a great opportunity, exploit when you can. Well played blix

AmidamaruRu

AmidamaruRu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You could just fold until the short stack hits, I see no point in wasting time