Complaining about freerolls

K

Kaljord

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well said! There was one thing you said that i was curious about. What is PT4? Maby a dumb question but i am no pro, just a Sunday gambler 😅

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well said! There was one thing you said that i was curious about. What is PT4? Maby a dumb question but i am no pro, just a Sunday gambler ��

Poker Tracker 4. No, I am not affiliated. I just know and use the program enough to recommend it to you all as well. Best thing you will ever buy for your online poker career

https://www.pokertracker.com/products/PT4/

Edit:: on a side note as well - Sundays are the best day of the week for the biggest GTDs for the smallest buy ins -- BUT since everyone is home, Sundays are typically pretty high variance as well. I dont miss many Sunday grinds -- but I dont win a ton of them either. Such is poker - if you're going to do this, be willing to accept the reality that comes with it!

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for all that, I will use your advice and hopefully improve. But I will still blame the rigged system for my losing because I am an awesome player just like Michael Keaton in Nightshift. Hahahaha
Seriously Thanks

S

StreetPhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bottom line, in my mind, most recreational players play the same way, whether freerolls or lower stakes (< $125 buy-in). If you always play like a machine you will eventually make money (but then you're not a "recreational" player anymore) because most players are not playing like machines all of the time. Most make mistakes, most get emotional, most get tired.
Just for fun I did this...usually only play Omaha for cash but seeing as how I commented on the subject of freerolls today...5 hours for $8.00...a win is a win lol.
f9ddd321ff73b834cf296dab90a3398b.png

S

StreetPhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker Tracker 4. No, I am not affiliated. I just know and use the program enough to recommend it to you all as well. Best thing you will ever buy for your online poker career

https://www.pokertracker.com/products/PT4/

Edit:: on a side note as well - Sundays are the best day of the week for the biggest GTDs for the smallest buy ins -- BUT since everyone is home, Sundays are typically pretty high variance as well. I dont miss many Sunday grinds -- but I dont win a ton of them either. Such is poker - if you're going to do this, be willing to accept the reality that comes with it!
Your cool comments today inspired me to play a freeroll. Usually I only play Omaha for cash.
Thanks Amigo.

f9ddd321ff73b834cf296dab90a3398b.png

K

kanycta99

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for the great advice. went to play collect freerolls on HUD

el_soma77

el_soma77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I'm not complaining about frerrolls, you get a lot of fish and bad bets, that's normal ...

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a skill game, study, work hard. i agree with you GL

voljare1234

voljare1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't complain about the free tournaments either, as I won 400 euros from scratch in December !!

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I agree with most of what has been said above, the only thing I don't accept is using HUDs, in free-rolls and micro stake games. If this is all you want to do fine! A solid understanding in the fundamentals of Poker should be sufficient.
I enjoy playing in the free-rolls on offer at pokerstars and yes I sometimes get busted out first hand holding Aces against any amount of hands, but I accept that variance in Poker means that although I might be going in with the best possible 2 cards, they might not be the best 2 on the river. Live with it!
I don't play free-rolls to make money, as someone said earlier busting yourself out for 4 hours to make $20 is not going to give you a living, I could do better clearing tables in MacDonalds or somewhere similar. I play for the fun and love of the game.
I also do not play live games with friends to make money, sure when we sit down at the felt I want to destroy them and take all their chips away but we keep the buy-ins low and keep it friendly, there is nothing worse than losing friends over a game of Poker.
I cannot sit around all day waiting for a free-roll to start (8.00 pm here in the UK), so during the day if I play I usually stick to single table SnG Knockout's. Again it is not intended to make money I just need to make enough to keep my bankroll growing and to move up in stakes as it grows.
Some days I win, some days I lose, that is what Poker variance is all about, I could play the exact same hands 2 days in a row and still come out with different results, because the one thing that I cannot control is my opponents, people play in different ways and what one person may fold to my raise one day, may get called by another the next day.
This player variance is what makes Poker so much fun and different from day to day.
I don't whinge when I lose a poker game, I don't blame the poker site claiming it is rigged, I do not smash my keyboard or throw my monitor across the room, that would be childish, If this happens to you I would suggest you take up fishing or some other less stressful pastime.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the subject of "freerolls", they are of course "tournaments" and there are so many flips in tournaments that the variance/effect of luck is astronomical. We've all seen them in the big money/professional tournaments too, so it's not just a freeroll/fish thing.

I enjoy playing Cardschat freerolls because the field is small. You won't find that in any other freeroll. I enjoy playing Cardschat League games for the same reason.

Lots of folks says they won't play cash games because they can't win at them. I love cash games. Unlike tournaments, there are very few flips. So if you're not a fan of all-in-mania, I'd suggest learning to play cash games at the appropriate stakes level. Also, when you're sitting at a cash table it's just you and five other players. It doesn't take long to get a feeling for how five people play.

There are no freeroll cash games, but Pokerstars has a lot of cash games in their play money area if you don't have a real money balance.

Last edited:
franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do very well at freerolls, and even though the payouts are not substantial, I save them up, and use the payouts to enter larger tourneys.

Sometimes, it pays of well, like the time I saved up $5.50, and entered a satellite at party poker with it. I ended up winning over $600.00, in the final.

I also like cash games, but you can spend a lot of time increasing your winnings, only to watch it go in one hand.

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls are fun and entertaining. Sure you can build up a bankroll but it will take discipline ,luck and dedication.
Cardchat is without a doubt the best forum who provide a lot of freerolls that one can enjoy. Instead of complaining one should be grateful :)

hubcio96

hubcio96

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People will always complain about the bad beats. Yesterday, out of 14 "coin flips" I lost all but one (I was ahead on 9 of them). I also lost 4 "All Ins" when I was well ahead, including one player shove with 72o, and me calling with AKs. Yes, I got tilted, and I left the game - today was not my day. As I was drinking wine and contemplating life choice (lol), I went in this morning and study my hands. It was a streak of bad luck. But last week I cashed and make a deep run in 4 tournaments, bringing $1600. I analyzed those hands and guess what - I got lucky in several spots that I would be out of the tournament if I didn't get VERY lucky. Overall luck is part of the game, and my job is to create the best chances for my luck. As long as people will blame someone (something) else for their situation, they will never be able to fix it.

W

WHAKAORIORI

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Been out in the wilderness for the last 2 weeks . No technology lol. Hopefully still able to enter the freerolls 🤞🏿

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great post Jon, with great advices. I really like to read all your posts here, specially hand reviews. Thank you for share your knowledge.

marianexbj

marianexbj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
totally agree, complaining about bad luck is useless, since strategy is more important. You have to study, put game volume and in the long run the variance will accommodate things for the one who is playing the best. You have to be self-critical, recognize mistakes and improve in order to polish your game.

Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

With a Balloon to the Moon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yesterday i was huge chipleader in the acr cc tournament. a guy with like 3 bb shoved into me blind vs blind. i called with q5 off agains his a10 and won. later that guy came into the rail thread and claimed that ACR is a scam and people only pressing random buttons. i played with this guy almost one hour and he was lets say not very good.

pretty ridiculous behaviour if you ask me. participating in freerolls, winning some free dollars as a mediocre player and still claiming its rigged. a lot of people here are not very thankfull to the sites and cardschat and its more easy for them to blame others than working on their game.

ATL2000

ATL2000

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're freaking out about losing in a freeroll, then a beat in a tournament with an actual buy-in is probably going to send you off the ledge.

Relax.

billibooo

billibooo

thudlife
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
<3 It is easier to blame a program than to blame your bad bet, call, raise etc.
The only problem I have ever had was a very rude person degrading women. It was horrible.
Either way, I would really hope that CC would never take it personally <3 the reasonable people are so grateful.
Thanks for all you do, from techs to mods to players. You are all part of my learning poker journey <3

L

lesson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Complaining about freerolls is at least strange. Relax and enjoy the game. learn from mistakes. You have not invested anything and will not lose at least

Freeroll Passwords