Bubble Nightmares!!!!

scottychase

scottychase

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Man I'm beginning to lose track of how many times I lose all my chips on the bubble and the sad thing is I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Someone with experience please share your knowledge!

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bubble is a thin thing. You have to throw everything away.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to scope out the tournament before you play it.

You should have a clue how many levels it will take to cash and much you need at certain levels to have a realistic chance of cashing and know if the bubble could last 30 mins when you get down to the last 5 or will it go fast.

You have to know tourn structure as well. You have to know when to fold that AQ or JJ or QQ when it could put you at risk of not cashing or when to shove with those hands because you need chips.

Who are you playing against? A bunch of aggressive donks who raise every hand with trash hands? Calling stations or rocks that if you shove will more than likely let you take the blinds. You also need to know their skill level. Are they donks, decent players or good players that usually play that tourn? Do you have notes on the regulars??

Again, there is a whole bunch of info you need to know before you even play.

scottychase

scottychase

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to scope out the tournament before you play it.

You should have a clue how many levels it will take to cash and much you need at certain levels to have a realistic chance of cashing and know if the bubble could last 30 mins when you get down to the last 5 or will it go fast.

You have to know tourn structure as well. You have to know when to fold that AQ or JJ or QQ when it could put you at risk of not cashing or when to shove with those hands because you need chips.

Who are you playing against? A bunch of aggressive donks who raise every hand with trash hands? Calling stations or rocks that if you shove will more than likely let you take the blinds. You also need to know their skill level. Are they donks, decent players or good players that usually play that tourn? Do you have notes on the regulars??

Again, there is a whole bunch of info you need to know before you even play.
I love your response but I'm a bit confused on the tournament structure. How do I know what tourney to choose by looking at the structure?

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it's not the FT bubble, and you have a nice stack then you can simply sit out and wait till bubble bursts. Quite simple.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i mean if you know you are pretty close to itm, it really doesn't hurt to run your time-bank a little bit right? and maybe don't play to many hands and go goose hunting for flops turns if the odds arent right, if that's what you do a lot tighten up a bit close to the bubble and you can play your game again when itm,

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Bubble is a thin thing. You have to throw everything away.

Well I noticed that you bubbled yesterday in the Cardschat $1,000 tournament on pokerstars.... so I decided to send you the $4.40

gl in the next one!

Attachments

• ScreenHunter 6983.jpg
    ScreenHunter 6983.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 28
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If it's not the FT bubble, and you have a nice stack then you can simply sit out and wait till bubble bursts. Quite simple.

This ^ is absolutely TERRIBLE tournament play strategy! IF you have a nice stack, you should absolutely be putting pressure on mid-sized stacks and also on the short stacks that appear to be desperately wanting to min. cash.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well I noticed that you bubbled yesterday in the Cardschat $1,000 tournament on Pokerstars.... so I decided to send you the $4.40

gl in the next one!

Hey, I had my A's cracked in todays BOL free roll, quite a shock to find out that all this "Poker is Rigged" talk is true. Any hoo, since your givin away buyins, how about payin my entry to the next CC free roll.
Knowin your the kind of guy who will do the right thing, I'm thankin you in advance. :)

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you are continually busting out on the bubble, may want to consider the fact that you are getting that far in the tournament without a sufficient chip stack. If you have the chips then the bubble is a great place to be to take advantage of the survivors versus the game winners.

darkvick

darkvick

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have the same thing, every bubble is complicated. I'll try to do what Roller say, may is this the problem

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I was in a situation for a week in which, having a lot of chips, I was left out near the bubble, it happened to me so often that I said I wouldn't play for a while (it was always the same tournament), I still haven't played the tournament, the truth is like that I know what mistakes I make and I say ok to correct and improve and I just make the mistake again and again, that's why I decided to stop for a while

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Man I'm beginning to lose track of how many times I lose all my chips on the bubble and the sad thing is I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Someone with experience please share your knowledge!
Chipleader The most enjoyable stack. There is nothing special to invent here, but you don’t need to throw everything off either. To begin with, we should pay attention to those who sit with a comfortable stack to advance to the ITM. We will make money on them. Since they have a sufficient number of chips, they will cover your styles very, very narrowly. As for short stacks, push ONLY when necessary. Let the middle stacks deal with them, and then we will just crush them.Medium stack The position is already worse, but still bearable. Here the game is as straightforward as it can be. Good hands shoved, bad hands folded. Against a big stack, we don’t cut ourselves, but we try to push into equal or short stacks.Well, first you need to pray that the middle stack will kill the chip leader, and you miraculously slipped into the ITM. In fact, this will be the most correct decision. If you see that the middle stack has begun to raise its paw on the chipak, then it is better to step back and give them an opportunity to cut down. As for pushing, it's better to push into other short or medium stacks.

scottychase

scottychase

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chipleader The most enjoyable stack. There is nothing special to invent here, but you don’t need to throw everything off either. To begin with, we should pay attention to those who sit with a comfortable stack to advance to the ITM. We will make money on them. Since they have a sufficient number of chips, they will cover your styles very, very narrowly. As for short stacks, push ONLY when necessary. Let the middle stacks deal with them, and then we will just crush them.Medium stack The position is already worse, but still bearable. Here the game is as straightforward as it can be. Good hands shoved, bad hands folded. Against a big stack, we don’t cut ourselves, but we try to push into equal or short stacks.Well, first you need to pray that the middle stack will kill the chip leader, and you miraculously slipped into the ITM. In fact, this will be the most correct decision. If you see that the middle stack has begun to raise its paw on the chipak, then it is better to step back and give them an opportunity to cut down. As for pushing, it's better to push into other short or medium stacks.
Makes much sense letting the mid stack handle the guys that are stacked!

J

jsiatime

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just leave your device, go to eat maybe to smoke, don't click anything. Always told to myself, i lost very very big number tournaments on bubble. Its bouble failure. Bad beat or bad decisions non important

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

This is what scared money players do who would rather min-cash than to put pressure on small stacks and make chips at a critical time of the tourney.

Dont follow this advice - it's bad.

Rost

Rost

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In order to avoid such unpleasant situations, I just wait very patiently for strong cards. The main thing in such situations is your patience, and lack of patience is the cause of most of our mistakes.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is what scared money players do who would rather min-cash than to put pressure on small stacks and make chips at a critical time of the tourney.

Dont follow this advice - it's bad.

So, he's afraid of the bubble, and that was a bad advice? Let's, maybe, think about it?
Please explain us - how can you put pressure on small stacks if you are a small stack or smallest stack at the table? How can you put pressure if you have a nice stack (3-5th in size) at 8 max table and all of the bigger stacks are a) aggressive and b) sitting behind you?

It's easy to put pressure and feel comfortable being CL at the table or second in chips sitting behind bigger stack. But if stack is nice enough and you can afford to lose 2-4BBs, and you feel stress during the bubble - why not just sit out for couple of rounds to 1) guarantee yourself return of investment 2) spend this time to meditate and get rid of the tilt, instead of putting or feeling the pressure? Obviously players who have such bubble worries are having a problem with tilt control, and by leaving the game for 10 minutes these players can easily solve this.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So, he's afraid of the bubble, and that was a bad advice? Let's, maybe, think about it?
Please explain us - how can you put pressure on small stacks if you are a small stack or smallest stack at the table? How can you put pressure if you have a nice stack (3-5th in size) at 8 max table and all of the bigger stacks are a) aggressive and b) sitting behind you?

It's easy to put pressure and feel comfortable being CL at the table or second in chips sitting behind bigger stack. But if stack is nice enough and you can afford to lose 2-4BBs, and you feel stress during the bubble - why not just sit out for couple of rounds to 1) guarantee yourself return of investment 2) spend this time to meditate and get rid of the tilt, instead of putting or feeling the pressure? Obviously players who have such bubble worries are having a problem with tilt control, and by leaving the game for 10 minutes these players can easily solve this.

Dont make assumptions regarding OPs chip stack. He never stated he was a short stack during this time. However if he is he can just as easily put pressure on medium stacks near him as he could if he was a large stack putting pressure on all. Sitting out is pretty terrible 'solution' to work through this mental issue. It's avoiding the situation rather than overcoming the issue he is having.

People who sit out are scared of busting before making min cash, as you reinforced in your response. It's better to embrace situation and overcome the issue - either bust or make a run. Min cashing means nothing to anyone. If it means something to some people - imo - they will possibly make ITM more often but rarely make final tables.

I stand by my words - sitting out is bad advice. Don't do it, regardless of stack sizes.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I don't think sitting out is very helpful because even if you're not playing, you still have to pay for all the blinds. Playing a little slower may have a little more effect, you don't have to let the whole clock run down, but just play a little more calmly and give yourself a few seconds before you act. It's very annoying when you don't make the bubble, but instead of getting angry about it you can say this time I almost made it, next time it might work.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always go all-in with premium hands There aren't many situations in Texas Hold'em where it makes sense to fold aces preflop. Bubble tournament play is one of them. Imagine a situation where you have a 3BB stack on the bubble, you are dealt aces, and a couple of players in front of you go all-in. “Call and triple!”, the reader will tell the obvious answer. The problem is that even tripling won't give you enough stacks to have a good chance of going deep into the tournament. But, at the same time, you run the risk of flying out right before the prizes. And the more players in the pot, the less likely you are to win the pot, even with the strongest starting hand.

pocketace222

pocketace222

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bubble

I'm pretty solid on the bubble, I try plan ahead so if it's let's say 40 away from the money and I'm short stacked I'm gonna play hard when I get the cards. If I lose I lose but if I can get a few folds and chip up then I'll drag the time down on every action and try cash. Once cash then aggressive again