mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I think that if you feel bored while playing 1 single tournament it is because you are not 100% focused on your game, you should try to focus a little more on your game and tournament, if you keep your mind busy and working on it, you may not feel bored and the fact that you play many tournaments at the same time will not prevent you from feeling bored, it will probably distract you a bit, but your concentration will not be at the maximum, you can try listening to music, but I do not think it is enough

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not usually bored if I'm playing poker :D

Part of it might be my patience, but I think the real reason is because I'm engaged in the game; there are so many things to do that I'm too busy to be bored! It isn't just playing my cards. Even in hands I fold preflop, I'm constantly watching the game. Who is bluffing? Who are the regs? Who is making fishy plays?

You can learn a ton by observing when you aren't in the hand. This is amplified if playing live poker because you can spot tells and such on that time too :cool:

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing to disperse boredom is a priori not correct.Do not exaggerate-you need to set goals for each tournament.If there is no goal as such, then the tournament will not be interesting.

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I don't get bored when poker sometimes there is too much going on around me and then I realize that it was a mistake to play at this point and then I easily make gross mistakes. But bored of poker? Poker is not everyone's cup of tea, but sometimes it's just because you're playing the wrong game. For one, mtt is very attractive, while someone else prefers to play sng or cash. One is crazy about holdem, the other is omaha or stud or whatever. You have to find out for yourself what suits you. No matter what you play, you always need a lot of patience. i often turn on music while i'm playing or leave the tv on in the background

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is not a bad advice to read, something and play one table, then you can constantly observe interesting situations at the table and not be too distracted from playing poker. Read news or articles on topics that are interesting to you. I think, you can find several sites where you study information, teach yourself to read them in parallel with playing poker. Playing 2 tables in parallel is not bad, but only if you can correctly evaluate the players and make notes for yourself. Watching movies,sports, programs or having a conversation is not the best idea, because poker will distract you and it's not easy to switch from playing to talking or watching. Reading is the most effective activity, because lose the meaning or forget, it is impossible, when you sometimes look at the table + time passes quickly ;)

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It takes total concentration to out play the other players at your table! How could you get bored? If your not a winning player being bored might be the problem!

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You have to have the drive and passion for the specific game you play. Maybe tournaments aren't your thing at this time, possibly start playing cash games and see if that keeps you interested in the game.

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You aren't alone here :) I have a tendency towards boredom tilt in tourneys if I haven't had a hand in awhile and don't have another table going. Concentrating on other players doesn't help much - they tend to be pretty stereotypical and thus there isn't much effort to 'figure them out'.

It might be worthwhile to open other tables from your tournament if it is near the money bubble or near the final table bubble, and during ITM. The field is narrow enough that your odds of playing them at the FT is much higher and play during bubbles offers critical clues about their knowledge and skill level that can help on the final table.

T

tladake

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
haha, funny, I am playing now and writing the comment. This is what I do when I am bored during tourney, but not too long. Mostly I am focused on game. Now is free tournament so I am not so stressed. Blessings!

G

Gameguyguru

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are bored the stakes might be too low or you don’t really care about the outcome because you are not that invested.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I understand you, because I like to do a lot of things at the same time, so, when I play only one tournament at time and if the players take a lot of time to respond it gets boring. That's the reason why I always play at least 2 tables at the same time.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Music

I listen to music or put a good movie on while I play poker.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Some people can play poker 24/7 but for the rest of us it could easily be a monotone activity. I don't play everyday / I can't play everyday but when I do I play many tables , I put volume and it's always fun for me.

Since you are not a professional poker player and you living doesn't depends on your poker profits make it the best time for you whenever you hit the online felts. Instead of killing your time because you have nothing better to do just don't do it. Play poker whenever you are in the mood for that. :)

This one works just fine for me!

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that if you feel bored while playing 1 single tournament it is because you are not 100% focused on your game, you should try to focus a little more on your game and tournament, if you keep your mind busy and working on it, you may not feel bored and the fact that you play many tournaments at the same time will not prevent you from feeling bored, it will probably distract you a bit, but your concentration will not be at the maximum, you can try listening to music, but I do not think it is enough
Exactly. I've been playing 1 tournament at a time for a while now! There's no feeling of being bored, I'm even more anxious now, so I may add on a table sometimes, Well said!

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
maybe you can play 2 or 3 tournaments at once. also you can just watch tv or listen to music while playing. if you are running deep in the game you should try to dont lose your focus in the game and concentrate almost exclusively in the tournament you are playing.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never. That's why I play poker because I'm bored of normal life and poker can give me more. So I give it my full attention. I know for a fact that if you worry about something else than poker while playing it you will not perform 100% to your abilities so you wont earn as much as you could and or you will lose.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have the same problem, it's boring to play at one table, but it doesn't work out to play at several tables.
I know that there is no need to be distracted while playing poker, but I am constantly distracted by social networks or watching non-poker videos on YouTube while playing.
When I leave the tournament, I think that I lost because I was distracted and did not follow the game, but I sit down for a new tournament and start to get distracted again.

S

Shab88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just because I focuse on the game, it is starting to be boring, because I have to wait up to 80% of time of the tournament while my opponents are playing their hands. And only in the end, the game is starting to be more dynamic

Part of it might be my patience, but I think the real reason is because I'm engaged in the game; there are so many things to do that I'm too busy to be bored! It isn't just playing my cards. Even in hands I fold preflop, I'm constantly watching the game. Who is bluffing? Who are the regs? Who is making fishy plays?

You can learn a ton by observing when you aren't in the hand. This is amplified if playing live poker because you can spot tells and such on that time too :cool:
I already do it, but thank you anyway

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Shab88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are bored the stakes might be too low or you don’t really care about the outcome because you are not that invested.
the most interesting thing, that i play at kinda big stakes but it still boring to play only one tournament. But recently i've found out, that all the tournaments in the beginning are easy to play, so I launch for about 4-5 ones, and usually i win in 1 of them and then concentrate at it.

sanekhorror

sanekhorror

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In such a situation, I turn on a movie or YouTube to somehow relax and not be nervous, so that time passes faster, especially with late registration, this is generally a problem, it often helps to go deeper into the front seats of the winners.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yes, I agree with this completely.

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Absolutely, it will cause me to be more impulsive as well. If I don't have 2-3 tables going I'll have Photoshop, Illustrator or something open to goof around on when cards are dead.

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I play 2-3 tournaments at a time and I just don't have time to be bored. If you are bored playing at one table, then try playing at two.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It might be worthwhile to open other tables from your tournament if it is near the money bubble or near the final table bubble, and during ITM. The field is narrow enough that your odds of playing them at the FT is much higher and play during bubbles offers critical clues about their knowledge and skill level that can help on the final table.

This is such a unique suggestion I had to comment on it. This is a great example of strategic thinking.

If I didn't run on average 6-8 tournaments consecutively I would definitely do this.

Its possible I might incorporate this during my evening sessions when my tables are winding down. :icon_thum