All in minus 1 chip.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a strategy I been using. And it looks like it could have helped a lot of players IN THE MONEY, going for a pay jump.

In a big field, 3000 players or so, lots of time a pay jump happen every 5-6 minutes. If you press all in and get called, you miss the opportunity to use your remaining time bank, milking the clock for the pay jump. If you go all in minus 1 chip, you get called you still can use your clock.

If you manage to out wait the other tables and get a free pay jump that is free money. On the low end that is free tournament fee, on the high end that is a 1/3 of a buy in.

For a lot of players that are right around the break even mark, this can push you into the green zone.

S

Scroooob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a strategy I been using. And it looks like it could have helped a lot of players IN THE MONEY, going for a pay jump.

In a big field, 3000 players or so, lots of time a pay jump happen every 5-6 minutes. If you press all in and get called, you miss the opportunity to use your remaining time bank, milking the clock for the pay jump. If you go all in minus 1 chip, you get called you still can use your clock.

If you manage to out wait the other tables and get a free pay jump that is free money. On the low end that is free tournament fee, on the high end that is a 1/3 of a buy in.

For a lot of players that are right around the break even mark, this can push you into the green zone.

You owe me royalty. I patented that move.
Jk. But playing freerolls like that are fun, it is a way to get rid of tilt. never tried it as a stalling strategy though

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips

I have occasionally seen players do that and without giving it much thought, wondered why they kept $1 back. Now I know.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh make sure to only do this if you have confidence in your internet connect.

Once I got disconnected, between waiting and my 1 chip.

Made of a really happy villain when you fold your full stack for 1 chip.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is such a stupid strategy.

But hey, if you want to play MTTs for hours just to turn it into basically a freeroll roll with a min-cash for the buy-in, which is basically you just wasting 3+ hours with nothing to show for it. Or if you're happy making minimal profits with such a stupid strategy, more power to you. Keep running that clock down with 1 BB and being satisfied with a 33% buy-in profit.

What's that, a solid .36 profit in a $1.10 MTT and in just 2-3 hours of work, too? Not too shabby. /s

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is such a stupid strategy.

But hey, if you want to play MTTs for hours just to turn it into basically a freeroll roll with a min-cash for the buy-in, which is basically you just wasting 3+ hours with nothing to show for it. Or if you're happy making minimal profits with such a stupid strategy, more power to you. Keep running that clock down with 1 BB and being satisfied with a 33% buy-in profit.

What's that, a solid .36 profit in a $1.10 MTT and in just 2-3 hours of work, too? Not too shabby. /s

If you want to shove it in ASAP go for it. The guys on the other tables and I thank you. It cost me nothing to wait 2 minute in a hand that I am all in already. And I don't mind that free money.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This will work very rarely. I’ve already seen such allin on our freerolls. But here the player used it just for fun.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you want to shove it in ASAP go for it. The guys on the other tables and I thank you. It cost me nothing to wait 2 minute in a hand that I am all in already. And I don't mind that free money.
Who said anything about going all in asap? I'm saying your strategy to hold onto 1 chip and run the clock is stupid.

Last edited:
Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

this is a very useful and profitable tactic.

I agree with this 100% and think it's very nice of you to share with the CC community.

You just helped anyone who reads this to boost their win rate. Great job!!

F

fortescue1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good idea

That's pretty cool idea 👍 I haven't never think about it like that. I might try this today if I get to the bubble 🤗

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I saw on streams using this strategy, but as for me there is no benefit from it, argue with me

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is a very useful and profitable tactic.

I agree with this 100% and think it's very nice of you to share with the CC community.

You just helped anyone who reads this to boost their win rate. Great job!!
Welp, if a poker expert agrees with you, then I must be in the wrong. I still do not understand how this is a good strategy but if Evan Jarvis says it is, then what do I know?

And, because I am in the wrong, I apologize to you Blix177.

Maybe I should stick to achieving subpar MTT results and just STFU.

Last edited:
O

Oxinthewater

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Great idea, thank you for sharing.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think you can patent this move it has been around for long time.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Especially if you are doing it for the ladder up, it's hand for hand in that situation.

:top:

This won’t work in hand to hand. But all spots that isn’t 1-10 and entering in the money, with a pay jump it works.

Say you are on spot 183 you go all in minus 1 chip. If 3 people bust out in the next minute you get to move up to 171-180 pay rather than 181-199 pay spot.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It makes sense if you have less than 10bb and will literally be the bubble if you get out on that specific hand. If you are already in the money, ditch this strategy. Your goal is to win, a small pay jump should not matter much to you. Sure, you get to move up in the money, but it is not worth it since you are essentially giving up on 1st place.
A player cashing 20% of tournaments but never making the top 3 will have a smaller win rate than a player who cashes 8% of the time and makes the final 3 many of those times.

kacca

kacca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I would be happy to understand this and use my transliteration in Google, so I don’t understand half, and if half is not clear, then why not understand the other. Sorry

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I saw someone do it today for the first time, it didn't them, they still bubbled.

:top:

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It makes sense if you have less than 10bb and will literally be the bubble if you get out on that specific hand. If you are already in the money, ditch this strategy. Your goal is to win, a small pay jump should not matter much to you. Sure, you get to move up in the money, but it is not worth it since you are essentially giving up on 1st place.
A player cashing 20% of tournaments but never making the top 3 will have a smaller win rate than a player who cashes 8% of the time and makes the final 3 many of those times.

Don’t think you actually understand how this work.

1st it wouldn’t work on the bubble since it is hand to hand. Stalling on the bubble doesn’t work.

2nd. On pay jump after the bubble. If you are already committed to all in. You will be all in regardless of is it for 999999 chips or 999998 chips. This isn’t telling you to fold. It just buys you time to use your remaining time to give yourself an opportunity for a pay jump.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don’t think you actually understand how this work.

1st it wouldn’t work on the bubble since it is hand to hand. Stalling on the bubble doesn’t work.

2nd. On pay jump after the bubble. If you are already committed to all in. You will be all in regardless of is it for 999999 chips or 999998 chips. This isn’t telling you to fold. It just buys you time to use your remaining time to give yourself an opportunity for a pay jump.
Hmmm, if there was only a way to last longer in an MTT without leaving myself with only 1 chip because I am so concerned with small pay jumps. But gosh, I guess there isn't. I guess the only way for me to try and move up the pay ladder as a short stack is to commit 99.9% of my stack and then fold. Those pay ladders sure are nice, though. But with antes, I guess I'm all-in the next hand. I better run out the clock on this hand and the next because I don't have any other options. Yup, this is the best strategy I can think of to try and move up the pay ladder for those extra coins that'll pad the BR nicely. Wow, a pay jump to .09 more? I'm sure glad I gave up 99.9% my stack to achieve that BR boost!

I'm taking back my apology as this is still a stupid strategy. If your concern is small pay jumps, you literally do not need commit 99.9% of your stack to get there.

But hey, what do I know right? If this works for you and you're happy holding onto that 1 chip, hoping for a mini pay jump, keep doing it. I'm sure your min-cash results are way better than mine will ever be.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Blix177 watching for a pay jump while running the clock with their 1 chip after committing 99.9% of their stack and folding.

Attachments

• dw-arthur-memes.jpg
    dw-arthur-memes.jpg
    580.6 KB · Views: 39

5KINGLEO5

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good strategy. Often I use it a couple of times, it turned out to sit out the players and get the money.