All-in with AK in the first hand

malakata19

malakata19

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is difficult to throw AK in a free tournament but it depends on how fast the tournament is, if apart from being free it is fast I would pay with that hand but if the tournament is slow I would throw my cards and expect a better situation to play them or to get better cards, although it is very usual to see all in in the free tournaments with cards like AT, AJ, AQ, AK or any card combined with an ace.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Freeroll and micro buyin yes it is a call. Hyper Turbo structure yes turbo structure maybe, I sometimes do I quick player MTT lookup sometimes if they inexperience yes go if they playing for a while I fold.

In any decent slow blind structure this is a snap fold no need to risk it all early in what the best you would hope for is a race.

E

edcwy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a fold for me. First hand in a tourney? I'm tossing and saying what ever. There'll be better moments.

Edvardas

Edvardas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends what buy-in tournament. If low price tournaments I would choose call, however most of the time it can be small pockets from 22 to QQ or smaller Ace like AJ AQ. So, if that doesn't cost big for your bankroll I would call it.

Y

Yura Nabok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think ak is a very good hand but the risk you took is not worth! you maybe win the hand but it was only for 2x starting stack! most of the times you will find AA-KK there! so easy fold for me!

L

LifeLab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all your posts. I stopped doing the in with unpaired cards. AK suited is a great combo but I see how it is dangerous going all all in in the beginning. Once I can increase my stack size and have more chips that my opponent(s) I might do it.

BriceNice

BriceNice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a time and a place for an all in call with AK. Late stages of the tourney when average stack is 15 BB's or less then its almost always a call, very first hand or the tourney, not so much. Especially if as you say, you dont rebuy.

R

Robertos87

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Was it an open shove or was it raised before him? If it was an open shove that's just such a weird play and just sounds like a gambler.

C

Comix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think any hand on the first play going all in is risky......even AA....yes you could win, but you can still lose. You need to make decisions to help you build a stack and stay in the tournament....the key word is "and". A flip for all your chips in a tournament on the first play is asking to be knocked out right away. High risk high reward.

R

Robertos87

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously though AA preflop if you can get them all on before the flop that's exactly what you want though. No one on here would be folding AA preflop first hand in a tournament. That's insane.

A

alexandro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ill tell you... you have to go with your gut first thing and if you don't want to do a suicide you have to put it down. i was second in chips in a tournament after the break chip leader push all in with KK i have AQ flop 95K then AA he made a full house i was taken out. The worst is i lost 2800 after i was taken out thats the worst 21/bacarrat. its awfull... think about 21/bacarrat when you want to go all in its a flip.........

J

joshua360

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all in

I do it in freerolls but I am always prepared to loose. My thoughts are, never go all in pre-flop unless you are good with going out. Even With AA or KK, you may get called and loose. All in preflop is always a risky move but very profitable at times. Go with your gut is how I play it.

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do it in freerolls but I am always prepared to loose. My thoughts are, never go all in pre-flop unless you are good with going out. Even With AA or KK, you may get called and loose. All in preflop is always a risky move but very profitable at times. Go with your gut is how I play it.

I agree that in freerolls you can go all-in with this hand.

M

Marmot66

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I go all-in in the first hand ,depending how many players are after you ,if its only 2-3 remaining in the pot go for it , but if you are the first to decide and the blinds are small just go in the pot with 2BBlinds and if another guy goes all-in its OK to CALL , with 2-3 guys all-in FOLD , also keep in mind what is the tournament speed turbo or hyper-turbo .

M

Marmot66

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i hate hyper-turbo tournaments ... you depend to much on the cards , most of the players play aggressive

G

GIB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not a good idea to go all-in with this card. Any pair has a chance to win, a small one, of course, comparable to a coin flip. So it can be done if you are a very lucky player

L

LifeLab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Risking it all on the first hand

I hate the idea of risking all of my chips in the first hand of a MTT with "all in" even with KK.

Do any of you have a policy of not doing anything for the first few hands? I'm really starting to think this may be best way of starting. Let the people who are playing poker like a 'slot machine' work themselves out first.

Your thoughts?

Gabinho12345

Gabinho12345

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This isn't the best way of starting. You have to play first hand of MTT like you would play any other hand.

wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
I hate the idea of risking all of my chips in the first hand of a MTT with "all in" even with KK.

Do any of you have a policy of not doing anything for the first few hands? I'm really starting to think this may be best way of starting. Let the people who are playing poker like a 'slot machine' work themselves out first.

Your thoughts?
In freerolls, Yes . To ZOOM or Hyper Yes . In other tournaments there . 3 Beth will be enough .

AjsmenX

AjsmenX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is not good idea at all..Don't fall in love with ur hand..If you don't wan't to risk to be kicked out of the tournament then fold any hand except AA and wait for better spot and situation to go all in

S

sekcapilniqt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can not shoved why this would probably win only one freeroll tournament will go without care

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

You are right, there are many players playing strange, full stack, at the very beginning to double. :confused:
If you have KK - you should look at your position.
You just have to avoid putting up from an early position - you risk getting calls from several players at once, and your cowboys will suck. But if you are sitting in a late position, then kings are a good card so that you are paid. Of course, there is always a risk, but getting a double stack in the beginning is a good start in the game. ;)

M

McDrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls that is very common ppl going all in on the first hand with very loose ranges. If you have a good starting hand (premium I mean) could a good opportunity to double, triple or even quadruple your stack, but then again you could be out of the Turney in just a single hand, so it's a matter of choice.

V

Vonick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
why not ?you could wait a whole toyrney without having either kk or aces or even a strong couple.so yes i would call all in even if it was my first hand.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands