All-in with AK in the first hand

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have mucked many strong hands like that early in a tournament no matter if it is a freeroll or with a buy in,even AA.
lol. Don't fold AA first hand, ever.

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a serious tourney like Freezeout w/ buy in more than 5 you are forced to fold. It is a weird play but ppl do it with AA KK really early because players won't believe they have it.

E

edcwy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad idea. Your tournament life on a flip? On the first hand? Just not worth it. So how about this question. wsop main event. First hand. Do you call the all in with AK? How about AA? KK?

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You really need AA to call the first hand of a normal format mtt, but if it is a freeroll or something like a $1 9man turbo with players that you know will get it in with AJo then I think its ok.

The more skill advantage you think you have on the field the worse AK allin becomes.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the early stages of the tournament in freerolls you can safely call all-in with pocket AK. You did the right thing. If the bank includes more than 3 people - then the probability of winning with such cards is reduced.

A

Allmine79

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll it's boom or bust early. Cash or long tournament you always want to make a hand prior to pushing preferably 2 pair or better.

1putnik

1putnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's all depends what kind of tournament you've been played and who were your opponents. In early position pushing AK you can easily to get under AA or KK.

W

winslowlee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
open jamming and/or calling that move is pretty dumb in this story line for either player... what are you defending really with your high card equity on the FIRST HAND of any tournament??

M

marakhovskii

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the first hand of a tournament the player before me went all in and I called. They had AJ and I had AK suited. As I later thought about it, maybe it was a bad decision. The person could have had AA, KK or any pair. I'm was wondering what others would have done in the same situation.

I doubled up but I'm not sure if this is something that I should have done. I never re-buy into a tournament so it as a do or die situation.

Anyone have any comments or advice?

I think that everything pre-flop is a risk and with what cards you do not answer it is not important.

FeRRi0

FeRRi0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For my opinion, all-in as AK vs AJ is always good turn, so this time you did absolutely right, but ofc you dont know your opponents hand, so at buy-in tournament, 50/50 to call/fold, at free roll - low price buy-in 80/20 call/fold (depends on position)

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK in the first hand of buy in tournament, with all in you put at risk your tournament future and paid buy in,
AK is considered as a monster hand but it must be developed but there is possibility to lose with AA too

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If the person enjoys having strong emotions, a flip with that hand is understandable.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends if its a freezeout or a Rebuy IMO if a freezeout def not! But that's me. If a rebuy or freeroll people will push with crap so it depends on the player, Grant it unless you know the player. Personally I will only call with AK in freeroll or rebuy otherwise I assume the player has aces until I have more info on them. Just my opinion.

I am also losing a lot of preflop premium hands to rags lately so I am a bit jaded lol

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I had AK I would call that all-in providing that the blinds go up fast and its against one player.

There is just times where luck plays a part and you have to hope your opponents does not a better hand than you.

If the blinds were slower in time I might think about that decision.

JOKE on YOU

JOKE on YOU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think depends on the situations know the players around you home will call you with 46o and win sometimes everyone folds and you won't get anything and a good hand goes to waist, I'm still new but make sense
(Be like water my friends)

S

sekcapilniqt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do not hurry to enter does not fall from the tournament before you started

M

Marmot66

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK good for ALL-IN not always but most of the times he will win..

Y

Yura Nabok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a very strong hand. I do not agree that it is overvalued. You should to be afraid of only two hands AA/KK.

Jim Brown

Jim Brown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your opponent is shoving as wide as AJ then AK is a trivial call. So first hand of a tournament you probably don't have reads. This would be where buyin level might help with guessing a range, but in general AK is a really easy call if you even have to ask the question.

Aalexandar

Aalexandar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm guessing this was a freeroll from reading through the thread. Freerolls are weird like that, where you really should try to get a big chip lead early on so you're in a position to wait out the crazy players who could be shoving with terrible hands only to luck out in the end.

In a buy in tourney it's much different, you know you can expect your opponent not to do those things, so facing a shove from an opponent who knows what he's doing, and you know he knows what he's doing, you really should be expecting his hand to be KK/AA/QQ, basically a monster. And in buy in MTTs you really should focus on increasing your stack through building the pot gradually on each street, rather than getting it in PF and hoping you luck out. Because if you take the flop/turn/river out of poker it really stops being a sport and falls back down into plain old gambling, which is not something you should be doing often.

A

AndersD

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In the first hand of a tournament the player before me went all in and I called. They had AJ and I had AK suited. As I later thought about it, maybe it was a bad decision. The person could have had AA, KK or any pair. I'm was wondering what others would have done in the same situation.

I doubled up but I'm not sure if this is something that I should have done. I never re-buy into a tournament so it as a do or die situation.

Anyone have any comments or advice?

First of all, as i se it if he open push all in, he really cant have AA KK it just dont make any sense! so id say ur AK is either dominating a worse Ace or your up agains at flip VS some mid pair, so unless its a big game i say easiest CALL ever.. if you somehow beat or get outdrawn just register a new game! :)

crimsonblur

crimsonblur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most likely callers will be a lower pair so I would be ready for a flip. I don't think it was that bad of a play but there are times where you will get called and be dominated. I would probably wait to see the cards and then you will likely trap hands like AQ, AJ, A10.

J

jokr23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes it is risky being your first hand but it is still a strong non-paired hand. But it depends on different factors like some others mentioned.

I agree with others who say it depends on other factors such as your position and chip size relative to his/her chip stack if it was a good idea. Maybe if you consult with a chart as a reference for pre-flop hand for the respectful early phase/tournament style (MTT or SNG) to make your own decision if you made a good choice or not maybe best in my opinion (and what I might personally do if uncertain).

With regards to whether or not it is free play I don't think makes a difference as it has no impact on the cards you will recive, the pace of blind increase or any other factor except that some players may be playing more loosely. However may be more aggressive in a turbo setting as the blinds go up quicker and maybe tighter in regular where it. So somthing I may keep in mind also when making that choice with this hand or other types of hands.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands