All-in with AA, KK, QQ when not to?

lalinha

lalinha

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
It is very frustrating to lose an all-in with hands like AA, KK, QQ. But is it really just bad luck? Or a wrong move?

For example, I went to the final table in a sat, and I had only 3, and it was only 2 tickets, the chipleader pushed all-in and I had QQ and I folded a lot against my will, but I still had a lot of chips, nothing desperate , then calmly opening the flop, seeing the best options, I won the ticket, and I didn't regret folding the All-in.

What do you think about it? Have you folded these hands yet? and what to take into account to fold? or maybe not even going all-in to begin with?

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are times especially in a satty where you want to fold AA. Lets say the satty pays the top 5 players each a $10 tourney entry, and there are 6 players left, and you are in 2nd place, with 2 very short stacks at the table, there is no reason to risk your tourney life with AA when you can just coast to the money. In this situation you have the most to lose, the chip leader has you covered and you do not get paid any more for 1st than you do for 5th.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you had a lot more chips than him then i would have called with QQ

but in general folding there is not bad since you are on the bubble

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In poker, patience is a virtue...
Sometimes it's better to give up a winning hand so you don't risk being left with nothing.

Depends on chip leader status too!
On the other side, if you face a very passive table it will always pay off to be aggressive.
Aggression will always be a success factor, but sometimes we need to stay soft! haha

It wasn't once or twice or three times that I was about to win the tickets with a lot of chips, and suddenly I was struggling to get to the rank that was previously guaranteed just by doing nothing. (hands like -> AA, KK, AKs...).

I got tickets yesterday, and today one with 550 participants with LOTS of patience!
...and swallowed a lot of frogs, which I managed!
So, assess the situation, it's not always worth going to showdown, even with better hands.

If the goals are tickets, come last but get them.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
For example, I went to the final table in a sat, and I had only 3, and it was only 2 tickets, the chipleader pushed all-in and I had QQ and I folded a lot against my will, but I still had a lot of chips, nothing desperate , then calmly opening the flop, seeing the best options, I won the ticket, and I didn't regret folding the All-in.
I think that in this specific case, you folded well for ICM, so much so that you got the ticket.
But in other situations, you should make an assessment of how the villains are playing.
Today in a CC freeroll, I folded a QQ, I opened a normal 2.2bb reraise and got called by three villains, and on the flop one of the cards that came was an A, one of the villains already donkeybetted and another called, when the action got to me and I folded because I knew my pair of QQ was no good, and really at Showdown, one villain showed A9 and the other A5.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is very frustrating to lose an all-in with hands like AA, KK, QQ. But is it really just bad luck? Or a wrong move?

What do you think about it? Have you folded these hands yet? and what to take into account to fold? or maybe not even going all-in to begin with?
Premium hands in the satellite fold easily if you have a passing stack, especially on the bubble, they should only be played if you need to double up and without it there is no way to get into the prize zone

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Recently, I have taken the stance to fold AK, TT-KK to villain's shove pre-flop, anytime I am not short-stacked and cannot afford to bust out. If I can see a flop and pair or catch a very strong draw, then I play them accordingly. There are enough scars in my mind to last a lifetime because of the bust-outs after shoving those big pairs. The worst is first to be busted out holding AA in a big tourney that I wanted to go play well!

We are at the mercy of the community and our hole cards are just a start and nothing else - they can be reduced to nothing on any given hand. Information is power and the more you have, the better your chances. :) .

Congrats on your restraint - it is not easy to click fold with a huge starting facing a shove pre-flop.

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It all depends on the situation, but in my opinion, with such strong cards, it is necessary to play aggressively.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A satellite bubble is a very special thing, but its impossible to determine the correct line of action without knowing the stack sizes of all players. Depending on that QQ as the mid-stack can be an open shove, a raise-call or a raise-fold. As a general comment though, if you can only call a rejam with KK+, you are probably better off playing push-fold to take the play away from the chip leader.

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
QQ is risky. I would go all-in when I am desperate, otherwise not. I think to have a pair on the hand is tempting, but AK (even non-suited) would have better odds than QQ.

afecho

afecho

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Preflop I’d be calling that all-in every time with those high pairs. Post flop with your QQ example I would likely end up folding if there was an A or K on the table. It’s so hard to walk away from those cards sometimes though!!

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think you should always go all-in with these cards

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For pocket AA and KK, I think there are cases for resetting and there are very few of them. This is the closeness of getting a ticket, or when several players went all-in in front of you in an important tournament. With a couple of QQs, I go a lot less frequently. It all depends where I play.

darkvick

darkvick

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello dear, I guess in these situations (all in pre flop at bubble) you may fold until AA, mainly if it is a satellite. You must to prioritize the actions of the opponents instead of the cards only.

Good luck!!

C

Cyclguy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
US
Chips
First tourney ever played I get AA and raise, we keep raising each other until both all in. He had KK the board comes out with 4 diamonds, he has a diamond I do not so I lose, first hand. Any hand can lose at any time, but statistically it is best to play those hands when you get them, they are rare.

HungarianBoy

HungarianBoy

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
HU
Chips
In a big money poker tournament, I don't recommend pushing all your chips in with these hands at all, especially if you're on the bubble, but it depends on a lot of things. such as what position you are in. how they will act behind you. But if you have a large enough amount of chips. and no one raised him. then feel free to put all your chips in the middle.me KK QQ. I always look at the first 3 cards. I will check it and at most only after that if A is not listed. Then I raise all my chips.

Jantorres888

Jantorres888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
It is very frustrating to lose all-in with hands like AA, KK, QQ. But is it really just bad luck? Or is it the wrong move?

For example, I went to the final table in the sata and I had only 3 and had only 2 tickets, the chipleader went all-in and I had QQ and I dropped a lot against my will, but I still had a lot of chips, nothing desperate, then quietly opening the flop, seeing the best options, I won a ticket, and I didn't regret dropping all-in.

What do you think about this? Have you thrown off these hands yet? and what to consider to throw off? Or maybe not even go all-in from the start?
If you did win a ticket, then you did the right thing. And if we lost with QQ, we would have to work on the mistakes) This is poker)))

Jantorres888

Jantorres888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Hi darling, I think in situations like this (all preflop and bubble) you can fold to AA, mostly if it's a satellite. You must prioritize the actions of your opponents, not just cards.

Good luck!!
I think it's a way to do it. Not always, because the blinds at the final tables are very big and you can't wait for the prize money.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

In Tournaments, ranges change a lot due to ICM. So there are times when you fold premium hands like AA - QQ

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's poker and variance. you can't guarantee winning the hand with a top pair preflop

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a satty where u know u have a chip advantage against the last player before the ticket it's ok to fold to the chipleader in an MTT it's a must call

rucucu16

rucucu16

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think it depends on the situation you find yourself in. In my opinion, due to the situation you were in, it was a good decision.

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
knowing when to fold a hand is a virtue of good players, you made the best decision when you needed to.