AA at the start of an expensive tournament, someone goes all-win what do you do?call

C

canabero

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you can't fold AA at the beginning (preflop) EVEN MORE if is a expensive tournament take in mind that high stakes are normally tight games, if you miss an opportunity like that, it will be hard to have another easy chance to take a good amount of chips, if you lose? you can lose even when you are above 80% shoving ar flop. soon or later you'll have to risk the trick is to do it when the probabilities are clearly in your favor.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Y fold,and you?
In the early stages of a tournament, you usually have a stack of several hundred big blinds. And that's why the odds of getting all-in pre-flop are very low, and you shouldn't be risking such a huge stack even with a premium hand. Let's imagine for example: the blinds are 5/10, you have 5 thousand chips - that is, 500 big blinds. You have KK or AA and raise 30 - 3BB. Even an opponent's reraise will only be about 2% of your stack. If you 4bet you will most likely get called or folded and the pot still won't be too big compared to the stack. Preflop play here will only matter if there are short stacks at the table.and if a push flies at you, this is a 100% call in any situation, this is an ideal chance to double up, more likely than your opponent

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't imagine a cenario where i'd fold AA in the begginig of a tournament, unless it had already, like, 5 people in the hands.
I won't take this cenario above for my response because it's is so unprobable.
So, the only contexts where I see myself considering to fold aces is in the bubble of some sattelite, mainly if I know it's problably that I'll find a multiway pot.

MrrrRock

MrrrRock

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I fold and wait for better spots
lol

MrrrRock

MrrrRock

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In the early stages of a tournament, you usually have a stack of several hundred big blinds. And that's why the odds of getting all-in pre-flop are very low, and you shouldn't be risking such a huge stack even with a premium hand. Let's imagine for example: the blinds are 5/10, you have 5 thousand chips - that is, 500 big blinds. You have KK or AA and raise 30 - 3BB. Even an opponent's reraise will only be about 2% of your stack. If you 4bet you will most likely get called or folded and the pot still won't be too big compared to the stack. Preflop play here will only matter if there are short stacks at the table.and if a push flies at you, this is a 100% call in any situation, this is an ideal chance to double up, more likely than your opponent

so you are saying: its more ''safe'' to take his 300 chips(or go to flop) instead of all 5k?

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you don't call a shove with AA in the beginning of MTT when will you? At the bubble? No matter the outcome it's the right play in my opinion. If you fold there you won't have the right mind set to win an MTT.

darkvick

darkvick

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Of course I'll call, would you fold only by the expensive buy in?

so if was a tournament with a lower buy in will you call??

in this case you're not playing your A-game

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in my opinion about AA

In poker math it says you have a chance of winning this hand with pocket AA is 75% up to 90% so I think you should play this hand, it would be a necessary risk to take if you want to be profitable in poker in the long run.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it's only me and the other player, I call for sure. I'm still the favorite in the hand and you need to take risks if you want to win the tournament.

G

GIB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I have AA, I don't play as aggressively, but it all depends on what my opponent does. Of course there is a risk, but it is justified, especially in a knockout tournament. You have 85% to win against 1 player.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends, expensive might mean something else to you than to someone else. The thing that matters the most is the quality of the players at the level you're playing at.

A $200 entry live is a low buyin that will have people calling you for their tourn life like an online freeroll (I kid you not) but $200 is a lot for an online tourn.

So you have to know who you're playing against. If I'm playing a $200 live tourn from early position I can fold it especially with the blinds being worthless and I could have a whole bunch of folks call after me which decreases my odds of winning.

I could care less about hands in the beginning anyway. But that same hand from late position with only that initial all in is an easy call.
You have know who you're up against, the tourn structure like how much you need to cash at certain parts of a tourn I mean its more than "ooh look, I have a pair of Aces, ME WIN, ME WIN".

This type of thinking is how all those "I got my Aces cracked with some awful hand" appear on this site, lol.

Yeah you have to consider more than just your hand in tourns is my point. I gave you position, opponent and tourn structure as some things to think about. GL

And remember, its just a pair and will get cracked something like 1/5 times against any ONE random hand.

Last edited:
C

Crazykilla4u

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if you're up against 4+ players that are all-in it is a tough call deep in a tourney. Especially if other players are at least 50% your stack. Gotta think you're up against a couple pocket pairs and or suited connectors. So your percentage to win the pot goes down to under 50%. However heads up you have to call, you have the best hand preflop and your better than 50% to win the pot

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My thought is, early in the tournament, AA is the best opportunity you can double up your stack quite safely, if you don't take it, you can't get any better chance.

tony2521

tony2521

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
If you're not going to call an all-in with pocket aces at the start regardless of the cost of the tournament then what would you call with? Regardless of the result, you have to call an all in 500%

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
lately I've been running away from AAs, even from Freeroll, in my case 90% of the time I've lost, but each case is different, and each person is different, anyway, you have the decision

P

pontvadasz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll give it a chance, although I'm a 7-8 out of 10 AA bust.