Are A 10 and A J good starting hands?

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are and Arent , Just depends on the situation. Obviously if the flop is great then they look like supreme cards , but unless you're hanging on by a thread or need to make a move I wouldn't invest to much betting into them

Viper ChipIt

Viper ChipIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In late position these hands are strong especially if there suited, from early to mid position you'll find yourself raise-folding these hands pre-flop to 3 bets. Still good enough to open most of the time though, both hands are good re-shoving hands against loose openers aswell.

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Play them for the minimum bet, if I get raised I will mostly fold.:driver:

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would open with a raise but not reraise with them under usual circumstances unless I wanted to play back at a very aggressive loose player and I had position. I would not call a big raise from a tight player with them.

P

Pete Ski

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like most questions in poker it depends. I would open these hands most of the time from later position but rarely from early position. They are generally not strong enough when facing an early raise but could be a defend from the blinds.

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My nobleman, every hand is good, poker is time, it all depends on the attitude of each player at the table, a well-placed move depends on the position you are playing. So are great hands to play in any position, does it all depend on what you want with those hands? Do you want straight? Do you want to flush? Do you want a full house? What if I raise the big blind 3 times and an opponent calls, if the flop does not help me, what will I do? So anyway, everything depends on the moment.

C

Chris2621

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes and NO

Yes they are in the right position with the right villans.
No if you are calling or reraising a preflop raiser who has some skill

Many other factors too!!!

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are good hands to play in the final positions where you can raise and force a fold but even with a call or a 3 bet depending still worth calling and see the flop already think in the initial hands should call if the table is aggressive and raise In case the cards are suited.

So are strong hands and you can consider playing with them in a few pots with great chance of having a nuts or have a favorable board.

:jd4:mateuspoker

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I do not like to play a lot with those cards, of course they are not so bad, but I only play with them if I do not have to involve many chips, for me those cards are not very reliable, it would be if I can see the flop without involving so much of my stack,

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A10 AJ

These are good starting hands in certain situations, but especially so in late position. If you are having trouble playing them in late position you are probably either over playing them or under-playing them. For example, if you are holding on to them despite poor equity because they contain an A, then you are over playing them. If you are folding them a lot because of frequent betting from people out of position, they are probably bullying you.

These hands aren't the creme of the crop, but they should be long term winning hands.

K

Keotek

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually the question itself is kind of incomplete. AT and AJ suited or unsuited? SB BB UTG? or Button? What's the field like? Loose, Aggressive, Maniacal? Raise? No Raise? Bunch of limpers? SB and no callers yet? And I'm sure even all of those addendum usually won't complete the question. My point is, starting cards is only a small part of the decision making process although probably the most important preflop followed closely by position then the betting so far and how the table play is overall. It took me a long time to realize this and the quicker a player realizes that there are many more questions to ask, along with what are my 2 starting cards, the quicker they can improve their game by making decisions based on much more complete data.

Keo

S

sillymunchie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
remember rule of thumb, if your in late position you can raise these hands, but you cant call a raise with these types of hands, if somebody raised before you they aren't worth anything, you will get position on them but supposedly they would need a stronger hand to raise from an earlier position, so your A 10 is trash in comparison to there range.
however your in the button or the cutoff and no action before you it becomes a monster hand, the chances you get folds are so good, but on top of that if you do play them and get called they aren't the worst hands in the world to play post flop, just don't get tied down to them, unless your running out of chips 10bb or less then its time to ship these hands but again only really from a later position

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
If you are in position and have no raise before you can see the flop with them, there are middle hands that are worth trying.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These are not premium hands. If I am first to open I will raise 2bb from any position and will fold to a shove. If someone has 3 bet I will consider a call from late position only. I think some players see themselves scoring a straight with these hands but they are actually difficult to play for a straight. If K or Q come on the flop some bets what do you do? Now you need runner runner for a straight and have no option but to fold. What ever comes I proceed with caution.

ironduke11

ironduke11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
everything is situational in poker...although I feel that these are not power hands in poker..these are more speculative hands....
my sole online win I avoided playing these hands fully coming down the stretch last 75 and more often than nit when I saw the outcomes of the hands a10 and aj were crushed

however if you are short stacked against tight opponents shoving with these may yield decent results.....

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel fine playing them mid to late position if I am the first to open. Otherwise it is dependent who made the initial raise.

maezma

maezma

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are good hands if played properly. For example: You must take into account the position in the table, if there were pre-flop increases and how big they were, the number of players who called the play. They are good cards to start making decisions after the flop and the actions that other players have this instance.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i like these hands but they are tricky ones, be careful with them

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is an average hand and should be used with caution. At any time you must be ready to throw this hand out. I use J and 10 only in the last position and if there are less than 4 players at the table.

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm the best ever losing against oAJ with high pairs and sAK, sAQ, if I play with them usually i lose as well. That's not about poker and luck.
sA10, I like them can be really profitable.

A

AngelBLR_Poker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, if only suited and you're on the button

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
I play them with atleast 3BB depending at what stage of the game and how the stack size is.
And than follow the action post flop.
If reraised preflop, I would call on if the hand is suited AJ +
No A10 non at all.

The main part is, how do you play them correct? Place just the BB, or raise? If raise, where too? 2 BB, 3 BB?

I get confused with these hands a lot, too.

Appreciate your thoughts. :)

LoveGamblin00

LoveGamblin00

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like any ace till 10 ( as you get extra outs for straight ) But I would never bet more then 10% of stack before flop. After the flop all depends on the action pre and board I think.
Hitting top pair 10 would give you strong hand as you have A high with it.
However if you hit an board like A-9-6 with the A10 ( no flush options ) the hand get more tricky, as you will most likely lose vs any player being aggressive, chance them having A with better kicker is high then I think.

Greetings,
LoveGamblin00

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands