Are A 10 and A J good starting hands?

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just wondering what people think about these hands preflop? I try to play these type of hands in late position to no avail. I'm just wondering if I should remove these hands from my arsenal?

S

Shanek

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
myself I really like two face cards starting out and useally raise ...my golden rule for my self is to only play pocket pairs suited connectors and hand 10 and higher and I find it works for me pretty well so I would say yes keep using them

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm just wondering what people think about these hands preflop? I try to play these type of hands in late position to no avail. I'm just wondering if I should remove these hands from my arsenal?

If flop is KQJ A10 is a monster hand if flop KQ10 AJ is a monster hand depends on situation in the game how high the blinds how many chips you have got but all in preflop when you have 20/30 or more bbs always seem to be up against AQ minimum AK or pocket pair sometimes you will get lucky and catch an A 9 or rag steal attempt if you are in the blinds but the most important thing is position and watch your opponents for betting patterns good luck

Filip Krstevski

Filip Krstevski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's really thought question. I do like them but in the certain stage of the tourney. I would never call a big shove with A10 or AJ. The cards are good for playing but i don't like them very much personally. So Playing an A10 or AJ early position can put you in a lot of trouble. I would min raise them and if the opponents 3bet i would easily fold them.(but this also depends on the position and the player, not always doing this)
Good luck.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These hands are marginal. They can be okay in certain situations but are dominated in many. This is a pitfall that many new players fall into, they just get overplayed. I wouldn't want to get into a big pot holding top pair with either of these hands.

O

OneMoreTry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main part is, how do you play them correct? Place just the BB, or raise? If raise, where too? 2 BB, 3 BB?

I get confused with these hands a lot, too.

Appreciate your thoughts. :)

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I still play those hands just don't invest so much on a raise in case you don't hit on the flop.

S

sirgobbles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely not putting too much on the preflop but I have been pretty lucky with those hands

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea those are good hands and playable. They're not great hands.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I am in utg I do not play AJ or A10, unless they are suited, if I am in late positions, I can play those hands doing 3bet or 4bet.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rather than look at just a couple of hands, I have been working on creating default ranges based on the works from Upswing Poker and Jonathan Little. The ranges consist of all the positions: Early, Middle, Late, BB, BB and the action: RFI, Facing RFI, 3 bet, 4 bet. And then work through various flop, textures and actions and the turn and river run outs. I start with their ranges and then tailor them to the games I am playing which are typically much lower stakes.

It is a lot of work but if helps with questions like what do I do with AT and AJ in various sports because it is the same as the rest of my hands in that part of my range.

B

boonvech

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if i play mtt in early stage i like to play AT,AJ but not in last stage. For cash table in early position i call and wating to see flop.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the tables 9-max offsuit cards A10 and AJ I try to play with middle and late positions. Suited A10 and AJ raises from any position.

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually, but, don't call a big shove in late stages of the game.

supernuts25

supernuts25

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a 10 i actually stay away from seems to always get me in trouble. late position both of those hands, and 10bb hands in tourneys

W

willko01000

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes

they are high probability starting cards whatever way you try and look at it. Now how many flops you need to see to make pairs trips or a straight that is down to luck and probability. Many players will force hands like these and win purely by reraising no matter what cards are released on the table. The odds of them winning with this perhaps false sense of security can be higher than simply trying to play them.

ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
great hands to open from MP and LP. great hands to iso raise with, great hands for rejamming when the stack calls for it

G

gabethegimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a good position or on the blinds yes - but we willing to give them away if need be. Raise if somebody hasn't already, if not just call if you have value or muck them.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a good hand especially if they are suited,you can play in middle position and late and in the blinds...

V

valanddon

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I try to at least see a flop with A 10 and go from there,
I watch the pro's on tv and they seem to 3 bet with that hand.

IcyNicy

IcyNicy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A 10 I would open raise if it is suited or call from late positions, if it's offsuited it's just fold from any position for me. AJ whether it's suited or not is quite a good hand to open raise preflop from any positions. Then act according to the board and that's it. I won't reraise AJ even in the position. Just call to see the flop.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These hands are fine to play. suited is better but off suit can work. You'll want to hit the flop hard though. They're marginal hands and need a lot of help. If you still just have AJ or AT after the flop then yes dump it as soon as you can.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think AJ is a good hand especially if it is suited

I think AJ is a good hand especially if it is suited. On such a hand, I can move QQ or JJ, as well as it showed itself well against small pairs, 22-88. A10 is good only if it is suited, and then in middle or late position. But if someone raises before me then I usually throw in the pass and AJ and A10. Very big risk to get under AQ or AK and lose by kicker. You need to play gently and carefully monitor the actions of an opponent.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice hands, but ....
without skill it is difficult to make money and easy to loose it.
So: get the skills required, play in position and be prepared to lay down

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands