What you think about this hand?

dzubis

dzubis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
Actually the player on the right matters greatly as they cover the main pot and there is no side pot at this point
-Your study point is preplanning a hand
If we do not raise to isolate the all-in our plan before we see the flop is to hit a strong hand to take the main pot--we did not hit a strong hand-therefore our second plan is to see as many free cards as we can---we do this by checking flop- if we do not act on plan two our third plan is to get the pot heads up vs the all-in player so we bet to get folds not for value- Our last plan is to fold as we then get action and get our stack in with a pair of fives which may be behind already or is up vs a strong equity hand draw KTss has 52% equity to our 45% we tie the rest- this is not a stack off spot
I guess i have a lot to learn. Thanks for your input.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this hand wasnt a bad beat and i think the player who has A5 suited played it badly because shoving with A5 its very risky in that spot considering that villain can have a bigger pair and even with a straight flush villain has 15 outs to win the hand,

N

Nusya

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad beat or bad play? I swear to god more often on william hill there are running pairs instead of hitting draws what is insane. Doesn't feel random. 5e buyin 3 spots away from money.
How would you played this after flop knowing that player on top left is loving to push it in with draws based on past hands?
Nothing unusual or supernatural. Just plain stupidity with a weak hand. Although at first it seemed to me that there were two Aces. Then it would all look quite normal.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I assume Hero is the player with A5s. Especially on the bubble I prefer to just fold preflop rather than get involved in a bloated multiway pot with this kind of hand.

Flop
As played check back the flop. There is no need to build a big pot with a weak pair multiway. Hero does bet though, and now Villain check-jam. I think, this is a fold near the bubble. If Villain has a better made hand, Hero is way behind, and if Villain has a draw, they are basically flipping, since most draws have overcards to a pair of fives.

Results
For something to be a bad beat, the losing player need to have been way ahead, when the chips went in. Having 55% equity is not way ahead, and Hero basically lost a coinflip after overplaying his hand.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I mean...where do I start?

I'm guessing Hero has A5 as he is center of the table.

We're 3 places from the money facing a min raise from the table chip leader and what is basically a min-raise all-in from someone presumably trying to cling on to their tournament life to limp into the money. UTG raise = strong hand. Short stack shove = strong hand and hero calls. Why? Just fold and let the hand play out. You don't want to be tangling with the chip leader in this situation.

On the flop, just check back. You have a weak made hand that you want to get to show down as cheaply as possible. The call to the raise is just suicide. Yes you turned out to be ahead (just) against his particular hand, but he still has loads of equity and has you covered.

You started the hand with nearly 34 bb and called off your tournament life with a pair of 5s. I'm sorry, but there is nothing but bad play from hero here.

dzubis

dzubis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
I mean...where do I start?

I'm guessing Hero has A5 as he is center of the table.

We're 3 places from the money facing a min raise from the table chip leader and what is basically a min-raise all-in from someone presumably trying to cling on to their tournament life to limp into the money. UTG raise = strong hand. Short stack shove = strong hand and hero calls. Why? Just fold and let the hand play out. You don't want to be tangling with the chip leader in this situation.

On the flop, just check back. You have a weak made hand that you want to get to show down as cheaply as possible. The call to the raise is just suicide. Yes you turned out to be ahead (just) against his particular hand, but he still has loads of equity and has you covered.

You started the hand with nearly 34 bb and called off your tournament life with a pair of 5s. I'm sorry, but there is nothing but bad play from hero here.
Thanks. This makes me think a bit. Live and learn.

dzubis

dzubis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
Nothing unusual or supernatural. Just plain stupidity with a weak hand. Although at first it seemed to me that there were two Aces. Then it would all look quite normal.
Ok, no need to be dick really.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think, you decided to play that A5s, but it didn 't work! Nice hand, good try!

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
K10s is a bit over confident there

JJ in that spot is a brilliant hand to be all in with

A5s you have a weak pair of fives and the wrong suit. What the hell? What did you expect? Like truly, what did you wish for? Another 5? An ace? With Ace you had two outs cause the third gave the K10 a nut flush and another 2 outs for the 5.

And this is why it is dangerous to play Ace rag even suited cause a paired rag makes you overly confident in your expectations.

Of course there were 4 chances you'd win so it's better than nothing. Many more chances to lose. That's why it's best to ask yourself "What could the others have to justify two allins?". Here, you have the upper hand, in position, to decide.

It's like "Oh there's a cliff, arghhh f... it, I'll jump anyway, I have this umbrella to hold me, saw it in a movie and it worked". It's poker, not Mary Poppins. Don't take the umbrella as a transferable skill. Maybe change the strategy from "HOOOOOOOOOOLD!" to "Oh I think I may have a good chance here, given the odds and my outs would justify it"

Don't forget. Have a laugh at it. Move on. Count.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands