What can you tell me from my stats?

Showrides

Showrides

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am new to online poker, and have only been playing a couple months. In general terms, what can you tell me from my stats? What are the normal percentages for exert poker players? I am just wondering if I am doing anything that most would think is wrong.

Here are my stats:

hands played: 20183
Hands won: 13%
Showdowns won: 52%
Flops seen: 33%
Win % if flop seen: 31%

Actions:
Fold: 48%
Check:22%
Call:22%
Bet: 5%
Raise: 3%
Re-raise: 0%

When I fold:

Pre flop: 65%
Flop: 11%
Turn: 4%
River: 2%
No Fold: 17%

Also, I play 99% sng's so my play is probably a little tighter than most. So that should also be mentioned.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre flop: 65%

Actions:
Fold: 48%
Check:22%
Call:22%
Bet: 5%
Raise: 3%
Re-raise: 0%

you look SLPP, or weak-loose to me.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seriously... 5% bet and 3% raise and 0% re-raise, that's crazy low. Aggression and taking control of the hand gives you more ways to win the pot, because you can make the best hand to win the pot or force a fold and win the pot. If you do nothing but call down, you've only got one way to win the hand. Also makes you very predictable. That's why (controlled) aggression is king in poker.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The next SNG you play, stick a post-it note over your call button and pretend it doesnt exist.

PokerPete

PokerPete

RIP Logic And Sanity
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The next SNG you play, stick a post-it note over your call button and pretend it doesnt exist.

And please, please, please for the sake Chris's (Dorkus Malorkus) sanity...never, ever "min raise". :D

Attachments

• Qhr1s0.jpg
    Qhr1s0.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 93
Showrides

Showrides

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

HAHA.

That may be a good idea. I always think of SNG's of just surviving long enough to actually play. I try to just stay in it until I am in the money, then I start playing more aggressive.

Showrides

Showrides

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And please, please, please for the sake Chris's (Dorkus Malorkus) sanity...never, ever "min raise". :D

HAHA, I know what a min raise is. I do it whenever I am trying to get someone to call.

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By looking at your stats you are not raising any hand but AA, KK and sometimes QQ and AKs. If I played against you it would be an easy fold if you raised since you obviously only raise with a monster.

Showrides said:
HAHA, I know what a min raise is. I do it whenever I am trying to get someone to call.
With only a 3% raise I would be willing to bet you haven't raised more than a min raise very often. Raise at least 3X what the original bet was - make it look like a powerful move - you are trying to represent a powerful hand by raising.

Showrides

Showrides

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By looking at your stats you are not raising any hand but AA, KK and sometimes QQ and AKs. If I played against you it would be an easy fold if you raised since you obviously only raise with a monster.

With only a 3% raise I would be willing to bet you haven't raised more than a min raise very often. Raise at least 3X what the original bet was - make it look like a powerful move - you are trying to represent a powerful hand by raising.

Honestly, I only raise when I want people to call, or when I am trying to figure out what someone has. It is very rare I raise to get people to fold when I don't have atleast a strong hand.

So I do min raise a lot so I can get them to call me.

T

taktaka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, I only raise when I want people to call, or when I am trying to figure out what someone has. It is very rare I raise to get people to fold when I don't have atleast a strong hand.

When you have the best hand so you should usually protect it. Min. raising only gives your drawing opponents the proper odds to call you. Make your opponents pay to play.

Showrides

Showrides

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you have the best hand so you should usually protect it. Min. raising only gives your drawing opponents the proper odds to call you. Make your opponents pay to play.

Thanks for the info.

Any experts on here want to post their stats? I am very interested to see what a real poker players stats look like.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Min-raise is a definite no-no, with those stats I'll put a scenario that just may relate to your play: you hold 10-10 and are in the BB, you have 3-4 callers ahead of you so you just check when play comes around to you or even min-raise, which the others just call. The flop comes 10-5-8 with any 2 of the 3 flop cards being suited, checks all around to you, you min-raise(bad idea with 2 suited cards and possibly 1 or two of the others are holding suited connectors, you didn't raise enough to chase these players out of the hand), the turn card is a 4, now your thinking "great, nothing, lets put out a min-raise to see what another person has" and now your in a hand you cant seem to get away from.
Another player re-raises you, What do you do here, call? push? fold?, possibly call here is my guess, hoping to pair the board and the river is 9 suited to the same suit of the other 2 cards on the flop, now you have no choice but to fold to any raise b/c of the min-raise you made pre-flop and post flop. there's a straight and a flush that both beat you.
just remember that this is a hypothetical situation, but you might just relate as I have at one time.
But with all the advice I received here at CC I never min raise unless I know I have the nuts.

Showrides

Showrides

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Min-raise is a definite no-no, with those stats I'll put a scenario that just may relate to your play: you hold 10-10 and are in the BB, you have 3-4 callers ahead of you so you just check when play comes around to you or even min-raise, which the others just call. The flop comes 10-5-8 with any 2 of the 3 flop cards being suited, checks all around to you, you min-raise(bad idea with 2 suited cards and possibly 1 or two of the others are holding suited connectors, you didn't raise enough to chase these players out of the hand), the turn card is a 4, now your thinking "great, nothing, lets put out a min-raise to see what another person has" and now your in a hand you cant seem to get away from.
Another player re-raises you, What do you do here, call? push? fold?, possibly call here is my guess, hoping to pair the board and the river is 9 suited to the same suit of the other 2 cards on the flop, now you have no choice but to fold to any raise b/c of the min-raise you made pre-flop and post flop. there's a straight and a flush that both beat you.
just remember that this is a hypothetical situation, but you might just relate as I have at one time.
But with all the advice I received here at CC I never min raise unless I know I have the nuts.

That happens a lot. I have had many hands that I started out with great cards, but then gotten beat on the river by a strait or flush. The problem is, I worry that they are just going to call my big bet anyways knowing they have the strait/flush possibility. And then when I get beat, I get beat by a lot more.

And since I am always playing $4 sng's, I am not playing against high quality players. These types of people will call strait/flush draws even if I raise big.

That is probably why my raise/re-raise percentage is so low.

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

The problem here is you aren't giving your opponents a chance to make any mistakes. You make money by making other players make mistakes. By min raising you are giving them correct odds draw to a straight or a flush or any other hand, therefor if they have odds to draw, they will be +EV, which in turn means you have to be -EV. I suggest reading a few books that deal with issues such as these. I would recommend a few, but the one that may help you the most is "The Theory of Poker" by David Sklansky. This is a HUGE hole in your game and one that you must remedy sooner rather than later.

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That happens a lot. I have had many hands that I started out with great cards, but then gotten beat on the river by a strait or flush. The problem is, I worry that they are just going to call my big bet anyways knowing they have the strait/flush possibility. And then when I get beat, I get beat by a lot more.

And since I am always playing $4 sng's, I am not playing against high quality players. These types of people will call strait/flush draws even if I raise big.

That is probably why my raise/re-raise percentage is so low.

You need to raise enough so they don't have odds to call you. If they fold, you take the pot down immediately. That is good. If they call, they are making a mistake. You may lose a few hands, but in the long run you will come out ahead because (the other side of the coin of what I mentioned in my other reply) if they are calling against the odds they are -EV, which in turnmakes you +EV.

Start reading some books such as Low Stakes Hold 'em, The Theory of Poker, Harrington on Hold 'em (Vol 1 - 3) or countless other books and they will all explain why you must raise more and why pot odds are so important.

Showrides

Showrides

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to raise enough so they don't have odds to call you. If they fold, you take the pot down immediately. That is good. If they call, they are making a mistake. You may lose a few hands, but in the long run you will come out ahead because (the other side of the coin of what I mentioned in my other reply) if they are calling against the odds they are -EV, which in turnmakes you +EV.

Start reading some books such as Low Stakes Hold 'em, The Theory of Poker, Harrington on Hold 'em (Vol 1 - 3) or countless other books and they will all explain why you must raise more and why pot odds are so important.

Thanks for all the info. Luckily I have some good poker players around me here at school, so I have plenty of people to teach me things. I just can't believe how aggressive they play, and even though some of them are up 20K overall, I have seen them loose hundreds of dollars in just minutes. One kid even was up 170k here, and ended up being 14k in the hole last week. I just don't like seeing these aggressive players doing so well, and then having times when they just lose so much.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all, I'd like to say that I agree with the consensus. Your way too passive. Secondly, I'd like to congratulate you on an above average post for a new member. It's nice to see someone looking for help rather than a freeroll password. What are you using to collect those stats? A couple of things that struck me (beyond the lack of aggression) were that you seem to have an awfully lot hands for 2 months of play, and, that you're a little low in your win-rate when you see the flop, 40% is the minimum you need to win consistently. There's alot of waisted chips there. This usually happens when you see too many flops out of position. You should be very selective of the hands you play from early or middle position. Top 10 only and raise. Forget the low suited connectors.

You seem to do ok on the showdowns, 52% but that speaks more to you passivity than it does skill. No offense. You like to limp in alot but unless you flop a monster, you're unlikely to continue. Am I close?
Anyway, welcome to the site and good luck

Showrides

Showrides

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, I'd like to say that I agree with the consensus. Your way too passive. Secondly, I'd like to congratulate you on an above average post for a new member. It's nice to see someone looking for help rather than a freeroll password. What are you using to collect those stats? A couple of things that struck me (beyond the lack of aggression) were that you seem to have an awfully lot hands for 2 months of play, and, that you're a little low in your win-rate when you see the flop, 40% is the minimum you need to win consistently. There's alot of waisted chips there. This usually happens when you see too many flops out of position. You should be very selective of the hands you play from early or middle position. Top 10 only and raise. Forget the low suited connectors.

You seem to do ok on the showdowns, 52% but that speaks more to you passivity than it does skill. No offense. You like to limp in alot but unless you flop a monster, you're unlikely to continue. Am I close?
Anyway, welcome to the site and good luck

Well let me explain my logic, and you can tell me where I go wrong.

First off I used bodog to collect all those stats. I have never reset my stats since I joined. And I play all day so that would explain all the hands I have played haha. What can I say, I am addicted.

As far as my play goes, it takes place 99.99% in sit and gos. Now the blinds start out fairly small 10/20, and you start with 1500 chips. Every 10 minutes the blinds increase.

I figure I want to play as many decent hands early as possible. Since it only costs $20 to see a flop, instead of $100 like it does later. And once you catch one great flop, I try to double up or make a lot off of it. So I play a lot of not so good hands early, but hope for better flops.

When the blinds go up, I can't play as much and only play the very strong hands.

A decent hand for me is usually a high face card (k or Ace), and a kicker of 7 or better. A good hand that I would play later is pretty much only A,K, or a pocket pair greater than 8,8.

I hate playing pocket anything less than 8 if the blinds are too big, and I am not sure if that is a problem. I just figure there are so many over cards, and so many people that could easily have better hands than me after the flop.

So for SNG's let me know how that strategy sounds. It has been working, but I have noticed there are some more aggressive players that seem to do better. I rarley am chip leader before the 5th person goes out. But once that person gos out, I get real aggressive.

Also, what is considered pot committed? Someone told me that if BB is more than 1/5 your total chip stack, you need to think of going all in soon. is that true? I understand what being pot committed is, but what percent do you guys consider it to be on blinds, and if you are just playing a normal pot?

Thanks a bunch! I have already been raising more today and have been getting people to fold. I had 3 A's and there were 2 hearts on the table, and I raised 5x BB to get a person to fold. Many times I have ended up losing that to a flush :)

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great to hear that you are having success with your new found knowledge!

As for your strategy, just because it is cheap to see a flop, doesn't mean you should see it. What you are doing early in a SNG is trying to build an image that the rest of the players are going to notice. If you play only monster hands early people will watch and make notes that you only play premium hands. Then when the blinds get to be meaningful you now have a very strong image that you can use to your advantage. Stealing blinds late in a SNG becomes very important and the only way you can steal effectively is with a strong image.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing trash hands are very tricky. If you limp in with K 7 and there is a king on the flop what do you do? It's easy to get second best with these hands and lose a lot of chips. If you flod to aggression when the king hits then you shouldn't be playing it to begin with.

Aggresion is important, but it should be controlled aggresion, picking your spots and paying attention to position, stack sizes and type of opponent.

Showrides

Showrides

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing trash hands are very tricky. If you limp in with K 7 and there is a king on the flop what do you do? It's easy to get second best with these hands and lose a lot of chips. If you flod to aggression when the king hits then you shouldn't be playing it to begin with.

Aggresion is important, but it should be controlled aggresion, picking your spots and paying attention to position, stack sizes and type of opponent.

Very true, and I have stopped doing that. I used to play with cards like that, and end up folding in fear of getting out kicked. So now I just don't play them since I wouldn't feel comfortable betting them even if I did get a pair.

And to the previous poster. I have a question.

I know a ton of guys who play between 5-9 tables at a time. There is no possible way they can keep track of all the players and their betting patterns. How to expierianced poker poker plays like that play well? That has always made me wonder.

Showrides

Showrides

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Short answer? Poker Tracker.

Poker tracker (see Chuck's article: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/general-poker-13/pokertracker-guide-beginners-79761/ ) will track how often you and each of your opponents sees a hand, how often they raise PF and countless other things that allows people to multi-table with amazing success.

Yeah, that would work. But the people I watch don't use it.

I think they just play all of their tables the same. One kid I saw raised preflop on every table on the same hand. I think he just has a set pattern to how he plays all the time.

Poker Tells