Two pair with a pair on the board

BoTY

BoTY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Today in a freeroll I was on the button with pocket aces, rose 5x BB preflop and two people called.

KK3 Rainbow on the flop.

Now I was in a big pickle here because it was quite far in the freeroll so it wasn't the usual mugs that you play and I thought maybe someone had the K. I did the math and realised that a 2 of out 47 chance was something I was prepared to risk and with my top two pair I was in a good seting to take the hand, another big raise and two callers. Turn and river were dead cards.

Long story short i lost the hand to a set of K's

How do you approach these hands, especially when your second pair is Ten or higher? And whats any advice for me in the future?

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First things first you lost to trips not a set of Kings. When there is a pair on the board and you have a matching card in your hand that is trips, when you have a pair in your hand and a matching card is on the board that is a set. Now I would most likely bet that flop if it is rainbowed, around a pot bet if you get smooth called or reraised be prepared to fold. With 2 kings on the board you have enough information to know that there is a good chance you are beat no excuse to not fold unless you are pot stuck. another move would be a check raise if you are playing a player whom you think bluffs alot. You will get alot of people here tell you to check and fold I almost NEVER employ that strategy when there is a monster board only do that when I have a dam good idea I am hit. Reason being you will actually get A LOT of folds in that situation but you know if you get called or raised you are beat and betting is not a bluff with a pocket pair it is a semi-bluff.

BoTY

BoTY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As soon as I finished the hand I knew I played in completely wrong.

Cheers for clearing up the trips set thingie.. Make me look like the newbie I am :D

diabloblanco

diabloblanco

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Xdman with the sage advice asusual:
3 of a kind with one matching hole card is trips, with a pair in your hand and one on the board is a set.

As for the hand, again he came through. You have got to be able, as a successful player, to let a hand like your bullets go after the flop if you feel you must. Being married to a hand is the worst mistake people make. Once you slide that initial 5xBB bet into the pot, it no longer belongs to you try to think of it as already gone, if you consider it yours, you're going to have a much harder time letting a hand like that go.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
xdmanx007 said:
First things first you lost to trips not a set of Kings. When there is a pair on the board and you have a matching card in your hand that is trips, when you have a pair in your hand and a matching card is on the board that is a set.
I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't know that. I've always used the 2 interchangably. Glad I never got called on it. :icon_joke
5Min's Later.
I just pulled out my the first poker book in my library LEARN HOW TO WIN AT TEXAS HOLD 'EM POKER FOR 5 BUCKS! by Mark Strahan. No laughter please.
There it is right there on page 14. I've even got it highlighted!

Last edited:
joshyb20

joshyb20

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow. I'm sure I've slipped that in conversation, w/o realizing it at some point. Glad no one I play poker with would have realized my mistake! lol. In this particcular case, you know there is only 2 cards in the deck he could have had to beat you. Depending on his playing style, and your read on him, you should have had a fair assessment of whether or not he was bluffing the K. I would check raise here, because if you bet, more than likely he will just check you down and bet big at the river or at a q, j, 10 that might have came up, and then you are thinking high 2 pair. If you check, he more than likely raises, you call or fold at that point. If not, check it down so that you further minimize his pot, while taking the chance that you have the best hand, w/o risking too many chips. Marrying your aces is a good way to fall out of contention.

C

chicubs1616

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bet the flop in your situation.

If he calls or raises you have to think about the type of hands he could have called preflop with.

As you said, it is the later stages of a torunament so he probably isnt calling with a garbage hand like J6 or something.

He could easily have two face cards (KJ, KQ) or a hand like AK or AQ. He might even have a smaller pocket pair.

If you bet the flop and get called you have to assess the situation:

1) If he had a lower pocket pair, would he call down to the river, or would he raise thinking he had the best hand.

2) If an opponent had a king, would he slowplay it and call or raise on the flop?

If you bet on the flop and get raised you have to consider:

1) Would he raise with a smaller pocket pair or if he was on a bluff? or...

2) If he had the K, would he fastplay it?

I bet this flop and if I get two callers, I might check the turn unimproved.

Crippler450

Crippler450

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BoTY said:
I did the math and realised that a 2 of out 47 chance was something I was prepared to risk
You calculated your odds completely wrong. 2/47 would be the chance of randomly drawing a K. This should never be used in a poker game because the chance of someone staying in with a K is MUCH higher than the chance of someone having a 2, 3, etc. NEVER calculate odds this way (you will get burned constantly), only calculate odds of catching your flush, straight, etc.

MicheleW

MicheleW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just my thoughts, but if I was on the Button with A's - I would have just limped in and slow played them. Then watch the flop and seeing the K's come out, see how everyone betted around since I was last to bet. Seeing that flop, I might think someone had the K/3 and a full house - especially in a freeroll where "interesting" players abound. LOL Then I would have folded if there was more than one left in the pot.

Since you are the last to bet, why not slowplay - you will lose less chips that way if you have to fold OR can raise if you have the best hand. If you were first to bet, then the bet 5X the BB might have scared them off. It seems freerollers don't like to give up any bet when raised, so they call everything. Freerollers does not equal folders. LOL

BoTY

BoTY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cheers for all the input guys. Shows I still have alot to learn.

B

bigjenna4155

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well it was in the freeroll and you were going for money, ide have to think about that for a while,it would be a hard desision but ide probably fold:(

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why are you bumping such old threads :/